Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering LapBand at Strax Rejuvination in Florida

I am considering LapBand at Strax Rejuvination in Florida. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this facility/company? Thanks!

I was also considering doing the lap band surgery at Strax in Ft. Lauderdale, but I did some research and the doctor that does the surgery is not a bariatrics surgeon, he is a plastic surgeon. I personally prefer to do the surgery with a bariatric doctor. I don't know where in florida you live, but their is an excellent doctor in Miami, by the name of Dr. Anthony Gonzalez, he is one of the best or the best bariatric surgeon. He was the first bariatric surgeron in South Florida to perfrom the single incesion lap band surgery. I have an appt. next week for and information session. I really like the idea of not having 5 different incesions, this doctor performs the operation through your belly button. I spoke to the surgery coordinator this week and she scheduled the information session for me, and she also told me that he surgery would cost 16,500. I will be self pay, she also gave me the number of Health One, which is a company that gives loans for elective surgeries.

is the doctor Choi? Because I'm in the process of having the surgery.

I had My surgery with Dr. Choi at Strax. His staff is great and the surgery went great. They answered any questions I had but I had me questions ready when I went in.

They have called a couple of times since the surgery to make sure everything is ok.

I had my LAP-BAND® procedure done at Strax. I am 12 days post op and feel great! I'm down 28 lbs (including pre-op diet) and am excited about a healthier, happier future.

Dr. Choi was very personable and friendly. The one thing I noticed though, was that he didn't go into great detail, explaining things like what to expect, fills, diet, etc. He seemed to be in a rush the few times I spoke with him (pre-op appointment, day of surgery, and first follow-up appointment).

However, I had already done extensive research on the band for over a year, so it wasn't really a big deal. I knew what I was getting myself into. And to his credit, the few questions I DID have, he answered to my satisfaction. So I guess I would just advise anyone going to him, to have their questions handy (even written down), to ensure all their concerns are addressed.

He also called me at home the morning after surgery, to see how I was doing. I missed the call, but heard the voicemail. I was impressed that he actually called to check in. It made me feel liked he cared. LOL

The facility at Strax is well-equipped and very clean. They have a full operating room and recovery area. The staff is very professional and caring. Everyone I came in contact with, put me at ease (I was a nervous wreck). I got there at 8 am, and was leaving by 11:30. The actual surgery took less than an hour. I was even able to fill my pain medication at their pharmacy, for a mere $16.

I was a bit hesistant at first, since lap banding at Strax seemed to be a fairly new procedure being offered. But from the research I've done on Dr. Choi, (as far back as 5 to 6 years- in New York), I couldn't find anything negative. And he told me he was trained by bariatric surgeons (can't remember exact details).

Either way, I am very pleased with my experience there, and would recommend Strax/Choi to anyone. :)

OMG!!! I finally found some people who had or is having surgery at Strax. I'm scheduled to have surgery on the 26 of this month. Butterfly723 you were very helpful. I felt the same about Dr. Choi, but I didn't care much about him giving me info because I've done alot of research. Also I'm a nurse so I know what I'm getting myself into. Dr. Choi actually works in the bariactric unit at Memorial hosp anyone could check. I did.

Regine,

I'm an LPN and currently in an RN program. I do some of my clinicals at Memorial, and didn't even realize Dr. Choi worked there! :smile: So much for my "research", huh? LOL

Anyway, I read your post asking about whether or not it is normal to be scared. Let me tell you, I was petrified on the morning of surgery. First of all, I had my pre-op appointment 3 weeks before surgery. So Dr. Choi wanted me to lose 20 to 30 lbs. I did the diet for 2 weeks, where dinner was included. Then the last week it was 3 to 4 shakes per day only.

Their scale was about 6 lbs different from mine. According to my scale, I lost only 16 lbs on surgery date, but on their scale it was 22 lbs. So of course I was freaking out, thinking I didn't "really" lose what he wanted. And I would wake up without a band, from a fat liver. LOL But thank goodness that wasn't the case.

And of course when they put me on the OR table, I felt for a minute like jumping off and forgetting the whole thing. Something about being intubated scared me to death. In fact, as I was drifting off to sleep, I kept trying to open my eyes, fighting anesthesia. LOL

I heard them joking that they were going to get this one guy to do the intubation, because he needed practice. I said, "I can't open my eyes, but I hope you guys know that I can hear you." Everyone started laughing. And before I knew it, surgery was over.

I was wheeled into the OR at 9:10 am, and woke up in recovery at 10:10 am. I told my nurse I had "bad gas pains". She said it was from my surgery. I was like, "It's over??" When she said yes, I said "Thank you, Jesus." LOL

I was a but nauseated at first, but that subsided before I left the facility. And Dr. Choi only prescribed Percocet. I was worried at first, because I thought I'd have nausea at home. But when the nurse asked if I could have a prescription for it, he said I wouldn't need it, because it was only from the anesthesia. He was right!

