Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sacramento Area Bandsters?

Looking for support in the Sacto area!

Was banded 10/20 by Dr. Machado

I live in Citrus Heights - Work in the Arden area

Hi,

I live near Lake Berryessa in Napa county not to far from you. I was banded by Dr. Kuri January 11th 2003. I am also in need of support and look forward to talking to you more. Good luck with your weight loss. Jessica

Hi,

I just sent you an email, but will also reply here in case the email doesn't go through.

My name is Mercy and I was banded this past February in Roseville by Dr. Waldrep. I have a small Yahoo group for local Sacramento Bandsters. Our group have been banded by different Drs, a couple were even banded in Mexico.

We meet once a month for lunch. We are meeting a week from Saturday on November 19th in the Natomas area. Here is the link to join our group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ Sacramento_Valley_Bandsters/

(Remove the space before the "S" in Sacramento, I had to put a space there, otherwise, the forum goblins would eat the link.)

Please feel free to share this link with other local pre or post-op local bandsters.

Mercy

hey there! I live in Vallejo, and was banded by dr. Kuri July 12th--there are some other support groups on yahoo too. I even started one--still small yet when I first got banded because I couldn't find anything in northern california--turns out they are there--just harder to find than all the socal ones. anyhow--love to chat with ya anytime--

shrina

7/12/05 Dr. Kuri

274/230/125-150

fills: Dr. McKeen (san jose) 3 --2.4cc current total in a 4cc capacity 9.75ml inamed band

Guest cali4101

Hello fellow Sacramentans!

I am just starting the long process of being approved for the Lap Band.. My Dr. is Dr. Patching and I have Healthnet for insurance. My BMI is 41 - and I CANT wait for that to change!!! Any advice is welcome!

My band will take place in early April 2008. I live in Elk Grove (Sacramento County). I would like to find a support group for banders. One that does not criticize the band approach rather than the gastric bypass approach. Any assistance would be appreciated.:)

I'm so glad this popped up in the threads again. Looks like an old one that's been revived.

I would LOVE to find some local support in Sacramento.

I just submitted a request to join the Yahoo groups mentioned above.

Let's keep this one rolling.

Looking for support in the Sacto area!

Was banded 10/20 by Dr. Machado

I live in Citrus Heights - Work in the Arden area

I live in Elk Grove and hope to be banded by late March or Early April 2008. My last psyche consult is this Friday. Its great to know that there are other banders in the Sacramento Area.

Hi Morningoasis811. I live in Elk Grove and notice you had Dr. Fuller at UCD Med Group as your surgeon? I, too, have UCD as my med group (Anthem Blue Cross). I have an appointment with my PCP mid-March and was wondering if you have any advice? I've done some research and will ask for a referral to Drs. Ali and/or Fuller at UCD. I called Anthem BC to see what my coverages were but they told me I had to go through the medical group. I have a relatively low BMI of 35 and am concerned I may not be big enough for the surgery? I do have high BP (already on meds) and high cholesterol, so I'm somewhat optimistic I will qualify. Thanks for any advice. Best of luck to you.

Hi 65toGo,

Yes, I had my lapband surgery done by Dr. fuller at UCD in October of 2007.

I had Healthnet at the time and everything was covered. I was worried of course but the gals at the clinic assured me that I'd be good. I had previously lost weight using OA and was supervised by my PCP so that helped (even though I gained it all back) my case AND my BMI was over 40. So I'm not sure for you since every insurer is different. But if the surgeon feels that you're a candidate I know they will fight for you. They seem to do a good job of making a case for you. If you have co-morbidities (bp and such) you might be good. I know the band is preferred for lower BMI's in general I guess...

Word of caution to you though, UCD is not Pro-Band. I had to fight pretty hard for mine. I think I was only the 8th band they did. Usually they do the band as a back up if you are not considered a good candidate for bypass. Feel free to message me with questions along the way or let me know how your experience is going.

If you do get the band through them, Dr fuller himself does all the fills. The nurses are great. I go in once a month for an adjustment.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Emily~

65togo

Just thought I'd jump in. I'm in central CA but my mom lives in the Sac area. She had GBS through UCD with Dr. Ali and loved him. I don't know how he is with LBS but she was thrilled with her experience with him and his staff. Thought I'd let you know.

Best wishes in your journey!

Emily and Heartfire, thanks for the advice. I did read on the UCD web site they perform the RNY procedure with no mention of the band. That's too bad. As long as I can handle NO, it never hurts to ask though, right? :)) If I do have WLS, I absolutely do not want the bypass procedure. It's just too invasive.

I've lost 51 lbs. on my own (it's taken me three long years) and if I am denied by insurance, or UCD will only perform the RNY procedure, I will continue on my path until I reach my goal. I may never reach what the BMI charts suggest is a healthy weight, but I will reach a reasonable weight for my frame.

Thanks again.

I went to the seminar for Dr Ali @UCD, and walked out because of how negative he was about the band. Personally I didn't want to fight that hard for a surgery that the surgeon didn't believe in. I didn't want him to say "told you" if I had a complication....

I was banded 2/11 by Dr Koura out of the methodist hospital. I look forward to meeting a support system here in town.

Hello Sacramento Area Bandsters---

I am scheduled for surgery on March 25th. My surgeon is Dr. Waldrep with SALSA. On Saturday my husband and I are attending the support group for Waldrep. According to their staff they can have 50-70 in attendance. Is anyone else seeing Dr. Waldrep?

Michelle

Hello All:

My name name is Reg Toran and I am waiting to be schuled for my band

surgery. I plan to be be banded at the Kaiser Hospital in Fremont,CA.

I have been advised that I will probably have the surgery late April or

early May 2008. I am new to this group and sometimes it is easier to

ask questions and get info in person rather than rely on e-mails.

After some input from several members, I would like to schedule a

support meeting on Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM, at my home:

3551 Marsh Creek Way

Elk Grove, CA 95758

916-897-9432 (Home); 916-558-1804 (Mon - Thurs before 3:00 PM; or 916-

203-0463. E-mail: spartans818@... or rtoran@...

If attendees provide the beverages, I will provide the food. If people

have special diets, please let me know. If this date is acceptable and

you would like to attend, please RSVP by March Tuesday, March 24.

I look forward to meeting you and hosting this meeting.