Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only 5% of people who do it in their own can maintain that loss. Not great odds but maybe you could be one of them. Why haven't you changed your eating habits and exercised before - or if you did - what were the results? I gave up pretending I could do it myself.

I have but never stuck to anything. I wasnt obese until after having kids. I never had to watch what I ate or exercise. I have tried to change but it was always short lived.. I see what you're saying about the percentage of people being able to do it on their own, but aren't the odds bout the same for keeping the weight off after surgery?

Sent from my Z828 using the BariatricPal App

As someone who has been overweight 15 of her almost 23 years of her life... I've tried everything.

Slim 4 life: I lost 40 pounds, but eventually it all came back.

Weight loss meds prescribed by doctor: held steady at a certain weight.

Weight watchers, different sports, dieting, etc. nothing.

I exercise consistently 3-4 days a week.

I'm hoping this is what I need to have and maintain a healthy weight, and more importantly a healthy lifestyle.

Like someone above said, the numbers for people who are able to lose weight and keep it off ON THEIR OWN is slim.

For me this is a last resort. I've tried and had little success with everything else. At this point, I'm ready to move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have but never stuck to anything. I wasnt obese until after having kids. I never had to watch what I ate or exercise. I have tried to change but it was always short lived.. I see what you're saying about the percentage of people being able to do it on their own, but aren't the odds bout the same for keeping the weight off after surgery?

The odds of losing weight and keeping it off as a morbidly obese person vs an obese person are even lower, by the way. Scarily low. Some doctors say that it's verging on impossible to lose and maintain significant weight loss once you surpass a certain BMI. The odds of losing significant weight and keeping it off after surgery are WAYYYY higher. Not to mention, if you gain your weight back after surgery, you still have all the tools you had before you started gaining it back: your surgically altered stomach, the new habits and tastes you've acquired, and the knowledge your obtained about eating healthfully during the surgery and weightloss phase. The same is not true for people who lose and gain without surgery.

If you feel that you could do this on your own, more power to you! I mean that without sarcasm. Go ahead and try to do it again on your own. But do you really see a significant, sustained loss if you go that way? Ask yourself honestly, and answer yourself honestly. Until you know this is what you want to do and you're really ready and committed to it, you're better off trying on your own anyway. This surgery, the requirements leading up to it, and the huge lifestyle and habit changes that come after it are for life and they are enormous, and no one who is not completely sure they want it and completely committed should take it on. You'll know when you're ready. Maybe you already know and you're just afraid, as we all were. Only you can know. I wish you nothing but health and happiness. :)

I get like you too. For me I have lost and gained for years. I did a study in 1994 and to stay at 167 lb my calories should have stayed at 1200. Well fast forward to 2016 and I am at 270. After menopause I blew up to 332. I went 82 lbs in my own and by not tracking gained those 20 back. I have stayed between 250-270 for almost 1.5 yrs. Feel if not now, I may never do it. All my customers that did it gained back but they eat sweets. I ❤ sweets but don't get them often as I work 7 days a week. Tomorrow I am going to tell Dr at first meet, I want it. Even this morning I was like you "cold feet" , I fear several things. We all know it is major surgery, know of hanging skin, weight gains later, so much to think about. It does get exhausting.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for all the input and knowledge .. I work as a tech in the hospital on the surgical floor where bariatric surgeries are done none the less.

My friends and family say I can don't on my own and there is no reason for the surgery .. They just don't understand, but it makes me think what I'd they are right?

I know deep down I want it I just need to accept it and move forward. I am sticking to better eating habits, joined the gym and already drinking Protein shakes. I have my EGD scheduled to I'm moving forward.

I was normal weight when I got married at 25 and normal weight when I got pregnant the first time at 28. Then I had 4 kids in 6 years and the pounds piled on. My "baby" is now 18 and I have tried every diet in the book. I am praying for surgery approval.

I should add, I have a friend who was never thin but was super morbidly obese after having 8 kids. Yes, 8 kids! She has lost over 200 pounds, slowly, with Weight Watchers and exercise. Extreme exercise. She works out several hours a day, runs marathons, does weight training and participates in those extreme obstacle course competitions, mud runs, cross fit challenges, etc. She is obsessed with keeping it off. Not only do I not have the desire to do that (most people don't have the time) but I also wonder what would happen if she injured herself and couldn't keep that up??

Anyway, as others have said, if you can do it without surgery more power to you! I know I can't, but I am old and have been trying, and failing, for too long.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

Most of us don't have a problem losing the weight until you get to a certain point in your life and then it becomes much more difficult without intervention. That said only 5% of the people that lose weight through diet and exercise are able to keep the weight off.

It is also a fact that once you lose, your body fights against you to gain that weight back and a few extra on top of it.

You have to decide if you can lose it and maintain. It will require the same life changes that you will require post surgery. The biggest difference is your new tummy helps to manage the quantity that you eat.

Best of luck in your decision process.

I felt the same way a week or two out before surgery. But then i realized i have done that before and always reverted back to my eating habits. Now if i eat too much i feel absolutely terrivle because i ate more than i could have. I have realized it was very much worth the surgery and do not regret it...down 15 lbs in a week

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App