Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get un-stuck?

I'm still new...just got my first fill. I have not PBed yet..ever, but I definetly got stuck this morning....it was Peanut Butter toast, which I was able to eat fine before my fill. It was so painful...my eyes started watering, it hurt to inhale...etc...I just wanted it to come up or go down!

What have you done to imediately relieve the stuck feeling?

If you PB, how do you do it?

I am pretty new to this as well, but for me, it helps if you stand up. Sometimes raising my arms above my head helps. Bringing your arms back down sometimes increases the pain, but if you raise your arms back up and down and up and down, it seems to help the feeling go away after a bit. I have read on LBT that other people have used an papaya enzyme, but I have not picked those up yet. Once I get closer to restriction, I may have to give those a try. It did not take but one or two stuck episodes for me to learn to chew better (like my doc and NUT told me to do in the first place), and to cut my food up on the plate into smaller sizes, and to take smaller bites. Sometimes I hate it that I have to learn for myself what I should have done in the first place. :)

Best of luck to you.

I've been banded since May 2008. The way I get unstuck, if stretching and standing don't do it, I throw up. It works for me. I'll wait as long as I can (to see if the food will move on its own), but if it's not moving and I'm in pain, I stick my finger down my throat.

Works every time.

I've been banded since March of 09 and have a few tricks that usually work. I hate vomiting, so I try to avoid that as much as possible, but sometimes it's the only thing that works and I only let my body make that call, I don't force myself just becuase of my complete aversion to it.

I've tried raising the arms, walking, sitting in a chair with my head as far between my knees as I can, practically kissing the floor-for whatever reason this makes food go down, not come back up! I've done the papaya enzymes, those are specific to Protein dissolving though. I try to "burp" myself by smacking my hand on my chest, drinking warm to hot Water, spitting as much as possible until the food goes down, sheesh, I didn't realize I had tried so many things! Goes to show different things work for different people...there is no magic thing that will work every time though...

Since my last fill in October, I can not eat toast of any type any longer, and Peanut Butter has to be small amounts at a time, make sure it is down, then take another small bite. I can do crackers but not even grilled cheese. For some reason though, cracker barrels biscuits go down fine, in small bites. I limit myself to 1/2 a biscuit at a meal, which is not that often anyway, except now that we have been traveling for a week I have had it twice, and will have it at least once more before we get home.

What helps me when stuck is hot tea, and if it is really stuck, i will stand up and bend over, whatever it is comes up pretty quick, and then life is good again. Only had that happen a few times since October, but it is my own fault.

Hi there - well a lot of bandsters might not agree but I can't take that pain of food being stuck. Honestly, what works for me, is to then take a drink of water...it shoots that stuff right up and you are out of pain. Yes, unfortunately, it is throwing up. But the pain is gone. I too have tried papaya enzymes and they work sometimes when it's not so painful..but you know when it's sticking...I've tried waiting it out an hour or so and can't take it. I drink something and it all comes up. Sorry, it's not pretty but it does work - it's relief. Good luck.

I drink something and it all comes up. Sorry, it's not pretty but it does work - it's relief. Good luck.

I wouldn't call this 'throwing up' (aka vomiting). I had to do this once last week when I was too tight. When the Water went down, it seemed to move things around (which were blocking the opening) but the Water came right back out just by leaning over slightly. No massive heaving, bile or regurgitation which is typical of vomiting.

I told my husband it reminded me of a backed up toilet. I just had to remove the clog and then things went down fine. :lol:

PB-ing and "Stuck" are two different regions of hell. If you are stuck, lean way over the toilet and cough like you mean it. If there is no Fluid in there, you might take a sip or two. Not a gulp, a sip. Oh, and remember to stand straight upward between the times you lean over. Then lean and cough again. The trick is to get your diaphragm to help you get that out of there. Luckily stuck doesn't happen too terribly often after the first little while. You might find that you are done with bread if this happens a couple of times. Since you got stuck real good, you might try some cold things for a day or so until the swelling does down. Hope you feel better soon.

