Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OH the holidays!!!! HELP ME!!

I feel like such a failure at this point. I have gained 6 pounds in 2 weeks. All of the candies and people bringing in wonderful foods for the Christmas holiday. I am so weak.

My restriction is not yet where I need it to be. Only had my first fill on Dec 17th.

I can eat and only feel uncomfortable, not yet been sick. Oh I am so bad.

Please tell me I can get through Christmas and move on back to my weight loss as usual.

I vowed today to do better and to not eat the sweets. Only to eat what makes me feel satisfied even if it does not seem like enough food.< /p>

My head is not listening to my tummy. I am still working out every other day or two. I am still kind of tender with some of the workouts from the surgery on Nov 25th. Sometimes I feel like I am pulling an incision when lifting or pulling at the gym.

Anyway please tell me I can get through Christmas with no more huge weight gain.

OH I am doing so bad. I had lost 11 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks. NOw I have gained 6 in less than 2 weeks. :tongue:

Mary, I hope your surgeon released you to work out. We don't want you to hurt yourself by doing too much too soon.

You just have to find the strength within yourself to say no. Don't give in to your urges. It is the practice of walking away from it that will make you stronger in the future.

You should not be lifting or pulling yet!! I had my surgery 11/23 and was told no lifting or crunches till January. Your gym time should be every day. 45 minutes, cardio, like treadmill, eliptical, or bike. Or walk 3 to 4 miles every day.

Your head controls you. Not your band. You have to learn to be strong enough to let the band help you. Your band will let you eat 4000 calories a day if you let it, cause you can slide crappy food by it. Is that why you went through all of this? Be honest with yourself....

Cut the junk, exercise every day, and you will not gain. You will lose.

Good Luck....

TJ

I feel your pain on this!! I had FOUR parties in 8 days. Got on the scale reluctantly come Monday morning...only to find I was up 9 pounds. Now I know I didn't eat more than 31,500 extra calories in 8 days so it had to be at least partly related to the contents of the food. You know what I mean...more salt, etc. So I've been really strict eating, and drinking extra Water this week, and as of this morning (I couldn't stand not to weigh and just check), I am down 5 pounds. 5 pounds in 2 days? Yeah there was a lot of Water, LOL.

For me the worst of the holidays are over. No more parties. Family dinner on Christmas Eve and again on Christmas Day but my daughter doesn't put on a crazy huge dinner on Christmas Eve and I'm cooking Christmas Day so there are some limits in place on things like salt.

I know the rest of that 9 pounds will go away as quickly as they came but once the whole holiday thing is over, I know things will return to normal and I will be back to losing actual fat.

Good Luck to you!!

This is an excerpt from Geneen Roth's website http://www.geneenroth.com/. It's something to think about. Eating is so often about more than just food. The holidays are hard for everyone in one way or another. Good luck.

More About the Holidays

A friend of mine once asked a 6-year-old girl what she wanted to be when she grew up. "A person with really long arms," the child answered.

"Why?" my friend asked.

"So I can reach across the table and eat all the chocolate chip Cookies before my brother gets any."

"So, when you are 25, do you think you will still want all the chocolate chip Cookies? "

"Yes," the girl said.

"Do you think that adults want the same things they did when they were children?"

"Absolutely."

When I heard this story, I thought about my friend Minnie who, when I started teaching her to eat intuitively, bought six packages of Sara Lee brownies and ate them all, even though she didn't really like brownies. Why, I then asked, did she choose to gorge on something that didn't even thrill her?

"Because," she said, "I wasn't allowed to eat them when I was a kid, and now that I can eat what I want, I'm making up for lost time."

Makes sense. But only if you believe that you are still that same kid. Only if you believe that you can make up for deprivation in the past by eating everything you want now. During the holidays, if we make decisions about what to eat based on the desires of the children we were, we get lost and dazed and fatter. It's as if we are possessed by so many desires, memories, and needs from the past that we can't figure out what the adult in us truly wants right then.

