Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Signs when you're full

Yeah........ I'm not saying I'm DEPENDING on when my body tells me when I'm full. I just see a lot of talk with people saying "their body lets them know they're full when......" I plan on measuring my food out, since this will be new to me and I have to learn as I go.

Do people realize that chronically over eating gets acid in your esophagus and long term will lead to complications? Over eating. which is waiting until your body tells you that you are full, is a long term recipe for issues.
salad is a slider, at least it is for me. I can eat endless amounts of baby spinach. So salad is a bad example. I am also fully healed and over a year and a half out from surgery. I know my limits.
People still learning need to rely on measuring. Actually you should rely on weighing, which is more accurate than measuring.
[mention=298096]janedoe92[/mention] How much we can eat varies a lot on the moisture content of the food. Like if you prepare something fresh you will be able to eat more it than something you have reheated in the microwave, because the microwave removes moisture. The density and the fat content matter too. If you surgery date is accurate, you less than 2 months post op and not fully healed, so everything varies right now. Plus I know people with the DS have a sleeve shape, but I'm not sure what the similarities are after than since long term DS people consume a lot more calories than Sleevers because of their malabsoprtion.

Yeah I've noticed the density changes the amount, but even with things like chicken salad some days I can eat 4 oz some days 2 oz, so reheating doesn't seem like the problem, but I understand I'm not fully healed so I just go day by day doing what is suggested by my team and works for me. I still also measure/weigh (sorry for confusion I use those terms for the same thing but essentially I weigh) not going more than 4 oz but don't always eat that because I listen to my body.
As for my DS my sleeve is actually the same size as others that my surgeon does that just get VSG. I don't have the traditional DS, so I also absorb more than someone with traditional DS.

When you are healing it seems to vary every day. At the one year mark you get a real idea of your true capacity

When you are healing it seems to vary every day. At the one year mark you get a real idea of your true capacity

Thank you for the info! This journey is definitely interest to say the least. Does it take a full year for the stomach to heal or is that a case by case basis?

My doctor said 6 months to heal.

Between 6 and 12 months I gained maybe an additional ounce or 2 capacity but it was at this point that some things that used to trigger Restriction stopped. Like Protein Bars turned to sliders. I used to get restriction and satisfaction from chicken salad, but it has so much moisture that isn't the case anymore.

People who are food addicts, don't know what contentment is when it comes to eating. That is why they need to eat measured portions only.
People who are fresh from surgery without reconnected nerves (the nerves are severed in surgery) will not know contentment.
Long term, capacity and contentment will change.
Measured portions only for long term success. Guessing or going on feeling is a recipe for failure.

What do you suggest for the measurements? Just got my surgery yesterday

@DanceMomOf2

A good set of scales and measuring cups 😊

If you meant how much and when you should go by the guidelines of your team.

Congratulations !!

http://a.co/2IDJDhm

I use a scale only, measuring with spoons and cups can be very inaccurate.

I use a pocket scale when I am not at home.

I find a lot of comfort in being strict with my tracking. When I stall or gain a couple pounds, I know it is not because of what I am eating.

I weigh everything, the cream for my coffee, the mayo I use, everything. I weigh things that have a weight on the package, because those are not entirely accurate. I track it all in my app, and I watch for trends and patterns.

This is weird but when I am literally full and shouldn't eat any more, my nose runs and I feel like sneezing!

I was looking for those signs but it seems mine is burping. Which has been pretty handy to know. I will usually burp throughout my meal but get to a point where the burps feel more "full" i guess. Almost like with another bite the food will come up. I try to stop 1 to 2 bites before that happens

i burp/hiccup

other way i know when i'm full....

hubby yells from other room

"oink oink, piggy wiggy"!!:D

kathy

7 hours ago, proudgrammy said:

i burp/hiccup

other way i know when i'm full....

hubby yells from other room

"oink oink, piggy wiggy"!!:D

kathy

That made me chuckle !!

It seems like the best plan is to use measuring cups for Portion Control, and the scale for calorie counting.