Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Philippines Local Lap-Band Support

PHILIPPINES

LOCAL LAP-BAND SUPPORT

(yay!)

Hey there!

I am Oscar Lopez and I have been reading posts in different forums here in lapbandtalk.com. I was looking for a local support forum for Filipinos who have been banded and those who intend to undergo the surgery, but to my dismay, I failed to see any. It's disappointing considering that we have the best health care professionals around and we have the best hospitals in Asia.

Well, here it is! Share your thoughts and tell us your story. For a starter, maybe you can post the following details (since these are the FAQs):

For Banded:

1. When did you undergo surgery?

2. Who was your doctor and where was it performed?

3. How much did it cost you and were you covered by insurance or you paid for it with your own money? If insurance, what was your insurance company and what process have you undergone to be able to claim the benefit.

4. Give your medical background before and after surgery.

5. Post any comments, suggestions or anything that you think is relevant to consider to help our fellow Filipinos.

For People Wanting to Get Banded:

1. What is your medical profile now?

2. Have you consulted with a bariatric surgeon to check if you're a candidate for lap-band?

3. What is your main motivation for considering lap-band?

4. Do you have any apprehensions about lap-band? Post your concerns or queries here.

I hope this forum can be a catalyst for open discussion among Pinoys! If you know of anyone who has undergone the operation, you might want them to share here. Invite, invite, invite! Tulungan na lang to! Ingat!

** If there are any Filipino surgeons around, you might want to ellucidate us on the ins and outs of lap-band surgery, the cost involved and the preparations for the surgery.

:) :wink: :rolleyes: :wink: :w00t: :w00t: :lol::lol:

PHILIPPINES

LOCAL LAP-BAND SUPPORT

(yay!)

Hey there!

I am Oscar Lopez and I have been reading posts in different forums here in lapbandtalk.com. I was looking for a local support forum for Filipinos who have been banded and those who intend to undergo the surgery, but to my dismay, I failed to see any. It's disappointing considering that we have the best health care professionals around and we have the best hospitals in Asia.

Well, here it is! Share your thoughts and tell us your story. For a starter, maybe you can post the following details (since these are the FAQs):

For Banded:

3. How much did it cost you and were you covered by insurance or you paid for it with your own money? If insurance, what was your insurance company and what process have you undergone to be able to claim the benefit.

5. Post any comments, suggestions or anything that you think is relevant to consider to help our fellow Filipinos.

For People Wanting to Get Banded:

1. What is your medical profile now?

2. Have you consulted with a bariatric surgeon to check if you're a candidate for lap-band?

3. What is your main motivation for considering lap-band?

4. Do you have any apprehensions about lap-band? Post your concerns or queries here.

I hope this forum can be a catalyst for open discussion among Pinoys! If you know of anyone who has undergone the operation, you might want them to share here. Invite, invite, invite! Tulungan na lang to! Ingat!

** If there are any Filipino surgeons around, you might want to ellucidate us on the ins and outs of lap-band surgery, the cost involved and the preparations for the surgery.

:) :wink: :rolleyes: :wink: :w00t: :w00t: :lol::lol:

wow oscar this was a great idea...i've always wondered about what i will do about eating mom's cooking once i get the band....im mixed with black and flip...mom is from manila but has been here in the states since 76...but anyways i would really like to know which or what type of our foods can we still consume while banded, b/c I'm already facing the fact that i can no longer eat white rice anymore....so to all my fellow filipinos fill me in on this matter!!! Salamat!!!

Hello! Glad to have found this Philippines Lap Band Support Site.

I'm a single/male 31yo Filipino based in Manila. I am 470lbs, and my current BMI is 57. All this I found out when I visited a local Lap-Band® Information Center in Makati yesterday. I was informed of all the options I have, including bypass. But I decided to go with the lap-band®. My tentative sked is this coming January, so I'm really excited.

I really want to do this not because I was forced by my friends/family, but because I want to have a great life, and because i want to live longer to see my children and grandchildren grow up. Life is just too wonderful to be cut short.

I have a question though regarding post-surgery. I travel a lot for my work. I usually go to different countries, and stay between 3 days to a month. My surgery is scheduled mid-January, and I have scheduled trips starting mid-February:

Mid-February: CHINA - 3 days

End of March: USA - 1 month

So basically I have 1 month to recover til my first trip. Do you think this is enough time, or should I allot more time to recover?

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think a month is enough to be able to recover from the surgery. However, I would advise for you to talk to your doctor to get a clearance. You'd have a lot of adjusting to do on your first month. Update us on your journey! Congratulations and goodluck with the surgery!:)

Hi all!

Im wondering why there are lots of people who view this thread but don't actually post messages. I hope we can help each other more by answering the questions of our kabayan! Tulong tulong na, and dont hesitate to post your questions here.

I think most of us want to know how much it really costs (as detailed as possible so we wont have to ask and ask... and ask some more). How much is the operation, the professional fees, post operation stuff? (To be honest, I'd appreciate if anyone can type his or her receipt. LOL.) Do you know of any insurance companies who offer refund for the cost of surgery apart from PhilHealth?

Also, I would want to solicit your recommendation for good surgeons (or hospitals) around.