I had shoulder pain for one day post-op. The heating pad helped with that. And then I took Gas X and Percocet for all the other pain, for a few days. The pain was mostly from the gas they put into your abdomen. My incisions (four across the abdomen, and a smaller one kind of between the breasts) didn't bother me. The whole thing really wasn't that bad at all. So no worries! Think positive and have faith, and you will be fine. :laugh:

can anyone tell me how much the lap band costs at strax? I'm a nursing student at FIU in Miami and am on a tight budget. My boyfriend got one but it cost $16,500 and I cannot definitely not do that much. Please help.

My surgery date is 04/20/2010 @ Strax.. I was quoted $10,999.00... I am nervous about not loosing the weight required of me to have the surgery.. To date I have lost 10lbs and started the pre-op diet on 03/23/2010..

Butterfly 723 - So they did the surgery with on a 22lbs weight loss?! I am really concerned about that. I am having a hard time with the shakes..

can anyone tell me how much the LAP-BAND® costs at strax? I'm a nursing student at FIU in Miami and am on a tight budget. My boyfriend got one but it cost $16,500 and I cannot definitely not do that much. Please help.

Strax quoted me $10,999, but I ended up paying $10,000. Reason being, I was initially considering going to a doctor in Ocala (Jawad), who at the time quoted me around $11,500. This price included fills and aftercare for 2 years.

Strax charges $250 for fills. So when I told the coordinator at Strax, about the price Jawad's office quoted during my consult with them, and brought up that his deal was better because the fills were included, they then dropped the price to $10,000.

There are 2 other people on here who I saw paid $10,500. So I think they try to match or beat the best price you have been quoted elsewhere.

Also, I was given the quote from Strax in October. Their quotes are only good for two weeks. But once you put a down payment, the price is locked in and they will let you make payments. So I put $4500 on Care Credit in October, made a few payments in between, and paid the balance off in February with my tax return.

Around the holidays, I received e-mails from them, advertising the band for UNDER $10,000. But since I had already had my quote and surgery date, it didn't apply to me. So if you can stick it out until the end of the year, maybe you can get it for under $10,000.

Edited by butterfly723

My surgery date is 04/20/2010 @ Strax.. I was quoted $10,999.00... I am nervous about not loosing the weight required of me to have the surgery.. To date I have lost 10lbs and started the pre-op diet on 03/23/2010..

Butterfly 723 - So they did the surgery with on a 22lbs weight loss?! I am really concerned about that. I am having a hard time with the shakes..

Yes, they did the surgery with me showing up as 22 lbs lost. But like I said, their scales are off (someone else on here mentioned the same thing). So I was actually only 16 lbs down according to my scale. One of Choi's patients on here only lost 15 lbs, as well. But she was a good 25 lbs lighter than me. So for all I know, he might have only told her to lose that amount.

But like I have read others say, it isn't so much the amount of weight you lose, but that your liver shrinks. So I would think that as long as you aren't cheating on the diet, even though the pounds aren't dropping off, the liver is still shrinking.

Prior to surgery, the last weigh in I had was with the nutritionist. And it was only 12 lbs at that point (his scale was the same as mine at home). He was a bit concerned, since I was only a week away from surgery (and Choi said to lose 20 to 30 lbs).

He said Choi's office would call with pre-op instructions the day before surgery, and would ASK my final weight over the phone. I found that a bit weird, because if he thought it was so important, why wouldn't they have made me come to get weighed in person, right? But when they called, they didn't even ask. I told them anyway, and they didn't seem to care. LOL

That is so good to know... I am really stressing about this weight loss I have been exercising like crazy and keeping my mind motivated on the end results to come. Thank you

I'm also having my suregry at Strax and I'm so happy to find other people on here who have one through the process with them. Everyone in the office is super nice. Dr. Choi was as well but was a bit rushed....he was to the point and was there if I had any questions. All in all it's been a good experience so far. I start my pre-op diet on 5/3 and my suregery is scheduled for 5/14. I am really excited and nervous!!!!:redface:

Hi Rubio5:

I'll be rooting for you on May 14th!!! My surgery is set for June 11, 2010 at Strax in Soouth Fl with Dr. Michael Choi. They're charging me $11,500. How much is your surgery?

Thanks,

SkipinMiami

:thumbup:hello everyone! i just got back from strax and met dr choi...he was very nice and the staff was awesome. i even asked for a tour and they said absolutley!!! i am a heart patient so i'm very nervous that it's not in a hospital! but after reading this page i am soooo ready!!!! making it for middle of august!!!! please, everyone-----keep writing about your weight loss after surgery from dr. choi!!! i want to know!!!:thumbup: