Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Opinions on Shapewear Please

I'm now 76 pounds down and it's time to buy some Shapewear for special outings. I carry most of my excess weight in my lower half, so I want one that will control my thighs/bum, but don't want something that will create a 'muffin top' (or muffin thighs) either. I've read that the high waist ones (just below the bra line) roll down easily (I don't have a huge stomach). Anyone have a favorite brand/style that works well for them? Thanks! -BG :)

I bought some Shapewear from Kohls (made by Flexees) that is from over the knee to just under the bra line. I wore it for our Christmas pictures to control my belly roll under a sweater. I never had problems with it rolling at all and I really thought I would. It certainly did the job and wasn't cheap, but definitely did the trick and I felt so good about myself!

I'm now 76 pounds down and it's time to buy some Shapewear for special outings. I carry most of my excess weight in my lower half, so I want one that will control my thighs/bum, but don't want something that will create a 'muffin top' (or muffin thighs) either. I've read that the high waist ones (just below the bra line) roll down easily (I don't have a huge stomach). Anyone have a favorite brand/style that works well for them? Thanks! -BG :)

I love my spanxs. I get the ones that have shorts and go all the way up to under my boobs.

However, for REALLY great support I have what I call "power panties" that I got years ago from Lane Bryant. They are underwear that go all the way up to under my boobs, black, shiny, snap crotch and all! They do not roll if they are the right size and go up far enough. They are wonderful!

These both sound like good options! I'm looking for some GOOD shape wear as well.

Thanks for the ideas, ladies :-)

I liked Spanx but they are very costly and I could not pay that much so I opted for believe it or not girls Walmart. They have a couple of brands that are very good. I have the same issue which is a little roll right at my mid section which my surgeon tells me will not go away for a bit. George by Walmart makes a sort of camisole thing that is really nice and very cheap. it has a cotton top so you can wear a bra under it but attached is a control panel type of bottom. The great thing about it is you can't tell you are wearing under anything and it smooths out your entire stomach area and you don't have to unsnap anything to go pee. The other brand at Walmart is called Sweet Nothings and they make a variety of slim wear compression type thing that I bought but same style with straps that I can wear with my bra but camisole style. There is one more I thought of at Walmart called Curvations with the bra built in. I wore it all day today and it worked very well also.

My favorite are Spanx. They are costly but they last forever. I get the ones that go up to my bra and have never had a rolling problem.

I cant tolerate having my entire abdomen encased, it makes me feel ill. So for the occasional special slinky dress, I like the bike short type things. I only need a normal waist as my stomach is flat, if any lumps or bumps are going to show, it will be the saddlebags.

However, even though I have thin legs, I notice that anything with a "band" will show a line there, you've got to be careful with the edging on them.

Thanks gals! Good to know there's ones that won't roll! I'll check them out! -BG

I do wear Shapewear and have for a long time. I am just now relaxing a bit but was approached by someone wanting to fit me in a Body Magic shapewear. Does anyone have it and if so what is your opinion of it? She told me there is no obligation to buy after the free fitting but that although I've lost weight, this would make a huge change in my appearance. I'm going to do the fitting and compare the before and after by pictures so that I can really see the difference.

I do wear Shapewear and have for a long time. I am just now relaxing a bit but was approached by someone wanting to fit me in a Body Magic shapewear. Does anyone have it and if so what is your opinion of it? She told me there is no obligation to buy after the free fitting but that although I've lost weight, this would make a huge change in my appearance. I'm going to do the fitting and compare the before and after by pictures so that I can really see the difference.

I have never heard of that brand but would be interested in knowing the outcome of your fitting. Please post back with the results.

I have Body Magic Shapewear and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is quite pricey, but so worth it. It is really well made and sturdy. I got the one that doesn't go down my thighs (because I pee a lot and that snappy crotch would get on my nerves - this one only has 2 snaps). It really makes me have a figure. My boobs are wear they are supposed to be and it makes me look bustier. It also makes your posture better. My back feels so good in it. I paid $107 for it. I think the one that goes down the thighs is $140. I will have to do some before and after pics with it so you can see.

=)

We happened to be at Kohl's tonight so I bought one of the Flexees ones to try. I tried on both the one that has thigh and tummy control and then the 'Ultimate' control one with thigh control (both came above the knees to just below the bra line and both list 'firm control'). I liked the 'Ultimate' one better because it had nice wide bands with a sticky backing at both the top and at the thighs. The other one had just a thin line of elastic top and bottom that left more of a line. They both seemed to give the same kind of support...I was surprised the one I picked didn't say tummy control, but it seemed to do the same job...actually the one with tummy control gave me rolls when I sat down where the seams went across the stomach (just because of how it was constucted). The one I picked didn't have seams there, so it didn't give me tummy rolls. I'll let you know how it goes and I'll take a look at the other ones too. Thanks again!

Just an update...I blogged here about my Shapewear purchase experience...if you're interested click 1/5/10 Body Shapers - LAP-BAND