Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and nervous! If you have any kind words to extend, please let me hear them.

Hello! A bit about me, I'm 22, I have been overweight ever since I gained consciousness. (you know how its like you wake up one day and you're 14.) So about as far as I can remember, and according to pictures, even farther back, have i been obese. I'm 5"9. and 290lbs. I have PCOS in the worst way, and my doctor said that the testosterone cells are produced by fat, which I have a large quantity of.

My insurance provider is FEPblue and from what I have read, as well as talked to the insurance company on the phone, it has wonderful coverage. I'm kind of terrified of my insurance coordinator, only because she seems very matter-of-fact and stressed out because she has a very hard job, and this whole matter is extremely sensitive and close to my heart and I find it scary to approach her and ask her things. So she gave me a sheet for a 3 month consecutive and 90 day doctor check in. But I had some out of town matters I had to attend to, so I got three dr visits in 90 days, but not consecutive months. I called my insurance and the lady said consecutive was not required. So I'm afraid that even though my insurance does not require it, my insurance coordinator will try to make me start all over and re-do the whole process because she doesn't want the insurance company to have any room to deny me. Also, my pcp..I like him, but deep down, part of me thinks he might not provide the accurate information to push this surgery along. I looked at the notes he has written online and he has brought up some things from when I was a minor that are troubling me. I don't know if he exactly wants me to have the surgery and I'm afraid he won't say the right things in order for the insurance to approve me. I don't know. I feel stressed out, and I'm losing sleep. and on top of all that, the financial part is stressing me as well because if I have the surgery by the end of this year, the insurance company will cover most of it because the deductible has already been met, but if I have the surgery in January then more out of pocket payment for me. Typing all this out has already made me feel better. But is there anyone who can offer some kind words of advice?

i appreciate you taking the time to read this!

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery over 3 years ago. It was one of the best decisions that I ever made. Dealing with the health insurance companies was the biggest pain-in-the-neck for the entire process. So put your blinders on and charge ever forward.

I have Fepblue and I completely understand the anxiousness! Best thing to do is get most of the items Fepblue wants out of the way. It is not consecutive but 3 months within the last year. Also get your PAP done, Chest XRay and EKG. ASAP. Also if you can schedule an appointment for a sleep study for sleep apnea. This helps move things along faster. Your surgeon will set you up for classes and psch eval. I found knowing what fepblue conditions are and having them done before starting the consult made the process go much faster and smoother. I had 3 month sup diet, ekg, labwork, Chest xray, sleep test, pap and mammogram done before consult. In having all that done my consult was Sept 14th and I have surgery Nov 3rd. From start to surgery 6 weeks. They don't really speak to your doc, they just make sure 3 month appts are complete. Best of luck, I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

oh my gosh, what a huge burden you have just lifted off my shoulders, i could not be happier, thank you so very much for this. I appreciate it so much. I hope I can get everything going smoothly. Its a huge step for me, and im ready to start living a life i deserve, and im so happy you got your surgery date! I hope it all goes very well for you! :')

I am very happy I could help. I was extremely anxious hoping fepblue would approve everything. They are very straight forward with their guidlines. I think that is a great thing too. Keep me posted and if you need anything just reach out. This us a great forum and it definitely helps having people that have the same insurance and have gone through the process

oh gosh yes. i'm so thankful for this forum. fepblue seems to have amazing coverage.

how long did it take for them to approve it once they received their packet?

@@lambypie Hi and welcome to the forum. We've all been exactly where you are now at one point. I am now on my liver shrink diet and my surgery is on Election Day 11/8 !

Please know that your co-ordinator should be the one person that you feel extremely comfortable going to as it's her job to act as your advocate to help you get approved. She wants you to be approved as your surgery is income and job security for them.

Don't worry too much about what your doctor will write, he is just basically letting your surgeon know that he is giving you clearance for surgery health wise. It's up to your surgeon to submit the test results to BC for them to approve you.

You're going to do fine and I wish you the very best. Don't give up!

Oh you're almost there then! I'm so excited for you, and thank you.

My PCP is the one doing my three month supervised diet though, and im nervous he will write something that the insurance company will not like. eeep but youre right. i wont worry thank you so much! and good luck!! Keep me updated!

oh gosh yes. i'm so thankful for this forum. fepblue seems to have amazing coverage.

how long did it take for them to approve it once they received their packet?

About a week

Oh you're almost there then! I'm so excited for you, and thank you.

My PCP is the one doing my three month supervised diet though, and im nervous he will write something that the insurance company will not like. eeep but youre right. i wont worry thank you so much! and good luck!! Keep me updated!

On mine, it was just dates of my visits and what my weight was each visit. That was it. And with BC I wasn't required to lose weight, I was just to be under a doctors supervision. I did loose a little but not a lot. But any weight loss is a bonus.