Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Binge eating

I am pretty sure if you try to eat too much with a teeny tiny tummy it will come right back up. My surgery is 10/31 so I am no expert but most people say they feel full to uncomfortable to downright in pain if they try to eat more than a couple of ounces, at least for several months following the surgery.

If you binge eat you can do real damage and possible death if you do it after surgery. If you think there is still a possibility of you doing that, DO NOT GET SURGERY.

The average person who has surgery has to deal with head hunger to overcome. They need to really drive this fact into their patients head because I know I wasnt prepared for it in the beginning.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Binge eating is an eating disorder and nothing to do with the size of your stomach. You can and probably will do it after VSG if you do not address the eating disorder. I am 10 months out and if wanted to I could binge... Also early on when the stomach is healing binging could cause serious complications. It could even be deadly. Good news is there is effective treatment for this disorder. Many with the disorder are doing quite well with the help of therapy. Your surgeon's office should be able to recommend a therapist that can help. Best of luck to you!

I really hope you are getting psychological assistance with this eating disorder...as I'm sure you know WLS repairs the stomach not the mind and your at risk for developing other eating issues as well. I mean this in all kindness. Im truly concerned with your well-being and wonder if you disclosed this problem in yr psych evaluation? Anyways, I know I deal with some emotional eating issues which is not as intense as binge eating but I see a psychologist and he helps me alot. I get sleeved tomorrow.

I really hope you are getting psychological assistance with this eating disorder...as I'm sure you know WLS repairs the stomach not the mind and your at risk for developing other eating issues as well. I mean this in all kindness. Im truly concerned with your well-being and wonder if you disclosed this problem in yr psych evaluation? Anyways, I know I deal with some emotional eating issues which is not as intense as binge eating but I see a psychologist and he helps me alot. I get sleeved tomorrow.

How are you doing Butterflywarrior? Hope all went well and you are having an easy recovery!

Start seeing a therapist about the BED before getting surgery. I have issues with emotional eating and used to eat too much in one sitting, though I don't think I eat so much as to qualify for a "binge". Working with a therapist has really changed my approach to food, and I knew I needed to get that right surgery or no surgery.

Between working with a therapist and the physical changes in cravings post-op, I've not had any issues. Though keep in mind I'm only a little over 2 months out. I suspect there's still a lot of challenges ahead of me. :)

better today than yesterday...walked again a few times, got to sit Soup, popsicles and propel zero but that made. E feel nauseous. Gas pain rots though...worse than the incisions and looped off stomach pain combined !!

How are you doing Butterflywarrior? Hope all went well and you are having an easy recovery!

It is absolutely possible to still binge eat after surgery. Not at first. But eventually, yes. That's why it's SO important to do the hard work to deal with your binge eating disorder as the underlying root of your weight, and not ignore it. I would highly recommend finding an eating disorder therapist and working with them religiously throughout the process. I started meeting with one at 10 months post op and have been going to her weekly since then (currently 3 years post op). I know without a doubt I would have regained the weight I lost by now if I wasn't working so hard at the underlying causes. I also highly recommend the books by Geneen Roth. She deals with this a lot and her books were life-changing for me.

It is a REALLY good sign that you are thinking about these things now. The more you are proactive, the better long term success you will have.

I find that if I eat any more than 2-3 ounces of anything I get immediately sick. That's generally a good deterrent. I used to binge eat as well.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Like everyone else I very very highly recommend therapy and treatment for any eating disorder prior to and after surgery. It might stop you in the beginning, but you could cause very serious internal damage. I wouldn't go into surgery with an unresolved eating disorder. It's bad mentally and physically.