Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding in public:

Breastfeeding in public: (select all that apply)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Breastfeeding in public: (select all that apply)

• Should never be done, period.
    • Is fine with modest measures such as a nursing cover or blanket drape to cover her body.
    • Is fine when done out of the public eye, like in a restroom, but should not be done in busy areas.
    • Is only ok in places that aren't very crowded/populated.
    • Is only ok if small children aren't around.
    • Is fine any time and anywhere, it's natural and babies need to eat.

Just curious to see what the popular opinion is. If your opinion is "other" please explain, if you don't mind the break in anonymity. It's virtually impossible to cover every option with a poll.

Hi Wheetsin,

Great poll!

I think breastfeeding in public is perfectly fine. A draped shawl or cotton blanket for modesty is nice, otherwise it seems a bit showy -- "look at me! I'm breastfeeding! I dare you to challenge me about it!"

Plus I wouldn't want my boob open for anyone to see! I don't think I would feel comfortable about showing myself without a blanket.

Interesting to see what sort of results you'll get!

Annie.

I breastfed three kids in public and anywhere they were hungry. None of them would ever tolerate any covering. Have you ever SEEN a woman breastfeed? It is a baby up against the edge of a mom's shirt. No boob showing. The side of my stomach showed, that was it.

If boobs can be consistenly used to sell everything under the sun then why aren't people getting all up in arms about THAT instead of nursing?!?!?! I mean, lactation is what they are actually for, not the selling of automotive parts, beer, etc.

And another thing about the coverings: they seem to broadcast, "HEY, I'M NURSING OVER HERE,......DON'T LOOOK!!!" to me it makes it MORE obvious, not less. But, then again, maybe I just breastfeed differently. Like I said,"baby cheek up against my shirt, not taking my top off". maybe others do it by disrobing? :)

I can't believe, in this day and age, we have not learned to overcome this. Babies are in the hospital in China from tainted formula, other babies "needed formula" when Katrina happened.

Hey, maybe if we all encouraged breastfeeding more these wouldn't be such health issues!! Maybe if we encouraged nursing, you know, using boobs for baby-nourishment instead of "man-catchers" we wouldn't be having these problems.

(I had problems nursing all three so I get that it isn't easy for everyone, but if we could get past the whole ,"gee, should women nurse in public?" question it would help! Public Breastfeeding IS LEGAL!!)

I voted "use a modest covering". It doesn't bother me in the least (work in a medical setting and have seen it all. NBD) to see breastfeeding. When I voted "covering" I wasn't so much thinking a physical cover so much as a little discretion, like cyndi was saying.

Anywhoo, I think it's a little sad that some people get up in arms about stuff like breastfeeding, but think that the graphic violence and torture that is vogue in movies and TV is suitable for children. Weird commentary on our culture....

I have two daughters; one of them developed a facial palsy shortly after birth so I had to pump for about 8 months and I couldn't nurse her :). But the 2nd I nursed everywhere -- restaurants, planes, trains, busses, and boats. We went to Europe when she was 4 months old; I nursed her on the horse carriage ride up to Neuschwanstein, at Oktoberfest, at the Vatican, on a gondola -- you name it. I was always discreet and used a cover, but I'm a big fan of what's best for the babies.

Fine any time any place to me. I breastfed three kids and in the end (at home) I could walk around and cook whilst I was doing it.

If I was in public my first plan would be to go to a quiet area like a mother's room if available - whether or not I think it is fine, it might make some old codger uncomfortable, but also, try feeding a 9 month old baby in public, they are SO into what's going on around you and they tend to turn their heads and crane their necks (without letting go of your boob mind you) and you'll often find they feed WAY better in a quiet place.

If I had a blanket or shawl I would use it but after six years of breastfeeding, i'd lost any sense of privacy about my boobs whatsoever, if someone wanted to look good luck to them.

That said, there was a huge furore here about ten years ago now, about a woman who was asked to leave Lynchs, a very upmarket restaurant, for breastfeeding. To be honest, I cant see why you'd take a baby there in the first place, its SO expensive and a real experience to be savoured, definitely one to get a sitter for or just not go if you're not comfortable with that. Nor would I take a baby into a board room or into parliament like one woman did here, and got caned for breastfeeding. I mean, come on, yes, its natural, yes women can do any job men can do and sometimes feeding babies coincides with passing law, but come on! Do you REALLY need to feed your baby in parliament? What do you THINK is going to happen?

Edited by Jachut

I am not offended by women breast feeding, and I think it is somewhat childish for adults to be offended.

But that said, I'm a fan of modesty - cover up if you can, go to a less-crowded area if possible. While I am not offended, it doesn't hurt the child in any way for the mother to try to be less-conspicuous.

I say this with the clear memories of being a pastor, and watching a mother "whip it out" on the front row of my church while I was preaching one week. In my mind, she was not being considerate to me. It would have been no problem for her to sit on the back row, take the baby out, or at least try to cover up a bit.

So, yes, while I always would encourage being to those around you, I don't think you need to go hide or make your baby starve.

Oh, and just to add re: breastfeeding in the bathroom....

If anyone would have EVER suggested that I sit on some disgusting public toilet to nurse my baby I would have suggested that THEY go eat in a dirty, smelly bathroom.

YUCK.

Have you ever SEEN a woman breastfeed?

I can't believe, in this day and age, we have not learned to overcome this.

No need to get so defensive, Cyndiloowho. Just an opinion.

I AM very defensive of breastfeeding because I think it DOES need to be defended. There are women who decide not to breastfeed because they think people are going to be offended, they will be accosted by people who think they should "do it in the bathroom", etc.

Really, it just seems like it 2008 we should be "so over it".

I breastfed any time, anywhere. I wasn't walking around with my breast showing and I didn't put myself on display, but I didn't necessarily cover-up, either.

I breastfed my youngest for 3 1/2 years, and nursed her anywhere, anytime. I never covered up, but I can guarantee nobody ever saw my breast either. The part not covered by my shirt was covered by the baby's head. I have never seen a nursing mother purposely expose herself, even at a La Leche League meeting or in the parenting group I belonged to, where we all nursed openly. I think that people freak out over even the mere thought of a woman breastfeeding in public. For some, it doesn't even matter if there is exposure or not.

I have never seen a nursing mother purposely expose herself

I have. But that's neither here nor there. It can be done discreetly, and should.

I voted for covering up but more as a modesty thing than anything else. I don't have a problem with what some have said about no cover but you really couldn't see anything either. I think we've lost a lot of modesty in this age. It's not anything against breast-feeding in public. I'd have done it if I could have. BUT I have seen women "whip it out" for all to see and that to me is where the problem comes in. I also don't agree with all the "breast" advertising, or the "bare it all" in the movies. I also don't agree with young women wearing see through tops with NO undergarments, in public either. (In the mall, hanging for all to see through her gauzy top. DH and I about fell over! And we're not really prudes!) I don't need to see others' body parts or their intimate moments in public either. I'm pretty old-fashioned in my beliefs, I guess.