Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total weight loss

I'm in the process of trying to get the band. So, I've been looking at the trackers at the bottom of each post. Some of it seems insane. For example, one poster said she was banded on 12/24/09 and she had lost 33 pounds. It is currently 12/29/09. Can you really lose 33 pounds in 6 days? I did a double check of the date, and it seems a little weird to me... unless she was full of Water?

Also, another poster had her band in for 3 months and lost 77 pounds. That averages about 26 pounds per month, and that seems more likely-ish?

I know everyone is different, but can someone enlighten me about how much weight is lost? I'm mostly confused about the first example.

Everyone is different and their bodies react differently. And those who have the most to lose I notice lose a lot fast. The body is going into shock, a person who used to take in 3000-5000 calories a day (it's not that hard if you including soda pop) is now down to 500 calories or less. So yes, it is possible to lose that much weight. Also, exercise plays a KEY role. If someone who has the band doesn't do a very good diet or excercises much then they naturally aren't going to lose as much at their counterpart. Or someone has a very very slow metabolism. Also, another person used to be thin and healthy before they became obese..the body has a great memory so their metabolism may kick in to over drive and the weight melts off. There are a lot of factors.

ETA: as for your first example, the woman who lost a lot of weight in 5 days. She most likely didn't. She may be including her pre-op diet weigh loss. Most surgeons require you to lose some weight before they do the surgery. For example, I haven't lost 28 lbs since the 22nd (surgery date) that total is inculding the 18 I lost in my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. So that's where you might be getting mixed up. Hope that helps.

I have lost 28 lbs in 21 days!!! It's crazy, I know but it's true!! Everyones body is way different.

Edited by Sweet Pete

ahhh... I will take 28 pounds in 18 days:);) sounds like the biggest loser:):laugh:

I am having surgery on the 26th of January and am also looking at the numbers for curiosity and motivation...

I am shooting for 60 pounds, 6 months and hoping for more but will settle for anything:):w00t:

I can't wait to get my ticker going:):tt2: someone to be a motivator instead of needing the motivator

Good luck everyone

60 pounds in 6 months is a good goal and attainble. Also, be aware that there are some bandsters who posts a couple of tickers and some who post mini goals. They may put a goal on a ticker of 25 pounds by for example Christmas or something like that. I am hoping to make my final goal by my Mom's B'Day. I have 20 pounds to go. Hopefully I can get there. Good Luck to you!

Ahhhhh, thanks Sweet Pete. Now I understand. That helps a lot. I guess my body will go into shock. I have a ton of weight to lose. Gah!

I am hoping to put these mini goals on too.. just learning the signature part, can't find how to get my ticker on...yada yada yada:);)

I am making my mini goal of 10 pounds January (pre-op) and 10 pounds in Feb... any more will be gggrraavyyy - no pun intended:)

Alot of that you see is also people who have lost weight pre-operative. I lost 50 pre-op so in the very beginning it looked like I'd lost 100 Lbs in 3 months. Of course that is ridiculous fast right?

Now it looks like Ive lost 1 Lb a month since banding! ;)

I started counting when I had my first consultation with my surgeon on September 18th.

I haven't been banded yet but I also didn't think it was very productive to wait to be banded to start losing weight.

I still haven't decided whether I will restart my ticker when I get banded or leave 365 as my starting weight.

You know.. you could have two tickers...total and just after banding...

It is all mental and motivation with those.. visualizing the goal and the progress...I love those tickers.. still figuring how to get mine on.. ;):) dang technology, I have to get my teenage daughter to show me.....

Jennifer

I am hoping to put these mini goals on too.. just learning the signature part, can't find how to get my ticker on...yada yada yada:);)

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/#post1384706