Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band removed = no more shoulder pain?

I am 15 months out from my banding and the left shoulder pain that I had right after surgery resolved after a couple of weeks but I still get left shoulder pain from time to time. It has been very painful the last couple of days. I saw my PCP about it awhile ago and had an x-ray. It didn't show anything.

I am convinced it is band related. Did any of you who had your band removed have left shoulder pain that went away after the band was removed?

I am curious have you had an MRI or something else to be sure it isn't band related? I am interested to see what responses you get also. I have no problems at all.

No MRI, just an x-ray. Everything was okay. Maybe an MRI is the next step.

If you do the MRI make sure that you have the inflamation down(if any), friend of mine husband had surgery once and still in a lot of pain in the shoulder, they didn't see the big problem and had to do a bigger surgery 6 months later for a problem they couldn't see due to the inflamation they claimed. he does roof work so after being off all those months they could see the big problem, now he is recovering again hopefully a success. good luck! Shame in a way if it wasn't the band at all and you removed it!

I am 15 months out from my banding and the left shoulder pain that I had right after surgery resolved after a couple of weeks but I still get left shoulder pain from time to time. It has been very painful the last couple of days. I saw my PCP about it awhile ago and had an x-ray. It didn't show anything.

I am convinced it is band related. Did any of you who had your band removed have left shoulder pain that went away after the band was removed?

Did you get your band removed? I have a hard time following these threads. I know you as a terrific smart gal from the rant on choice. I am in the hospital right now with gastroparesis and have had shoulder pain intermittently since I had my gall bladder removed Jan 14. I now have a stomach swollen up like mad and an ng tube down my throat waiting for my doc to decide what to do next. I am thinking at this point just get rid of the daayang thing! What are your thoughts on it?

Corliss

Corliss and Cleo's Mom: Both of you should read the thread by tgka23 who just had her band removed on 1/19/10 called "Band Removed 1/19/10".

She said the left shoulder pain is now completely gone. I've read a lot of threads about persons with that pain but I've never had it myself. (I've just got a band that's leaking).

Good luck to both of you...

I do know that the band could be sitting on a nerve which causes shoulder pain. When I got fills prior to being rebanded (due to slip), I had shoulder pain but for some reason it was always my right shoulder and would go away when I lost a few pounds... Same thing when people have port pain in the beginning, the port is sewn to close or right at a nerve. Anyway that is what I was told.

Did you get your band removed? I have a hard time following these threads. I know you as a terrific smart gal from the rant on choice. I am in the hospital right now with gastroparesis and have had shoulder pain intermittently since I had my gall bladder removed Jan 14. I now have a stomach swollen up like mad and an ng tube down my throat waiting for my doc to decide what to do next. I am thinking at this point just get rid of the daayang thing! What are your thoughts on it?

Corliss

No, my band isn't removed but all the fill is. I had to go to the ER in December and was admitted overnight due to being severely stuck. I was in soooo much pain I could hardly function or talk. I had a friend drive me to the ER. The doctor there took out all the fill. I had about 1.5 cc's in my 4cc band. I didn't get immediate relief but overnight it slowly got better. I had an upper GI the next morning and everything was fine. Then another one several weeks later. Still fine.

But back to the shoulder pain: The PA (with my new surgeon) said my tubing is close to the diaphram and it could be causing referred pain to my left shoulder. I have a new surgeon now who didn't do my surgery. He doesn't use the long tubing my former doctor does. I will probably have to get an MRI at some point to rule out another problem but if it's the tubing it will require surgery to shorten it. As you can imagine, that isn't something I would like to have.

As for fills. Not in my future. I've been everywhere from 0 to 3cc's (too tight) and none of them reduced my hunger or helped me feel satisfied. I am going it alone, so to speak, and am doing okay. Hungry, but okay. But I have been hungry the whole time I've had this band (18 months).

My wife and me both had over fills then got sick with gastroparesis about six months later we both now have to have a a sleeve. Does any one no if this is caused by the lap-band?

Corliss

My wife and me both had over fills then got sick with gastroparesis about six months later we both now have to have a a sleeve. Does any one no if this is caused by the lap-band®?

I wish my doc had been trained in the sleeve. I sure do want one. Hope he learns to do it and can undo this tacked stomach and fix me a sleeve someday in the future. I am afraid my band won't do any good I have just had such bad luck with it, though my initial wt. loss was wonderful. Again, good luck to you guys.

Corliss

I think my body is a little strange. When I was banded I never got the left shoulder pain but now that my band is removed I find if I eat too much I get the left shoulder pain. My doctor says it is because my stomach is smaller and still recovering from having the band removed.

I had a band slip, which caused severe chest and shoulder pain. I had the band removed 3/15, and while the chest pain was gone right after surgery, the shoulder pain is just now getting better. I didn't have it the whole time with the band, only at the time of the slip. Hopefully, it's on the way out for good, because it has made these past couple weeks miserable.

Hope your pain can be resolved.