Which brings us to the holiday season, when the child you used to be is in full command, ordering you to give her all the things she wasn't allowed to eat — fruitcake or Sara Lee brownies or sugar cookies with red and green sprinkles or anything else she wants. And while we are eating, we will feel free, which we never truly felt as children because the big people were lording it over us, telling us what to do.

The truth that we didn't want to admit back then is that kids do need adults to set limits, to say, "No, honey, you'll be sick if you eat the whole plate of cookies and then drink three glasses of eggnog."

Don't try for perfection. Do the best you can within your limits and let the rest take care of itself. Despite the voice that tells you otherwise, you are not in control of the immediate universe. And since you can't achieve world domination, maybe you should try to control what you can control, which is what you eat.

My second thought is that you might ask yourself what you want now. If the answer is that you want long arms so that you can grab all the cookies or that you want to hide the plum pudding in your bedroom so you can eat it all before bed tonight, you know that the child in you is directing the show. That child is opening your mouth, putting the food in, grabbing for more.

Edited by willowcat

He said I could start working out. I have slowly been progressing. I started on the walking and then to the bike and now to a little of the machines. I back off if I feel it is too much.

I have done really well today. I can only go day by day. I told myself I was going to do better today. So far I have stuck with what I told myself.

Thanks for your reply.

Mary, I hope your surgeon released you to work out. We don't want you to hurt yourself by doing too much too soon.

You just have to find the strength within yourself to say no. Don't give in to your urges. It is the practice of walking away from it that will make you stronger in the future.

Cathy,

I know this is my problem. I also know once all the holiday goodies are done I will do good.

I just needed to vent and to express my annoyance in myself.

I also needed a reminder of why I did all this. I love all of the reminders. It is really helping me tell myself to stop letting my mind do the talking.

Again thanks everyone.

I feel your pain on this!! I had FOUR parties in 8 days. Got on the scale reluctantly come Monday morning...only to find I was up 9 pounds. Now I know I didn't eat more than 31,500 extra calories in 8 days so it had to be at least partly related to the contents of the food. You know what I mean...more salt, etc. So I've been really strict eating, and drinking extra Water this week, and as of this morning (I couldn't stand not to weigh and just check), I am down 5 pounds. 5 pounds in 2 days? Yeah there was a lot of Water, LOL.

For me the worst of the holidays are over. No more parties. Family dinner on Christmas Eve and again on Christmas Day but my daughter doesn't put on a crazy huge dinner on Christmas Eve and I'm cooking Christmas Day so there are some limits in place on things like salt.

I know the rest of that 9 pounds will go away as quickly as they came but once the whole holiday thing is over, I know things will return to normal and I will be back to losing actual fat.

Good Luck to you!!

Mary,

All you can do is your best. You will feel stronger every time you pass on the urge to eat junk. Hang in there, once the holidays are over it will be much easier.

Well I made it. Got through Christmas, I was trying to be good and I must have done something right. I am 0.6 of a pound to being back down to my lowest weight. :thumbup:

Thank you all for your support and advice.

We can all do this. We can help each other when the going gets tough.

Best of weight loss to all, and to a slimmer New Year!:thumbup:

I'm glad you posted this, because I was thinking to myself this morning, how is it that it takes me a week to lose a pound, but yet I gained 3 in 4 days!!!!? It is very frustrating. However, just like you, I need to get back on track this week and get rid of them.

I will have my second fill on January 24. That should help.

Good luck to you and I am glad that you were able to lose it so quickly.

Nora

Nora, thanks. You can do it!! I know you can. We all just need to get back on the wagon :thumbup:.

It is hard to get back in the right routine after the holiday, but we can do it. I am going to the gym after work today, and I am going to do my best to get back on track starting today with my eating.

Anyway, I know you can get back on track and you will lose weight in no time. :thumbup:

Mary

I'm glad you posted this, because I was thinking to myself this morning, how is it that it takes me a week to lose a pound, but yet I gained 3 in 4 days!!!!? It is very frustrating. However, just like you, I need to get back on track this week and get rid of them.

I will have my second fill on January 24. That should help.

Good luck to you and I am glad that you were able to lose it so quickly.

Nora