Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to sleep sitting up

I had same problems...coughing...horrible reflux..sleeping(when I slept) in a recliner...pain...had a small unfil(.25CC) and have been fine ever since! Good luck to you!

deb

I'm finally at a point where I'm ready for the unfill. I've been dealing with this for nearly 10 months. sleeping propped up with 7 pillows and still waking up coughing and spitting a couple times a week. I know eating or drinking after 6pm aggrevates it but its hard to be tight enough that you can't eat until nearly noon then be loose enough and hungry enough in the evening to get the food down only to have it come back up when you try to sleep.

I used my PS in a few weeks as my final straw to push me to schedule the unfil for the 25th. Now I can hardly wait. I'm sick of being up past midnight waiting for my stomach to settle. All I've had since coming home from work today at 4:30pm has been 24 ounces of fluids (half of that a Protein drink) and 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds. The last I ate or drank was 9pm then tried going to bed at 10:45. Should have known better. Now I'm sitting her rambling to you all with this terrible nasty taste in my mouth that I can't even wash out because it will only make things worse. Top it off I can't find anymore cough drops which were the only thing I knew that would help. UHGHHH!!!

I can't believe some of you have put up with this for quite awhile. I got too tight of a fill on Friday and spent the weekend feeling like I was drowning. It's a horrible feeling to wake up from a sound sleep with Water (or whatever) coming up. I went in for an unfill on Monday.

the good news is I lost 6 lbs in 3 days after being stuck on a long plateau. I didn't dare try solids. I stayed on liquids hoping it would loosen up. After 3 nights of no sleep, I ran as fast as I could for that unfill.

I suffered with it for 3 months because of daughters wedding and I found this absolutely beautiful dress I wanted to fit into..I fit into it, but was miserable for 3 months. I had unfill 3 days before the weddign because I did nto want to be that miserable for her lovely wedding..that was in June...Gained 7 lbs...but have relost it just by eatign right. I feel so much better!..I will never get that tight again!..AND..it only took .25 cc out to make me feel better. Here is another point to ponder..why? after 4 1/2 yrs would i even do that?? Dr. says he will not let me do it again..lol I can breathe..I can sleep...I can eat...i can maintain at this point! Don't be so miserable..get the band lossened a bit. Seems like it only takes a lil unfill to give the relief you need. Good luck to you

deb

I have been filled for 2 years, have lost 130lbs to date. The vomiting out of my nose started while I was pregnant last year. I thought it would go away after my son was born. It feels like if there is anything in my stomach at all at night it will come out my nose or down into my lungs. I throw up 3 or 4 times a day at least. The kicker is that my band is all the way out and has been since I was pregnant. My son is now 8 mos old. Everytime I bring it up to the doc he suggests taking it out. He has not done any test to see if it is anything that can be fixed. I dont want it out, I haven't even paid for it yet, plus I'm not really interested in the idea of possibly gaining wt. again. Anybody know of anything that can be done if it is already all the way let out (unfilled)?

I am sorry..cant help you there..I never had any of those problems except for when i was too tight. Are you sure you are all the way opened?? I know youa re miserable...good luck to you! Please let me knwo what you find out!

deb

i saw my lap band doc the other day. he looked at my endoscopy and upper gi. he thinks all I need is a slight unfill and my troubles will go away. i am scheduled for that today. he does not think my band has slipped so much that i need surgery....i am so thankful we figured it out....i was up 6 times last night feeling like a was drowning...waking up coughing with stomach acid in my nose and mouth...it has been a horrible experience.

sureed - tell your doctor that you need an upper gi and endo...these tests can tell him alot...he should not be allowing you to be miserable like this!!

good luck to all...i will let you know if the unfill helps

I just had band revision on monday, as my band had slipped. interestingly though I didnt have reflux. I simple had significant discomfort when I ate food and it progressed to pain even when i drank liquids. I was shocked that I really slipped because I had no reflux at all. So I guess you can have a band slip without reflux. :phanvan

I read something recently that was new to me. If you have any refluz, you aren't supposed to sleep with a lot of pillows, because it actually puts you at an angle that crunches your stomach and forces more reflux. You are supposed to raise the head of your bed by putting something under the bed's legs.

I read something recently that was new to me. If you have any refluz, you aren't supposed to sleep with a lot of pillows, because it actually puts you at an angle that crunches your stomach and forces more reflux. You are supposed to raise the head of your bed by putting something under the bed's legs.

Makes sense, alas, my DH has no interest in sleeping at an angle along with me. So I try to creat a faux ramp with multiple pillows starting around my waist and stacking slowly higher and higher towards my head.

Last 2 nights haven't been as bad, as I've been baby-ing my band with mostly liquids throughout the day and NO foods or drinks after 7pm. It SUCKS because sometimes I'd kill for just a small glass of Water. But I finally decided I needed sleep more than food/drink. Still I'll be glad when I get that unfill next week.

Well, will wonders never cease! I recently started to have mild GERD and was put on meds for it....that didn't help. I cut the things out of my diet that I was supposed to....no difference. GET THIS! I quit artificial sweeteners and the GERD went away! Within a day! I'll miss my popsicles, but I sure feel good!

OK I finally CAVED and had an unfill. Used my upcoming PS next week as the excuse. It worked WONDERS!!!! I found out I had 12.2cc in my 10cc band (I'd never asked before-hadn't wanted to know). They took out 2.5 cc's, a little more than may have been necessary but was worried about the swelling from surgery making it tight again. It has been absolutely WONDERFULL!!! I've not had one case of heartburn, gerd or reflux since the unfill last week. Now as long as I don't gain any weight I'll be even happier.