Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch enlarged???

I just read a post where the poster said the doctor told him that his pouch was a little enlarged. How does that happen and what exactly is it?

When you get banded, a portion of the stomach is left at the top portion, this is called the pouch, there is a stoma where the band is that connects the top portion of the stomach to the lower portion. The pouch itself is relatively small to start off with, but because of the nature of the stomach muscle, if you overfill it either by eating too much or by drinking carbonated beverages, it will eventually cause the pouch to stretch. This is a fairly common phenomenon and after a period of time, I think there is some enlargement that occurs, but not usually enough to be significant. I was told my pouch was slighly enlarged, but after 4 years I am not surprised.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, my doctor said it's pretty much a normal progression after a period of time. The danger is if it were to become too enlarged allowing me to consume too much food and thereby possibly causing the band to slip or slide down from it's original position. That would require surgical intervention to resolve the problem.

Hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you'd like to know anything else.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy--so you don't think a newly banded person needs to worry about this? I was banded 4 months ago, and have not hit my sweet spot, although I am now getting some restriciton in the morning, but by dinner time--none. I wory about eating too much

Hey Cindy--I just noticed that you are form Coral Gables , FL---I will be there in 2 weeks the night before we cruise. How is the Holiday Inn on 2051 Legune Road--Downtown?I hope you did not get too much from Wilma--she needs to just go away!!

Victoria, I really wouldn't worry at four months about stretching out your pouch unless you are really going wild with overeating and drinking lots of carbonated beverages. Just know these are the biggest culprits for pouch enlargement and try to avoid them as much as possible.

I do not actually live in Coral Gables, that's were my doctor's office was when I had the surgery. I do live in Miami, actually the Doral area, which is West of Miami International Airport. The Holiday Inn in the Gables is like everything in the Gables, very nice and totally safe. Coral Gables is an old neighborhood and has always been a very exclusiive area, you have to have big money to live there. It's one of the prettiest areas in Miami.

Have fun on your cruise but enjoy the dancing and other activities, not the food. You'll have a great trip and maybe drop a pound or two, talk about a bonus.

We're still waiting on Wilma to hit, she's due in here later tonight, early tomorrow morning. I have lived here all of my life, but this one scares me to death. I'm getting too old for these things. Please say a prayer for all of us here, I'm afraid we're going to need it.

Take care, let me know if you have any other questions. I don't know how much longer I will be online but if I don't answer, please just don't think I'm being mean or ignoring you, it'll be because we lost electricty. I will respond once we get back to normal - whatever that is!!

Cindy

I was banded 3 months ago and that post scares me too. If I didn't over eat, I wouldn't need a freaking band. If it is going to enlarge w/ over eating, then I'm toast and might as well have the thing removed. I have had no fill yet and here it is 3 months out. I am able to eat whatever but I usually have no restriction what so ever.

I wonder what the chances are that I have already stretched my pouch? I can usually feel the food pass right on down through the band, so I'm hopeful that the pouch has not stretched. I have never broken the soda rule, but the over eating I have...I have always disobeyed that rule....I was hoping that the band would force me.

I guess I shouldn't judge anything before I get the correct fills....like I said, I still havent even had the first fill.

Mercedes--honey-you need a fill!! Is there a reason why it has been 3 months without a fill? Usually they are done at 6 weeks, especially when there is no restriction. It is funny that people have posted they feel the food go down through the band--I have never felt that--and have actually paid attention trying to feel it!! LOL

Chichiirl--thanks for your wisdom!! I am thinking of you as I type--I just heard on our morning news, (here in Kansas) that MIami is getting drowned and alot of the electrical lines are out. WILL THIS EVER END?? I would love to live in Florida, and I had my husband convinced of it sometime in the next 10 years, then last year happened and now this year he is getting nervous about getting on the ship, let alone live there. (I'll get him to move--wait and see!!) I tried to explain to him the cruiseline will not sail into any trouble, PLUS we don't leave until Nov 12th so we have a bit of time! Thanks for your reply and best wishes to you on your band journey and I hope you don't get too much of Wilma. Post when your lights come back on

Victoria: Is there a reason why it has been 3 months without a fill?

Yes. I'm so busy and I just can't get there. I either have to drive 3 hrs or fly 6+ hrs and stay in a hotel. I have 4 children and a very busy husband. It's about impossible to get around his schedule...I want him to come with me.

If I could just go at the drop of a hat w/out an appointment, it would have been done.

But I have to find the "perfect time" so far in advance that something always comes up.

I have an appointment on the 4th but I'm going to have to cancel it. It's very frustrating! Oh well, I'll just get it the next weekend.

Thanks for letting me whine.

Mercedes---I see--I did not know you had to travel so far to get a fill. I see you were banded in Mexico. My doctor here in Kansas, does fills for pts banded in Mexico, is there someone closer to where you live? I just feel for you--I know how if feels not to have a fill! I am just finally getting some restriction and believe me--couldn't have happened at a better time!!

I am having the same issue. I feel like my pouch is enlarged. I sometimes don't eat the right things. not often tho. A few days a month I may have a slice of pizza. Never a burger or anything. I don't feel hungry, but I know I should eat so I will eat a chicken salad or some grapes and bananas or something. BC if it was up to my tummy, I would not eat all day so, idk what the issue is. Plus pain at the port site. Im about mths out from my surgery. Moved from SC to CA finding it hard to get a doc that excepts tricare out here

I've recently had the same diagnosis - slight - and I stress slight - pouch dilation and my doctor's plan is to do precisely nothing at this point in time, unless it gets worse. I got the strong impression for him that at 7 years out, its what you'd expect to see. When you have a stomach the size of an egg, you ARE going to overeat for it at times, no matter how good you are. Its impossible not to and the thing is with a band, over time, those small discomforts of eating which signal that you're satisfied become so normal to you that its very easy to no longer notice them and you keep eating what's on your plate - small as that serve may be. My doctor feels that one contribution to my situation was unfilling my band totally for a surgery - I did that on the advice of my colorectal surgeon and my lapband surgeon says I shoudlnt have done so, that there's no need unless you know you're going to react badly to an anaesthetic. I'm on the fence, personally, hitting a BMI of 18 at one point during my illness I think I"m glad my band was unfilled enough for me to regain some weight! But it's shifted my band a little and caused this situation to occur. Moral of the story - dont frig around with your band people. Dont have massive fills that then need to be taken out because you're vomiting and have reflux, dont unfill for a holiday so you can stuff your face thinking you'll just go tight when you get home and lose the weight, dont vomit, dont overeat. Have respect for it.

That said, a slight dilation isnt really a problem. It does make being really tight even more dangerous though. For me, its a very good reminder to treat my band with respect, and to really listen to my body.

Yea my doc said my pouch was a little stretched but still gave me a fill ?? He doesnt seem concerned and since the liquid we watched went thru my band fast clearly I needed a fill..... idk

Something is going on with my band, too. I was banded four years ago yesterday. I had not had an adjustment for over two years (my new insurance excludes all this) and had gained back 60-70 pounds. I finally went in for a fill and noticed I was hungry afterward, which never happens. I told my doc and he immediately said enlarged pouch, idk what I am going to do since I no longer have insurance. I am being scoped in the morning. Doc says he may be able to put the band back in place but I have my doubts. Sure do miss my size 36 jeans :-(