Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding in public:

Breastfeeding in public: (select all that apply)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Breastfeeding in public: (select all that apply)

• Should never be done, period.
    • Is fine with modest measures such as a nursing cover or blanket drape to cover her body.
    • Is fine when done out of the public eye, like in a restroom, but should not be done in busy areas.
    • Is only ok in places that aren't very crowded/populated.
    • Is only ok if small children aren't around.
    • Is fine any time and anywhere, it's natural and babies need to eat.

There will always be women who need to cut other women down.

They are the ones who call you a bad mother for having a caesarean, or for bottle feeding, or for breastfeeding or for having a home birth, for not disciplining their child the way another would - whatever choice you want to make, there's another woman who (probably through guilt and disappointment at her own perceived failings) will crucify you for it. Nothing is uglier than those types of women.

When it comes to the wonderful role of being a parent,there should be sisterhood, not judgement.

Jachut, you are so right with your comments. There are some women who for whatever reason chose to undercut and put down other women, rather than to be supportive.

I see it all the time in the work force.

If you call my opinion judgement, you're sadly confused. Why would there even be a thread on public bfing if you don't really want to hear or know what others think about it? Go talk to your sisterhood then. BYE!

How odd, no where in Jachut's last comment did I see any statment with your name on it.

Your last sentence adds nothing of value to the topic of discussion.

Jacqui, I mean no disrespect, but there have been many of your posts that I have disagreed with, however, I agree with you regarding breastfeeding.

I live in the States and breastfed all 3 of my children, each longer than the one before. My daughter was breastfed until she 16 months; it would have been longer but a Dr. gave me narcotics even though I told him I was breastfeeding and requested no narcotics.

I too faced with "friendly advice" that I should wean my children after a few months. However, from everything I had read, it was the best for my children and that's what matters, not anyone's opinion or discomfort. I always tried to be discreet, but as those little rascals get older they get wiggly and they like to look around, probably much like we do when we eat.

Exactly - its not about disrespecting anyone's feelings or sensibilities but it IS about putting your child first, therefore making someone else's feelings in the matter (other than your partner or other children) completely irrelevant.

To suggest that perhaps you could be discreet and consider another feelings is to indirectly support the fact that breastfeeding is somehow shameful, dirty or cheap. By acknowledging those feelings you validate them. So whilst pattygreen didnt actually SAY any of those things - which she vigorously denies - she is passively validating them.

A feeding mother simply shouldnt have to worry about some viscious old biddy shooting daggers at her from across the mall. Her child is what is important. And other women ought to support that, not suggest that it somehow be hidden to make others comfortable.

Thankfully most people DO have the maturity to accept that feeding a baby is not behaving in a sexually suggestive manner and the majority of people who do have issues with feeling comfortable around it come from another era when it was unfortunately kept under wraps.

As a Canadian, I have found the debate that occurred here characteristic of Pattygreen's style. Pattygreen is obviously not well travelled; she is unaware of other countries, other customs. And she is very judgemental, I find.

i breastfed all 3 of my kids, and always found a modest way to do it in public. but how can you modestly breast feed a child thats 3 1/2?

With great difficulty! Its almost impossible, thankfully at 3 and a half breastfeeding would not be an eight times per day event!

If you call my opinion judgement, you're sadly confused. Why would there even be a thread on public bfing if you don't really want to hear or know what others think about it? Go talk to your sisterhood then. BYE!

Patty are you hiding pills in your bible? I could not even figure out if she was talking to you or not. Good lord.....

I only breast feed in my bedroom when my wife and I are alone.

From a political standpoint I believe it should be able to be done in public with modesty. I think mothers should take into consideration making people around them uncomfortable.

From a personal view, I am really really grossed out by it. I don't plan to do it when I have children, and I get sick to my stomach around people who are doing it. I know it's great for the baby and all, just trying to keep it real and be honest!

I love breastfeeding! I know that's a weird thing to say but it is so wonderful!! Breastfed babies have less incidence of respiratory infection, ear infections, gut problems (ie. Celiac disease, NEC, Constipation, Crohns, IBS), Diabetes, they score higher on IQ tests, have stronger eyesight, less allergies. Not to mention, it's so great for mom too. It burns over 500 calories a day, less preparation for feedings, less incidence of breast cancer, and it just creates this awesome bond.

I don't care if anyone is offended by breastfeeding. It's one of the most precious and longest lasting gifts you can give your child. People need to get over themselves :rolleyes2:

Breastfeeding is natural, and I have seen breasts exposed in public, and no breastfeeding. Some fashions today are made to show it all anyway, so why should I jump down a mother's throat for doing what she needs to do. I would say use wisdom when you breastfeed, but don't go all out of the way if you baby is hungry.

Who would want to eat in the restroom, so why should a baby?

I am not against breast feeding in public, but my thing is please cover up. I know it's natural, but honestly, I do not want to see another woman's boobs. I'm not trying to be mean...but it's just my opinion. And I asked my husband (who is 23...and shouldn't care about seeing boobs right?) Well, it even makes him uncomfortable for a woman to take her boob out and not cover up when breast feeding. I don't care where or when a woman does it. They can do it sitting at the dinner table for all I care, I just wish they would cover up. And I have heard from many dads who wished their wives would cover up rather than expose their boob to the world. But to each her own..