Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Philippines Local Lap-Band Support

Hello everyone! My name is Donna and i just got banded too... Thank goodness that i easily found a local support group for patients such as myself and that there are forumers like you whom i can ask my questions to...

Allow me to give a little more information about myself as Oscar had initiated... :smile2:

For Banded:

1. When did you undergo surgery?

Just last June 17... a fresh five days...

2. Who was your doctor and where was it performed?

Dr. Rey Melchor Santos and he did it for me in Makati Medical Center which is my choice since it's always been my hospital and it's a stones throw away from my house...

Chubisco, Doc Rey is good...highly recommended... he also worked with Dr.Samonte and Dr. Mendoza on my case but only during surgery... Pre-op, he really made sure to walk me through the process and gave me several options... You are in good hands should you decide to go through with it...

3. How much did it cost you and were you covered by insurance or you paid for it with your own money? If insurance, what was your insurance company and what process have you undergone to be able to claim the benefit.

Roughly around 580K all in... It was a combined payment as my insurance covered 380K as per my plan and i paid for the excess...

The insurance was under BPI-PHILAM for our company so it was subjected to those terms... The procedure was considered an exception in the beginning when i read the terms and conditions of the policy but all I had to do is to submit a clinical summary from the surgeon to appeal my case to prove that it is a treatment and not preventive...

They just asked some questions from our health department and after five days, it was already approved... It was no fuss and pretty effortless as they did not ask for a lot of documentation...

4. Give your medical background before and after surgery.

Chronic asthma since birth, hypertension for 2 years but no maintenance, diagnosed with diabetes just this year with no maintenance, Acid reflux, sleep apnea, joint and back pains...

5. Post any comments, suggestions or anything that you think is relevant to consider to help our fellow Filipinos.

As i said in my lapband story, if you are feeling that your health is being put on the line because of your weight do it... but it is not for everyone... You have to have the right mindset before you have it as it is not a FIX all solution to your weight problems or an aesthetic procedure done ala Viki Belo that would make you instantly moviestar material... One must accept one's self freely and determine that a change is needed before i suggest that you go through it... I went through the same journey and i'm glad i did because as early as now i can tell that life as I knew it would never be the same... It is still a struggle but my relationship with food is slowly changing... If before, i eat to fill in the void in my heart when i'm down in the dumps or to fill my time when bored or to reward myself for a job well done, now i am eating to nourish myself... If you're not at that stage yet and would want to consider it, then i suggest wait a while and see your therapist before taking the plunge...

Some questions from me to fellow lapband patients...

I am now on my fifth day of the clear liquid diet and i suck on sugar free ice pops and candies sometimes and drink clear broths, glucerna and low fat soy milk and doing pretty good with just that diet... however, sometimes the menu gets boring... any other suggestions as to how else we can spice these food options up but without cheating? What did you eat mostly on your first four weeks?

Secondly, this might sound gross but i have not done number two since my surgery but do not feel any heaviness in my stomach as i pass gas quite normally... is it also normal to go this long without having to do it? My Surgeon said its pretty normal as i'm not eating anything as long as i pass gas but would want to get your opinions too... Thanks to everyone and i think id enjoy being in this forum...

@Ms. Donna: The bowel movement problem is normal as you are just on a liquid diet some days post-op. I was a cheater on my first week and blended hotdog as I felt awful just taking Soup or juice. How about trying some of the gerber stuff? Haha, it's weird but I've tried the different flavors of gerber (the sweet ones) and they're actually good. Haha

Good luck with the band. Always have a goal weight to keep you focused on losing the excess. :smile2:

@Ms. Donna: The bowel movement problem is normal as you are just on a liquid diet some days post-op. I was a cheater on my first week and blended hotdog as I felt awful just taking Soup or juice. How about trying some of the gerber stuff? Haha, it's weird but I've tried the different flavors of gerber (the sweet ones) and they're actually good. Haha

Good luck with the band. Always have a goal weight to keep you focused on losing the excess. :smile2:

Thanks dustinb for the quick reply... Glad that my question is not really that much of a problem... When is the normal period to go to the bathroom then? Really sorry about this topic as a regular bowel movement was one of the things i enjoyed pre op and im going quite crazy thinking something's wrong without me doing it for days...

As for the hotdogs... i wish i had the courage to try that... as of now, i am just so afraid to vomit that i am really following the rules to the letter... Thank goodness it has not happened but the gagging reflex when my stomach contracts sometimes is enough to keep me in check... :(

My problem is not really with the hunger but with the plainness of the liquids available... it seemed repetitive that i'm afraid i might slip sometime during the course of the four weeks...