Best advice I can give -- as soon as you start to feel any discomfort stop eating until it goes away. If you ignore it and keep eating, you are in trouble. Can't say how many times I have done that. :biggrin:

There is not always an immediate relief.

One of my first stuck episodes went on for 5 hours. I never knew a body could manufacture so much liquid. I kept vomitting, but the offending item would not come up. After hours of torture, it finally cleared...that was the worst.

A few things that have worked for me:

Walk, walk, walk, and walk. The more you move, the less it hurts. Making weird faces seems to help, too. :tongue2:

Hubby will rub my back to help me burp. Same principle as burping a baby.

Mix a little baking soda in Water and drink it down. This will often bring it back up with very little heaving. Be near a sink or toilet when you do this.

Sometimes I can just lean over the toilet and work my stomach muscles and bring it up.

Last resort is a finger down the throat.

Sometimes it will take more than one attempt to get the "cork" out of the bottleneck. But once it comes out, then the relief is immediate.

After a bad episode, I take it easy for a day or two and stick with soft foods. My stomach can be sore for a while.

I have problems with breads and dry meats. I pretty much avoid them these days.

Best wishes on your journey.

Denise

Oh, forgot to mention -- PB (productive burp) you don't have control over. You burp, and surprise! You have a mouth full of whatever just went down.

Edited by Cocoabean
grammar

Oh, forgot to mention -- PB (productive burp) you don't have control over. You burp, and surprise! You have a mouth full of whatever just went down.

Wow...I've never had a burp that big! Don't think I want to either. :biggrin:

Mine, when I forget to chew (which usually only happens on the first bite), are tiny little burps that just sort of 'move' things around. After a couple painful moments, problem is solved.

guys guys guys to get unstuck all you have to do is get some tissues and blow your nose pretty hard thats gona push what ever it is all the way down to uranus

Wow...I've never had a burp that big! Don't think I want to either. :biggrin:

Mine, when I forget to chew (which usually only happens on the first bite), are tiny little burps that just sort of 'move' things around. After a couple painful moments, problem is solved.

Worst PB ever for me---Newbies--this might gross you out..but it wasn't painful, just surprising!:

This was just last week. I was in the middle of a slime episode where I was holding the paper towel up to my mouth. I was sliming a bit. Was going to spit it into the towel and burped at the same time. This jet propelled the slime and food into the towel. When it hit the towel it then shot backward and spread out all over my face!

EEEWWW! That was a new one. Thought I had experienced everything in two years! NOT!!

Hi there - well a lot of bandsters might not agree but I can't take that pain of food being stuck. Honestly, what works for me, is to then take a drink of Water...it shoots that stuff right up and you are out of pain. Yes, unfortunately, it is throwing up. But the pain is gone. I too have tried papaya enzymes and they work sometimes when it's not so painful..but you know when it's sticking...I've tried waiting it out an hour or so and can't take it. I drink something and it all comes up. Sorry, it's not pretty but it does work - it's relief. Good luck.

Warning if drinking something (they say hot Water helps) be VERY VERY close to the toilet. I tried this at work (I don't recommend it unless you are in big distress)... and I had cocoas experience but worse projectile foam out of nose and mouth that I could not control. This lap band lends itself to some weird experiences.

Warning if drinking something (they say hot Water helps) be VERY VERY close to the toilet. I tried this at work (I don't recommend it unless you are in big distress)... and I had cocoas experience but worse projectile foam out of nose and mouth that I could not control. This LAP-BAND®® lends itself to some weird experiences.

Oh yes, hmarko, if you opt to drink something in quantities larger than sips, the reaction is generally immediate!

I tried sipping pineapple juice early on, it didn't help me. I like a faster result.

I have learned over time that when I get stuck, in order to feel better sooner, what goes down must come up.

Ah, they joys of banded life. But still, one of the best decisions I have made. :unsure:

Denise