Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for hiatal hernia people

My gastric sleeve surgery has been a nonissue for postop problems compared to the crazy pain in my neck and shoulders from the hiatal hernia fix (which never was a problem). Before I left the hospital my surgeon said the neck and shoulder pain is due to him messing with my diaphragm area.

Have any of you experienced this? How long did it last?

I get a couple of good hours after taking Tylenol but trying to sleep is miserable. It's starting to get me down.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time as my sleeve surgery but didn't really experience any discomfort that I could say for sure was related to the repair....The first couple of days I had a lot of chest pain/discomfort that I assumed was related but, I never experience any "real" pain. I was very lucky! By day 6 I felt back to my old self. How far out are you from surgery?

I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time as my sleeve surgery but didn't really experience any discomfort that I could say for sure was related to the repair....The first couple of days I had a lot of chest pain/discomfort that I assumed was related but, I never experience any "real" pain. I was very lucky! By day 6 I felt back to my old self. How far out are you from surgery?

5 days. I use a heating pad for some relief. It feels like the kind of neck issues that result from being in a car wreck. The pain meds give me a headache but I may take a half tonight for some sleep.

I had hiatal hernia repair same time as the sleeve surgery on August 5. No issues from the hernia repair whatsoever, just general pain and recovery from the operation itself. No shoulder or neck pain though. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900FD using the BariatricPal App

Edited by linah

Yup. Hiatal hernia repair = significant shoulder and upper chest pain. It was hard to do the breathing tube exercises because full inhale was so painful.

They told me it isn't at all unusual to get that kind of referred pain with the hernia repair. The painkillers they gave me for the sleeve didn't help either that, so they gave me a Valium prescription to "relax" my muscles. It helped some the first two nights, but so did waking around, a heat pad, and a little shoulder rub from my honey.

Stopped everything but Tylenol on day three - I can't stand feeling groggy. Can still feel it when I breathe deep and am still sleeping propped up on pillow, but it's getting better. I'm about to go microwave another heat bag, though at this point my stitches hurt more.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

I had a hernia fixed and I started to have a little bit of pain about day three. I just used a heating pad and it seemed to help. Feel better soon!

Yup. Hiatal hernia repair = significant shoulder and upper chest pain. It was hard to do the breathing tube exercises because full inhale was so painful.

They told me it isn't at all unusual to get that kind of referred pain with the hernia repair. The painkillers they gave me for the sleeve didn't help either that, so they gave me a Valium prescription to "relax" my muscles. It helped some the first two nights, but so did waking around, a heat pad, and a little shoulder rub from my honey.

Stopped everything but Tylenol on day three - I can't stand feeling groggy. Can still feel it when I breathe deep and am still sleeping propped up on pillow, but it's getting better. I'm about to go microwave another heat bag, though at this point my stitches hurt more.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Thank you! I have researched as much as I could find online. It helps to know this is somewhat normal. I hope I can see some progression of less pain in the next few days. I'm thankful that my sleeve has not had issues. Thanks again for the info. And I hope your stitches feel better soon as well.

Edited by Ragdollorchid

No problem! Hopefully we'll both get to feeling better

I am 3 days out and finding the hernia repair pain is worse than the sleeve. Seems that the pain increases with every sip of Water and every bite of Jello. Dr. Said it will be temporary. Heating pad and time...

Sent from my KFTBWI using the BariatricPal App

I am 3 days out and finding the hernia repair pain is worse than the sleeve. Seems that the pain increases with every sip of Water and every bite of Jello. Dr. Said it will be temporary. Heating pad and time...

Yes. My heating pad is my new best friend. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle , and the life of the candle will not be shortened . Happiness never decreases by being shared. Buddhist Scripture, the Sutta Nipata. Saw this and wanted to share it. Have a glorious Sunday.

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

I have also enjoyed a great bit of relief from Biofreeze. I have a spray bottle of it and I spray my shouldered and neck area a couple times a day. Just don't use it WITH a heating pad.

I have also enjoyed a great bit of relief from Biofreeze. I have a spray bottle of it and I spray my shouldered and neck area a couple times a day. Just don't use it WITH a heating pad.

Thank you!