Gerber sounds like a good option but is that okay for liquid and not supposed to be something you'd take during the mashed phase?

Edited by donnapie

I don't remember when my bowel movement regularized but you just really need to be patient. I don't think you can do laxatives yet as your wounds are still in the early stages of healing so it might be irritating when you need to go to the bathroom.

I suggest you really see how your body responds to things. I've only experienced the choking thing once, after I had dinner at Brazil Brazil some months post-op (Haha, yeah, it's dumb, I know :)). If you feel that your band is getting a bit strained, don't continue what you've just ingested.

Really, you're on liquid diet for four weeks? I was about 338lbs before op but I was only on liquid diet for a week after I got out of the hospital. I then slowly shifted to the mashed food just a week after? Well, i think that depends on your doctor.

Oops, sorry, my bad. If liquid diet, then just experiment with different liquids. My doc told me not to be too concerned with the caloric content of the liquids; I just need to do liquids first to allow some time for my body to adjust to the foreign object attached to my tummy. Try different Soups, different beverages. There are a lot of good-tasting things not only in local Rustans groceries but also at Healthy Options. :smile2:

You'll surely get through. Just give it some time. :(

I don't remember when my bowel movement regularized but you just really need to be patient. I don't think you can do laxatives yet as your wounds are still in the early stages of healing so it might be irritating when you need to go to the bathroom.

Okay.. thanks for the word of advice... as long as its normal, i can rest easy and wait patiently...:(

I suggest you really see how your body responds to things. I've only experienced the choking thing once, after I had dinner at Brazil Brazil some months post-op (Haha, yeah, it's dumb, I know :P). If you feel that your band is getting a bit strained, don't continue what you've just ingested

Did you choke because of the amount of food you ate? Because of the kind of meat you ate or that you didn't chew thoroughly?I've read Kikoman's blog about sliming and it is scary... is it really normal to go through that? The actual thing is not something discussed to me by my doctor aside from him telling me that post op if i didnt chew well or ate too much i could vomit and choke... I didnt know it was that bad... :ohmy:

One thing i notice is i eat very slowly now... my actual consumption for the day for the past week is actually just 1-2 clear bowls of broth, a popsicle for a snack and about a tetrapak of juice or soy milk all day long... sometimes i worry that i'm overdoing it and cutting down on the nutrients but at least the good thing is i'm not getting hungry...

Really, you're on liquid diet for four weeks? I was about 338lbs before op but I was only on liquid diet for a week after I got out of the hospital. I then slowly shifted to the mashed food just a week after? Well, i think that depends on your doctor.

Sometimes i think he wants me to be a poster girl for weight loss since i am pretty much an earnest follower hahaha! :)

However, i think he just wants to see the result for the first month that's why he's keeping me on liquid for a month... I do hope he'd graduate me to the mashed stage sooner though...

Oops, sorry, my bad. If liquid diet, then just experiment with different liquids. My doc told me not to be too concerned with the caloric content of the liquids; I just need to do liquids first to allow some time for my body to adjust to the foreign object attached to my tummy. Try different Soups, different beverages. There are a lot of good-tasting things not only in local Rustans groceries but also at Healthy Options.

Phew! :smile2:

Am i glad to hear that... now i feel as if the succeeding weeks won't be so bleak... i'd look forward to my grocery shopping for sure with this info... :thumbup:

I think I choked that one time because I ate too much in such a quick pace. Well, I just wanted to get my money's worth off the 700 bucks buffet at that place. Haha

Choking is a bit difficult as you feel a bit of pain in the upper tummy, you'll really feel that there's something stuck. I actually wanted to barf it out but I'm really not a fan of doing that so I kept it in. I think it took me 4 hours to feel the meat just slide through. Some people take softdrinks to burp the stuck object from the band but it varies per person.

It's okay to eat slower than the usual. Let your body get used to the new diet you'll be having. But don't be too paranoid that you might nudge the band. Haha, take a bit more liquid food if you want so you won't be that hungry.

Haha, having a lapband is actually something exciting. You'll be looking forward to a healthier life if you really use that tool well. I'm actually on my fourth year, had my op Apr2006 and still maintaining what I've lost via gym and avoiding chocolates and rice. Haha, well that's me.

Just message if you have some questions for your post-op.

Hello DONNAPIE! Congrats on being a Bandster!!

Some questions from me to fellow LAP-BAND®® patients...

