Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who are losing hair

I just wanted to let those of you who are losing their hair know that it does eventually stop.

I began losing my hair by the hand fulls about 4 months post-op. I am now just over 8 months post-op and the Hair loss has finally stopped and I am beginning to notice new Hair growth.< /p>

So don't panic, it's only temporary.

Good to know Happy... It has just begun for me. Do you reccomend taking Biotin? I have read in previous posts that it helps? ;)

PS: Thank you for always being so nice and positive.

I started taking Biotin when my hair started falling out. It really didn't seem to make any difference at all.

Recently, somebody told me to try taking Zinc. I started on the zinc a few weeks ago so not sure if the zinc had anything to do with it stopping or if it was just time to stop. Either way, I'm really glad it has stopped because I could not afford to lose much more hair.< /p>

Thank you so much AZ for the compliment. I'm not so sure I deserve it though because there have been times when I wasn't so nice or positive.

Happy New Year!

I don't know if this really helps but I used conditioning Shampoo and no conditioner and that seemed to have less Hair loss. I have a ton of hair so I am not too worried about the loss but the times I have done this I come out with less hair loss.

I started taking Biotin when my hair started falling out. It really didn't seem to make any difference at all.

Recently, somebody told me to try taking Zinc. I started on the zinc a few weeks ago so not sure if the zinc had anything to do with it stopping or if it was just time to stop. Either way, I'm really glad it has stopped because I could not afford to lose much more hair.< /p>

Thank you so much AZ for the compliment. I'm not so sure I deserve it though because there have been times when I wasn't so nice or positive.

Happy New Year!

what is zinc where can i get it from my hair is coming out so bad n i dnt wnt 2 have 2 cut it off

Hey Happy2,

Hairloss was my fear all along.. so I too started to take 2000mg of Biotin every day.. it did not make a difference.. everyday, I can see the hair coming out.. (sigh).. I think the big factor is making sure you are hitting your Protein gram intake every day.. otherwise the body really does sense the dietary changes. I am glad to hear that you are back on the right track.. I am hoping that I am not too far behind.. keep us updated..

Zinc is available where Vitamins are sold. I don't know if zinc really helps or not though.

I have always managed to get all my Protein in daily. I really don't believe lack of Protein had anything to do with hair loss.

I think everyones fear is hairloss. Now when you said you always got your Protein in and you still lost it that is concerning. I am one week out and not getting my protein in each day since I just can't drink that much so I am really worried.

When you say it was falling out did you have like Patches people could see? Or was it thinner? Because my hair is pretty thin already.

Hi All,

I, too, am worried about Hair loss. I will be banded in 2 weeks. I will make protien a priority but fear it won't matter. My doctor says getting the protien in will prevent the hair loss, but my cousin was banded and lost a lot of hair. How thin is your hair getting, if you are losing hair? How many people overall are losing hair?

I too started loosing hair at about 4 months post op. I am now 6 months post op and still loosing hair. Thank God I have a ton of hair, or I would be freaking out. I am taking Biotin, and getting enough protien, but no change. Thanks for the info!

Thanks so much for posting this. I am losing serious hair and I do a good job of getting around 60 grams of Protein every day. I am so relieved that you are seeing it taper off.

Here's an article you all may find useful. I found it during my research on the surgery. hair Loss After Gastric Bypass: Tips For Losing Less And Regrowing More Faster

Basically they go over Protein, cuts, blood flow, nutrients, etc.

And something that's not mentioned there.. Crystal Light makes a hair and nail nourishing drink, try adding those as part of your liquid intake. Chances are you're drinking Crystal Light anyways.... I love the Peach White Tea

ymjackson1,

I just checked the Crystal Light website, I didn't see one for hair & nails. They have one for the skin. Is that the one you meant? If not, what flavor is it?

I think some people are more prone to hairloss. I have very fine, thin, straight hair. My hair started thinning a lot at about 3 1/2 months post op. I am almost 6 months post op now and not sure if the thinning is slowing or not. I know I do not have regrowth yet.

I have been taking Biotin and trying to keep my Protein up for many months. It doesn't seem to help, so I have kicked it in high gear and started trying everything else I can think of. I use nioxin Shampoo and conditioner, got some liquid silica from a heathfood/vitamin place that is for hair/skin/nails, started taking nioxin Vitamins, got the equate brand/ Rogain, take multi-vits. ................

I don't know if any of it has helped. Maybe it has. Maybe the hairloss would be worse if I was not doing some of it. Who knows? I am glad to hear that it does get better at some point. I work with people, up close and personal, every day. Thank goodness It isn't noticable to other people, just me and my hair dresser.

ymjackson1,

I just checked the Crystal Light website, I didn't see one for hair & nails. They have one for the skin. Is that the one you meant? If not, what flavor is it?

I have two seperate boxes that say "Skin, hair and nail nourishing" I have Peach White Tea and Pomergranate.