Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on Dec 18th and Need Help

Hey everybody!

I'm having some concerns about my lap band.

I was banded dec 18th and a few days after the surgery I had to force myself to eat, only because I was in so much pain that I didn't have an apetite.

It's my 5th day today, and since yesterday I have been starving. I don't know what is going on. I drink my liquids, and it's like they aren't going anywhere because I stay hungry. It couldn't be head hunger because it's physical growling. Even while I'm eating and drinking my stomach growls. Actually, that's when it does it the most. What is going on??

Also, if I eat something. I pass mass amounts of gas. If I drink Water, I pass mass amounts of gas and my stomach just gurgles. I don't know if any of this is normal or not.

When I stand up it feels like my stomach is just hanging in there. I have to hold it. Is that normal as well?

Also, the papers they gave me said that I need 32-64 ounces of liquid a day with 70 grams of Protein. Then is says at least 64 ounces or water a day.

How is that even possible? Wouldn't it stretch my pouch if I drank that much Fluid in a day....I'm so confused.....and starving.

Please help me...I don't want to fail at this as well.

I was banded on the 10th. I didn't feel like eating for 3 to 4 days also and then the hunger came. I had to wait one week from the day i left the hospital to start puree which was a friday. I was crazy hungry on Wed. If i would of saw someone eating then i would have stolen it hungry. What i did that helped was i got chicken noodle Soup, cooked it, and took out the noodle and meat. Drank that and felt satisfied, not full but comfortable. If you think about it you rally don't have a pouch, your stomach kind of curves because the band isn't full. So you still have your same stomach with nothing in it. so of course your hungry. i hope this helps.

Yeah the pouch thing makes sense. You did help some, and I'm going to go try that noodle thing right now because I'm sooooooo hungry. I feel the same way, I'd love a big meal right now, but only because I'm friggen starving. I can't believe I have to wait a month before I get a fill...

Everything you described is normal so please try not to worry so much.

What you are going through with hunger now is perfectly normal. So normal that it has a name "bandster hell". Until you start to get some restriction through fills you will feel very hungry. This is the time when will power is much needed. Try and drink all the Water because it does help some to starve off hunger. Just follow your post-op instructions and don't eat anything you aren't suppose to. This is the time for healing and following your surgeon's instructions. It will only take you a fill or two before you start to feel better. Gas is normal. Some have it more than others. You can use Gas-X as needed. Hang in there! It does get easier and before you know it you will be down 40-50 pounds.

Merry Christmas!

Donna

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. I'm glad there is a name for it because I was concerned. It just sucks that I'm going to have to use will power for a whole month because they aren't giving me my first fill until the 18th. Oh my...thank you for the help. Have a very merry christmas and a happy new year, and congrats on the weight loss.

Hey everybody!

I'm having some concerns about my LAP-BAND®.

I was banded dec 18th and a few days after the surgery I had to force myself to eat, only because I was in so much pain that I didn't have an apetite.

It's my 5th day today, and since yesterday I have been starving. I don't know what is going on. I drink my liquids, and it's like they aren't going anywhere because I stay hungry. It couldn't be head hunger because it's physical growling. Even while I'm eating and drinking my stomach growls. Actually, that's when it does it the most. What is going on??

Also, if I eat something. I pass mass amounts of gas. If I drink Water, I pass mass amounts of gas and my stomach just gurgles. I don't know if any of this is normal or not.

When I stand up it feels like my stomach is just hanging in there. I have to hold it. Is that normal as well?

Also, the papers they gave me said that I need 32-64 ounces of liquid a day with 70 grams of Protein. Then is says at least 64 ounces or Water a day.

How is that even possible? Wouldn't it stretch my pouch if I drank that much Fluid in a day....I'm so confused.....and starving.

LOL! I was walking around holding my stomach. I thought it was strange because I never read about anyone else doing the same thing. I'm relieved to know that I am not the only person who had this problem.

- Val

LoL Yeah, that's what I do as well. About how long did it take for you to stop doing that and feel normal again?

LoL Yeah, that's what I do as well. About how long did it take for you to stop doing that and feel normal again?

I stopped about 1 week post-op.

- Val

Personally if you're that uncomfortable I would suggest calling your dr. I was banded on the 18th as well and all of my pain and discomfort was gone by Sunday the 20th. I ate some mushies on sunday before I was STARVING after not eating for about 5 days. Monday I had creamy Soups and Jello mixed with greek yogurt for Protein.

I have restriction, not sure if it's swelling or if my surgeon put something in my band but I can't seem to eat more than 3-6oz at a time before I get the "full" feeling. I feel full 80% of the time.. I almost have to remind myself to eat.

Pre-op I drank 100oz of Water a day, post-op I struggle to get 32 oz down.

follow your post-op instructions and call your dr to make sure everything is going well for you.

Hang in there. It gets easier. The gas will soon get out of you. Keep using the gas X. You do need to drink lots of Water and the fluids run right through the band so that is no worry. If you are allowed Protein Drinks, they will help keep you fuller. I remember I was starving also, on the 4th day. I called the nutritionist and got permission to start some Soups ahead of schedule, but be sure to get your Dr's permission or from his office. Walk as much as possible to get the gas out.

Hi There-

I was banded just 3 days before you so here is my take on things.

1. Yes I still hold my stomach sometimes - I asked the doc today and he said it is from the muscles being pulled/pushed or streched during surgery. It goes away though, I'm already only doing it when I get up and down.

2. I was on Clear liquids for 6 days post surgery. The only thing that kept me going was Jello and Soup from my favorite restaurnt run thru a strainer. I had chicken chunk and french onion - both broth based and both strained. Finally once I had a bout 4 oz of Soup the hungry subsided.

3. Day 7 I moved to full liquids and truly found out how much my tastebuds had changed - a vanilla yogurt lite and fit was now too sweet to eat and anything citrus(orange juice) gave me the hiccups and made me feel quesey.

4. Gas leaves as soon as you get it out - so use the gas x strips I was taking one every 3 hours or so and walking every chance I got even if it was just thru the house. The gas was gone for me by day 7.

Good luck

Hey everybody!

I'm having some concerns about my LAP-BAND®.

Also, the papers they gave me said that I need 32-64 ounces of liquid a day with 70 grams of Protein. Then is says at least 64 ounces or Water a day.

OMG I too was banded on Dec 18th. I have not had any gas pains but this gas is no joke i drink Water its time to clear the room. TMI sorry lol...... I too am hungry I so cant wait to have real food on Jan 7th i start mushes on Monday. Lets stay strong.:)

Thanks for the reply. Let's stay strong is a good idea. =)

Thanks so much. I feel better now. However, I do not fill up after eating. I take about 4 bites and can't eat anymore because I feel full, but I think that it is just gas that is filling my stomach up when I eat because about 30 minutes after I'm starving again. I'm trying to stay strong though. By the way, how many ounces are we recommended to consume in a meal?

Hey, where did you get that ticker thing. I've went to that site but can't seem to get it to go where I want it to.