I am now on my fifth day of the clear liquid diet and i suck on sugar free ice pops and candies sometimes and drink clear broths, glucerna and low fat soy milk and doing pretty good with just that diet... however, sometimes the menu gets boring... any other suggestions as to how else we can spice these food options up but without cheating? What did you eat mostly on your first four weeks?

Have you tried different types of Jello? I asked my doctor about it, and he said this is allowed during the liquid diet phase. Try those boxed sugar free Jellos and make them in small cups. It's quite filling, considering that it's just liquid that you are eating. Of course be careful not to swallow a big chunk of Jello.< /p>

I've also enjoyed making different Glucerna fruit shakes using a serving of Glucerna and FROZEN Fruits....This will make the shake extra creamy. My favorites were banana, Mango, and you won't believe this, Banana-Peanut Butter! hahaha (not too much on the Peanut Butter though).

As for broths, try mixing in different herbs like Basil or Thyme.

Like DUSTINB, I was on a liquid diet for only a week, and I started eating mushies on the 2nd week. It really depends on the doctor. I started eating "gerber-like" food during the mushies stage.

Secondly, this might sound gross but i have not done number two since my surgery but do not feel any heaviness in my stomach as i pass gas quite normally... is it also normal to go this long without having to do it? My Surgeon said its pretty normal as i'm not eating anything as long as i pass gas but would want to get your opinions too... Thanks to everyone and i think id enjoy being in this forum...

Same thing happened to me. Because I was not eating too much solids, i wasn't able to do #2 for a long time. And it took weeks before I was able to establish a regular #2 schedule.

But there were several things I've noticed after the operation:

1. My Acid Reflux was gone! Well, not completely, but from 6 antacids a day, I went down to 1 a day, or even none at all. It's a wonderful thing, because I've had reflux since I was young. My best friend before was a big bottle of TUMS.

2. I CAN BURP! REALLY LOUD! hahaha, and it really feels good afterwards. =) I was not a "burper" pre-op (if there's such a word as "burper") =)

The next 4 weeks will be exciting. There will be lots of adjusting on your part for sure, but I'm sure you'll do great.

Don't hesitate to ask us anything and everything about the LAP-BAND. Always glad to share our experiences.

I think I choked that one time because I ate too much in such a quick pace. Well, I just wanted to get my money's worth off the 700 bucks buffet at that place. Haha

So chewing should really be something that i have to do... I think it's the biggest adjustment i have to make as i'm perenially busy and always eating at such a fast pace that i'm practically chugging my food... Still, i'm glad that the lapband does not prevent you from doing normal activities like enjoying a buffet at Brazil, Brazil... :thumbup:

Choking is a bit difficult as you feel a bit of pain in the upper tummy, you'll really feel that there's something stuck. I actually wanted to barf it out but I'm really not a fan of doing that so I kept it in. I think it took me 4 hours to feel the meat just slide through. Some people take softdrinks to burp the stuck object from the band but it varies per person.

Wouldn't the softdrink add on then to the gassy feeling... This is really scaring me... Oh My, i hope it never happens to me...

It's okay to eat slower than the usual. Let your body get used to the new diet you'll be having. But don't be too paranoid that you might nudge the band. Haha, take a bit more liquid food if you want so you won't be that hungry.

Dustinb, guess what? I think i'm slowly getting better as today i found myself getting hungrier than usual and quicker... My consumption today is actually 4 bowls of Soup, a popsie for a snack and an ice candy and about one tetra pak of juice... Is this still okay? Can i eat as much and frequently?

I also noticed myself getting weak and a little dizzy this afternoon... I have not had Glucerna since being released from the hospital because i'm so fed up with it and i wondered if it was the lack of nutrients so i drank a can today...

Compared to the past days when i literally was eating nothing at all this is really a big jump and i'm afraid i'm overeating...

My hubby tells me that it's perfectly alright as my caloric intake is almost nil because all i'm actually taking in are liquids but still, i want to be sure... I think this comes from that mindset from all those years of diet when i really, really feel guilty when i eat something i shouldn't...

Haha, having a LAP-BAND® is actually something exciting. You'll be looking forward to a healthier life if you really use that tool well. I'm actually on my fourth year, had my op Apr2006 and still maintaining what I've lost via gym and avoiding chocolates and rice. Haha, well that's me.

So do you forget that you have the tool now or do you still get that gagging feeling sometimes? I'm planning to exercise too once the doctor tells me to start... Any other suggestions on how i can make the lapband my best friend?

Hello DONNAPIE! Congrats on being a Bandster!!

Thanks KIKOman... glad to have stumbled upon this forum as i really am brimming with a lot of questions and i have not been here two days and it's already very helpful...