What other pertinent information can you share with everyone regarding your experience?

I hope those who know the answers to the questions can post. This will help us a lot.

Edited by fahrenheit

Hey, I'm almost 4 years post-op and I've been fairly successful with the lapband. I friend referred me to this site and told me that I might be of help to those thinking of having the operation.

For Banded:

April 2006

Via St. Lukes Weight Management Center

I weighed 338lbs. before surgery, when I was about 19-20 years old. I'm now down to 153lbs and maintaining my weight so far. Haha!

Just send me a message

Hey DustinB! Hello everyone!

I was supposed to have the operation last May 2009 but, I decided to postpone the surgery because I wanted to give diet and exercise a final shot. But, I'm really curious, can anyone share their experiences post-op? Thanks! :confused: That's the part I'm really worried about.

Hey DustinB! Hello everyone!

I was supposed to have the operation last May 2009 but, I decided to postpone the surgery because I wanted to give diet and exercise a final shot. But, I'm really curious, can anyone share their experiences post-op? Thanks! :confused: That's the part I'm really worried about.

To tell you honestly, post-op might be difficult since your tummy will be in pain. Every time you cough, it's as if your wounds are also speaking. Haha

My mom also was emotional as I wasn't allowed to eat for I think just the first day after the OP and dabbing a wet tissue to moisten my lips was the only thing they did. I didn't mind it until my relatives brought a box of pizza for their dinner in my room! Come ooonnnn. Haha

It really helps to think positive and try your best to move around the room, try stand up and ignore the pain. You'll get better quickly and heal faster.

First week after the operation, you need to get used to liquid diet. The perks are, you get to drink (well in my case) anything non-carbonated. The first week is also crucial -- besides your body adjusting to the band, it's an opportunity to jump start your weight loss. It's nice your weight go down a bit after that week because of the diet.

After that, it'll be transitional from liquid to full solid diets. You just gotta be patient and hang on. :) Just message if you need help with the entire thing. We can just correspond through this forums to help encourage others too.

BTW, which hospital and doctor are you supposed to have your lapband with? :)

Wow! Thanks DustinB! :confused: Actually, it's the exercise program post-op that I'm worried about. I'm not sure I can exercise every day or even 3 times a week.

My surgeon is Dr. Ray Santos but he works with Dr. Kim-Shi Tan, Dr. Miguel Mendoza, Dr. Salud and Dr. Samonte. He said I can have the surgery at St. Luke's, FEU or Veteran's.

Cool. I had mine at St. Lukes too but the expenses are really high but vis-a-vis with the patient care that they give, I really felt comfortable in St. Lukes.

Haha, I don't know if I should even give this advice but well... for the first year and a half, I was really busy in college so I wasn't able to give much attention to exercise. I had different kinds of diets though to try out which ones would be best in losing weight.

I lost about 80lbs in a year, and the remaining 110lbs in the second year post-op. I just started gym after losing about 130lbs. but I had difficulties with the look of my skin, well aesthetically since they obviously sagged from the non-exercise.

I'm not sure if you can really restore your skin to its natural look, but try it out with exercise. :confused: I'm currently doing gym routines and focusing on my post-obesity issues. So far, so good. :)

Hahaha, that's exactly my problem! School's really hectic and I don't think I can exercise religiously so that's why I'm really hesitant.

But wow! Good job sa weight loss! :confused: Yay to being healthy. Good luck with your exercise program! I hope everything works out well for you!

Well, if it gets really hectic, try choosing better options in everything post-op: this low calorie food choice over the other, studying while on the treadmill than in front of Facebook (haha!) or even as simple as stairs over an elevator.

It will be a very challenging journey but if you really want to get thinner, make your how you want to see yourself in the future your own inspiration. :confused: haha anyway, good luck too. :)

Cool. I had mine at St. Lukes too but the expenses are really high but vis-a-vis with the patient care that they give, I really felt comfortable in St. Lukes.

Haha, I don't know if I should even give this advice but well... for the first year and a half, I was really busy in college so I wasn't able to give much attention to exercise. I had different kinds of diets though to try out which ones would be best in losing weight.

I lost about 80lbs in a year, and the remaining 110lbs in the second year post-op. I just started gym after losing about 130lbs. but I had difficulties with the look of my skin, well aesthetically since they obviously sagged from the non-exercise.

I'm not sure if you can really restore your skin to its natural look, but try it out with exercise. :sifone: I'm currently doing gym routines and focusing on my post-obesity issues. So far, so good. :)

Hello dustinb!

Just a question, how's the condition of your skin now? Does the elasticity go back years after the surgery?

Hey, I had problems with it since I didn't go to the gym during the post-op diet so I had problems with it sagging. I had to go through some plastics just to have it removed.

I do gym sessions every 2 days plus much of the Protein diet -- good to say the stretch marks lessened and those problematic sagging skin areas (which weren't operated on) look much better. :sifone:

Hi everyone! I just got banded almost a month ago at De Los Santos Medical Center. My surgeon is Dr. Ferdinand Samonte.

Check out my blog here in Lapbandtalk - LAP-BAND. I wrote about my pre-op and post-op experiences there.

Hope to hear about your experiences / success stories also.