Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One day I can eat and the next I can't :(

Also there were a few of us in this situation (actually not as bad as you) a few weeks ago - all of us debating an unfill. We all ended up getting it. I actually woke up choking in my sleep 4 times in two weeks. I was always able to keep Liquid Protein down and Water so I hung in there for two weeks but finally gave up as it was not really comfortable and choking at night is dangerous can lead to pneumonia. I am much happier now being unfilled and I actually think I may be at a good point. Out of curiousity what was your fill level before and after? how much did they put in?

I am at 8.5cc in a 14cc band, I just want to get Water down and I will be ok. after the water will go. faster than a sip here or there. Then I will be ok I would bet it is just swelling do to being a bad bander after a fill.

I called the Drs. office and went in an had a .5cc taken out. It has been a long week and I had a pretty good feeling I was dehydrating. Feel pretty good now though. I just hate to loose that .5cc I just had that put in a week ago. Dr, felt I was pretty inflamed he said would usually take a whole cc out. I worked him to just take the .5 thank goodness. Well back to work and stuff.

I will give the liquid Motrin a try, with the holdays I know my Dr. is on vacation, he however has a great partner so if needed I can see him. The good thing here is if I got problems they will see me anytime. Good relationship or just a great office. Anyway I hope this works as I hate it when I have to take some out. Scotty D

Try doing another day or two of liquids to see it the swelling goes down. You may be fine and not need an unfill. If after the liquid days you are still having trouble then go in for the unfill.

Scotty D you probably needed to do that - .2 would have been nice. When this happened to me they gave me a .7 fill and then I too had to negotiate a .3 unfill (from a .4).... funny how we hold on to them. I hung in for 2 weeks but I was getting liqs down. Do you go back soon again for a refill? I'm just months post op so they want us in there every month. So I'm back in Jan 5 and I seriously doubt she will do much maybe put back the .3 they took out. I think now it goes in really small increments (I am guessing??). i don't think i even WANT .5.

I can go back and get a fill when I am ready for one. all it takes is money. As my insurance at this point will not cover fills just office visits it is funny they pay for a unfill but not the fill crazy.

did they ever cover fills and stopped just curious. I think mine covers them I had previously been under the 3 month post op freebies.

btw - don't you have to do liquids after an adjustment? I haven't read much about people eating right after fills as there is swelling but I do know many drs differ.

Mine doesn't have food restrictions after a fill. If I can eat it, then I can have it. After my first 2 fills, I had no problems. I just had another 2 cc (for a total of 8) yesterday and I've only been able to take in liquids, although I had some homemade beef vegie Soup for lunch and, as long as I chewed thoroughly and took small bites, I was ok.

Mine doesn't have food restrictions after a fill. If I can eat it, then I can have it. After my first 2 fills, I had no problems. I just had another 2 cc (for a total of 8) yesterday and I've only been able to take in liquids, although I had some homemade beef vegie Soup for lunch and, as long as I chewed thoroughly and took small bites, I was ok.

My unproven theory to that was always that the docs who gave no restrictions (ie no liquids) didn't do much in fills so there was no danger of swelling too much etc, but you just negated that because a 2cc fill is pretty big! After my last experience w/ .7 I am afraid to get too much more than .3 increments at this point :)

I had my band done at the end of May & was doing fine, then one day as I tried to eat, it felt like I was having a heart attack. The pain was excruciating and felt like something was stuck in my throat. I had a gastroscopy done & discovered a hiatus hernia. Of course by then things had settled down. Now is Dec and I have another one of these attacks. I have spent a few nights in the emerg dept at the hospital and had another gastroscopy. Dr. still can't see what the problem is. I am still having so much problems with even drinking. My band has been emptied now and don't know if the band is too tight or what?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My unproven theory to that was always that the docs who gave no restrictions (ie no liquids) didn't do much in fills so there was no danger of swelling too much etc, but you just negated that because a 2cc fill is pretty big! After my last experience w/ .7 I am afraid to get too much more than .3 increments at this point :)

Or it could be that I'm just weird and don't swell after a fill. :)

Seriously, I've always been blessed with a very fast recuperation time after surgeries and I can count on one hand the number of times in my 53 years that I actually ever got sick with something like a flu so I may be the odd exception.

I now can not even keep the slim down, this is after a unfill of .5 cc now we are in a blizzard on christmas and the Dr.are fifty miles away on roads that have been closed for 36 hours. I need more out of the band and no where to go. I have been in vomit mode for 12 hours or more.

Do you think Pepto would help calm down the band, never tried this but I will give anything a try. Scotty d

did they ever cover fills and stopped just curious. I think mine covers them I had previously been under the 3 month post op freebies.

they did for three months that is it. the rest was up to me.

I'm sitting here with my 'vomit/slime' bowl. I had two bites of something and even though I chewed each bite 20-30 times it still got stuck. I had the same food 2 days ago without any trouble. I don't actually feel 'restriction' in the way it was explained to me prior to surgery, I can either eat or not eat at all. It seems to be one or the other.