Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not banded yet, will be in the spring of next year. I had a question...

When I had my initial consult, they told me I would most likely lose 1/3 of my current weight once I had the band put in place. I am 350 now, and they want me to be 20-25 pounds lighter come surgery time. So we are looking at about 100 pounds that will be lost. While being 230-250 is a heck of a lot better than I am now, I was hoping for better results.

I was wondering what anyone over 325 has gone through once they got the band. Have you been able to lose more than a third of your weight? Do you find those pounds after the suggested weight loss hard to get off???

I understand it's about health, and at 250 I would be healthier than I am right now. But at 250, I would still be considered morbidly obese... and unhealthy. So I was just curious!

Thanks so much!!!!!

That's an awfully negative prediction. I think you'll find that the majority lose much more weight than this, although actually losing ALL your excess weight doesnt always happen.

Even then, its within your control. You can have the band put in and then do nothign except let it do what it will, or you can make healthy food choices and exercise, in which case you'll have a lot more success.

Or you can exercise REALLY hard and you'll probably lose it all.

You have to realize that the use of the band isn't years & years old. The stats are based on the few years it's been in use.

My doctor says that it will be up to me as to what I lose. I went to group support mtg on Saturday and met a lady who has lost 287 pounds. She started at over 350 but didn't want to say how far over.

My doctor pretty much told me that as well, that I'd lose 50 - 60% of my EXCESS weight, not current weight, so they were putting me at about 230 or so as well (I was 340 when I started seeing my surgeon). BUT, I know someone who started at 290 and is down to about 140, so she lost ALL of her excess weight. So, it is possible. I think they base their info on past data, and as with any weight loss program, so do very well, and some don't do well at all, so the numbers they give is average. My personal goal is 180, but if I can get under 200, I'd be super happy! Just to be able to wear and XL shirt and shop in ANY store instead of having to go to Lane Bryant or Catherines, not have to get an extender for the plane, fit in the rides at the amusement park, and excercise without tiring so easily, I'd feel my lapband was a success!

Even though I didn't have as much to lose as you I wanted to post here. I think you can reach your goals if you set them and give the real effort which as Jaqui said is making healthy choices and exercise and then exercise some more. It has helped me so much. Be prepared for plateaus and working through them and moving on to the next weight loss phase and most importantly don't give up. There was a lot of issue with my weight loss final goal between my doctors. I wanted a goal of 150 and I am 5'8". I first encountered a problem with my PCP who asked me about my goal since I am getting closer to it. I told her and she was really adamant that I don't lose that much and that I chose a more realistic goal of 160. Then, same conversation with my heart surgeon and then same conversation with my bariatric surgeon. I finally gave up and changed it but I decided to let me body tell me when to begin maintenance mode. When it quits, it quits and I will be happy with it regardless. Heck, I am happy now but not happy enough to quit trying. So, I guess my point is no matter what someone tells you, set your own personal goals and go for it until your body auto stops for you.

Thanks everyone. I have already started watching what I eat (thanks to the 1500 cal diet they put me on) and started an exercise program. I plan on exercising more as the weight comes off (right now, knees are killing me, but I expect that will lessen in time). I want to make up for lost time of not enjoying the things I used to!!!!!

I don't plan on stopping at 230. I would love to get back to 150. I was very very active, very very healthy, and extremely happy. At that weight too, I am sure I will have the excess skin... and will have to take the weight of that into consideration. But, at this point in my life, I don't care. I just want to be able to do things I can no longer do and I want to be healthy again. :thumbup:

I started at 365 and come Hell or high Water, I am going to reach my 170 pound goal.

The surgeon gave me the same spiel about losing 50-60% of the extra weight but that is the average. That includes the people that think the band is a magic wand and only lose a couple of pounds or even gain weight because they don't follow the rules or give up.

I can't speak from experience yet, I won't be banded until February but check back with me at this time next year. :thumbup:

The averages are based on a high percentage who don't do the work. They lose a certain amount because the restriction causes it. Then when they figure out that they can snack too much, or choose Ice Cream too often, or many other things, they can't lose any more. If you set your mind to do the work every single day not matter what, you will see your goal. Best of luck!! I still have a long way to go also but I am getting there.

I started at 350 and am about 30 pounds from my goal now. My doctor told me that I would probably only get to about 240 and I told him he was wrong. :thumbup:

The statistics, like someone else said, factor in the people who work with their band, exercise and eat right, as well as the people who never get fills, don't exercise, and eat easy foods in too-large quantities. It's totally possible to lose all your excess weight - you just have to work at it.

Good Luck! :ohmy:

I planned on working at it every day! I am not going to go through all of this just to sit around and wait for it to happen. I plan on changing ME. I got me to where I am, and if I don't change ME than it isn't going to work.

I am hopeful now that I may actually see 175 again!!! Or less!!! Thanks for the support and advice... this site is awesome!

If you follow the rules and exercise almost every day, you will do much better than any of the averages would tell you. My surgeon's office does a TON of bands and they say w/the band, the people who lose all their excess weight are the ones who really follow the rules AND really get into exercise.

The interesting thing is that in a recent Time magazine, there was a study done on the effects of exercise on weight loss. The results of the study were surprising. Even though they decided that there were many benefits of exercise, weight loss was not one of them. However it is my opinion, that Exercise does a lot for my mental health which believe it or not is the main component of obesity. It maintains bone health and muscle health also. I was shockingly surprised by the study which involved 2500 people. What they decided is that people who exercised, made up for it with more calories. Gets back to the same old balancing act. Still it was an interesting article.

Edited by JoJo1

My surgeon stated the reason why I'm still tracking 10 lbs a month is because I'm exercising...?

And not making up for it in extra calories. Many of the people in the study were people who wanted to lose only a few pounds and many were people who had a lot to lose.

If anything in the study is true, then the mental part has to play a big role. Don't you get a very good feeling from exercising? I do, and I think it is the key to why I keep doing it. I also understand the stuff about compensating with more calories. The people in the study were averaged so I am sure some of them got it too. Personally,I don't take much stock in studies because they don't take everything into account, such as family background etc. I just thought it was an interesting article to be printed in Time magazine.

Oh yeah! I remember that article! I read it at my dentist's office! I recall thinking about whether I eat more on days I work out and typically I don't, but I do drink more Water. I definitely feel a sense of accomplishment when I'm done, and the reflection on the scale ain't so bad either!