Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain after surgery...

I've never had laprascopic surgery before. How painful was it after surgery and for how long?

I have a high tolerance for pain and the first 2 days were very painful. Mainly gas pain. But walking and pain meds did nothing for me even in double doses. They cant give you gas x while in the hosp. They tell you to walk it out. After the second day each day got better, you wont be able to lay on your stomach or sides for a while though due to the incisions. Loosing weight is so worth a couole weeks of pain!

Thanks for the answer. I've had people tell me it's "uncomfortable" but I figured it was more than that. I had my gall bladder out nearly 35 years ago and am cut all the way down my stomach. Can't be any worse than that I wouldn't think. And you are right - it will be worth it!

I think for me I had so many telling me how painful it was going to be that I was expecting the worst!! It really wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. Today I am on week post op 17 lbs down very little pain and noticing other body pain diminishing!!!

After my gallbladder operation which is also laparoscopic I slept in a lazy-boy for a few days. I could not get comfortable in bed. I'm really happy I still have that really ugly chair!

Right after you wake up will probably suck. Be sure to alert the nearest staff member with a delightful "HEY BITCH! THIS SHIT HURTS!". Bonus points for directing the comment at a male employee. Double bonus if it is your surgeon.

After a few doses of medical grade heroine, feel free to drool on yourself while repeating "Thisshiffrawks" until you fall asleep. Bonus points for letting your balls/breasts hang out of your robe while you sleep.

Eventually you will feel better. I promise!!

9 minutes ago, Navigating the Wilderness said:

Right after you wake up will probably suck. Be sure to alert the nearest staff member with a delightful "HEY BITCH! THIS SHIT HURTS!". Bonus points for directing the comment at a male employee. Double bonus if it is your surgeon.

After a few doses of medical grade heroine, feel free to drool on yourself while repeating "Thisshiffrawks" until you fall asleep. Bonus points for letting your balls/breasts hang out of your robe while you sleep.

Eventually you will feel better. I promise!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Before my VSG, I had two c-sections plus open abdominal surgery. I had an ankle rebuilt and two knee arthroscopies. This is a walk in the park. I had my surgery on a Tuesday. I was home by Wednesday at 2 pm and back in the office (I'm a desk jockey) on Monday. (I work from home 3 days a week and in the office 2). As soon as they would let me out of bed, I was up and walking and walked laps at least once per hour. I had some gas. For me the nausea was the worst. I didn't wind up using any of the pain meds at home. Used the nausea meds once or twice when home. Walked on the treadmill at the gym on Saturday after surgery for 20 minutes.

Best of luck.

5 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

This is a walk in the park.

Wow, do you mind telling me your age? i'm 57 and I'm hoping you are close in age, because YOU ROCK! I hope my recovery goes as well.

I'm 55. I had my surgery six weeks after my 55th birthday. I have two teenage daughters, one a senior in HS and one in 8th grade. I am very aware of how I react to anesthesia and drugs post op so I had some detailed talks with my team about what would and wouldn't work. But the walking is key. I brought my slippers (I hate those sock things in the hospital) and my bathrobe to the hospital with me to do my laps. I had the nurses on the floor cracking up - they swore I was like security guard doing rounds. I don't sleep well when I'm not in my own bed, so even through the night I got up about every 1.5 hours to walk. I had my iPhone with me and played music while I pushed my IV pole around the floor.

Being in the right place in your head is the key to this - I am convinced of it. I'm seven months out and have lost 62.9% of my excess body weight. I have about 39 more pounds to go - I think I want my goal at 150 not 140 - I need to change my stats. The closer I get, the more I think 140 will look too Barbie for someone my age.

But after seeing photos of myself taken before my oldest daughter's junior prom last year, I swore I was not going to be that fat person when she graduated high school. I'm sorry I didn't do this sooner.

Best of luck

3 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

I'm sorry I didn't do this sooner.

Me too, Thank you.

I'm 57 and had zero pain in the hospital. I was sore, but it was not painful. I did not have any gas pains either. I was though, very nauseous for about 3 days. I never took any pain medication once I left the hospital. It took me about a week to feel somewhat normal again. I took 10 days off work and that was enough.

I had gallbladder surgery as well, and for me, my gastric sleeve was very minor in regard to pain. I had the typical gas pain, but walking helped tremendously. What bothered me most was my back because I have chronic back pain. So laying on my back so much hurt my back, but I had very minimal pain in the incision area of my gastric sleeve. It really wasn't bad at all., to me anyway.

I have a lot of back pain, also. That's the main reason I'm having the surgery to help relieve it. I can't walk too far because of the pain and wonder if I should take my walker to the hospital with me so I will be able to get up and walk and be able to rest when I need it. What do you think? I figure I will have a lot of back pain in the hospital in bed, too. The only way I can sleep is to lay on my side in bed. The hospital beds aren't too comfortable even if you feel half way good. It can't be any worse than my gall bladder surgery pain wise.