I really want to try jellos as they are served to me even during the hospital stay but my doctor told me not to yet during that time but that i can already have it when i went home... However, I'm afraid that i might choke on it as it seems pretty solid to me... hahaha!:biggrin:

I guess i have to chew it thoroughly too but thanks for the suggestion... I also love your suggestion about Glucerna... Did you blend it with real fruits or you bought the juice kind from the mart? I really love fresh fruits and i am missing it so and if i can have it any way during this phase i'd be one happy camper...

The banana Peanut Butter sounds yummy but i wonder how i can thin it? I read on some lists that milkshakes are okay as long as they are thinned but again, i am still afraid to try other foods and i'm so in the box right now with runny, liquid things...

Anyways, that's it for now and i'm really, really glad that the lapband had been a positive experience for everyone here... I hope it would be as effective with me...

Guys, ive had dry mouth and throat since yesterday and no matter how much i drink Water it would not go away... is this normal? Will this be a lifetime effect?

I get occasional shoulder, chest, neck and back pains too but it normally goes away after awhile... I'm reading a lot of horror stories online and would just need some reassurance...

Some have had the band for years and they still suffer these symptoms... does that mean i have to live with mine too for life?

Don't get too paranoid. I think those are just effects of the anesthesia that was given to you from the operation. Also, you've had too much bed rest thus the pains. I suggest you move around to get your wounds to heal as quick as possible.

Your body also will experience a lot of changes now that you have your band so don't panic too much if you seem to experience some pains here and there.

I've been about 4 years with the band, and I haven't experienced lingering symptoms. Now that I'm of the proper size, I don't have any of the complications that I've had when I was big -- no more sleep apnea, knee pains, shortness of breath and even asthma attacks.

Guys, ive had dry mouth and throat since yesterday and no matter how much i drink Water it would not go away... is this normal? Will this be a lifetime effect?

I get occasional shoulder, chest, neck and back pains too but it normally goes away after awhile... I'm reading a lot of horror stories online and would just need some reassurance...

Some have had the band for years and they still suffer these symptoms... does that mean i have to live with mine too for life?

The dry mouth/throat is normal, and I've had it for a few days after the surgery. It will definitely go away. Just drink lots of Water.< /p>

I had shoulder and neck pains for a few days after surgery. But since I started to move and walk around early, the pain went away pretty fast. In fact, I went back to work 3 days after surgery.

Like what DUSTINB said, you'll be going through lots of changes and there will be lots of adjusting on your part, but that's all part of your lapband journey. No need to panic. =)

The dry mouth/throat is normal, and I've had it for a few days after the surgery. It will definitely go away. Just drink lots of Water.

I had shoulder and neck pains for a few days after surgery. But since I started to move and walk around early, the pain went away pretty fast. In fact, I went back to work 3 days after surgery.

Like what DUSTINB said, you'll be going through lots of changes and there will be lots of adjusting on your part, but that's all part of your LAP-BAND® journey. No need to panic. =)

Thanks KIKOman... i've always been some sort of hypochondriac even in the past and i think this operation just worsened it a little... I am actually wishing that everything goes well and that i don't go back to the OR for any possible reoperation that's why i'm panicking at the slightest pain/setback...

The dry throat is gone now after two days THANK GOODNESS but i just want to know if it will still come back? How many more months will i feel side effects? It's been a week and a half already for me post op... :smile:

On the good side... I literally feel myself shrinking and i have lost a total of 20 lbs to date... I am also diligently sticking to my liquid diet without fail but i do wish that i can go to the mushies stage already after this week... I do have cravings but i just look forward to the day when i can eat the food i like again but this time in moderation...

As for now i enjoy just looking through recipes and building a database for myself for that stage when i can eat real food again... :thumbup:

Hi guys im glad i saw this forum, im having my operation end of july or first week of august. im scared and excited at the same time.

Congrats lizzie77... It's been a month since my operation and i already lost 33 lbs... I couldn't be better... :tt2:

You will undergo some changes for sure and the first month is kinda hard but it will all be worth it in the end i assure you... :)

Edited by donnapie

hi donnapie thanks for replying. wow!! 32 lbs in one month thats huge already! :tt2:

my doctor said the same thing that i should expect around 30lbs of weight loss the first month.

but now i feel nervous, a bit scared.but i know these feelings are just normal. im enjoying my food now before the big day..but i hate it when people say "so paano yan di ka na makakain"...its like theyre putting an end to everything which i think is not.

what was it like for you the first month?