Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is Oct 5th and I had second thoughts/cold feet a few days ago. I just keep thinking about how I want my life to be one year from now. I want/need a drastic change, and I know that for me surgery is the only way it's going to happen and have a change of sticking.

TBH I kind of feel like I'm going through a breakup of my relationship with food. We had some good times and I get sad that I won't be able to eat like I did before, but really it's for the best to just leave all those unhealthy habits behind us and start a new healthy relationship with food.

Does anyone feel like this: if I change my eating habits and exercise, loose some weight is the surgery worth it? Maybe I can do this on my own? Maybe I don't need the surgery?

Sent from my Z828 using the BariatricPal App

all the time.. then i look at myself in the mirror or in a picture my kids keep taking and i realize that i never have been able to do it on my own

Thank you for all the input and knowledge .. I work as a tech in the hospital on the surgical floor where bariatric surgeries are done none the less.

My friends and family say I can don't on my own and there is no reason for the surgery .. They just don't understand, but it makes me think what I'd they are right?

I know deep down I want it I just need to accept it and move forward. I am sticking to better eating habits, joined the gym and already drinking Protein shakes. I have my EGD scheduled to I'm moving forward.

Sent from my Z828 using the BariatricPal App

I am in your same boat with family. My husband is super supportive but when I told my parents they thought I was crazy and that it was too dangerous but in the same breath says I'm overweight and need to do something!. It made me so upset. I have a BMI of 40 plus I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea and am borderline pre diabetic. I feel like I have tried everything else and I am desperate to get under 200 again. I am 5 foot 8 and weigh 260. I haven't been under 200 since 2005 and I was close to reaching under 200 in 2011 but didn't make it. Both times were with phentramine and weigh watchers combined. I just could never keep it off. My highest weight was 292 and that was January 2015. I lost down to 250 and then gained around 10 pounds back - which is where I am currently. I have been second guessing the surgery since my parents are against it BUT I can't do it on my own. I'm 37 and I really don't want to be this heavy at 40 years old. Any support you guys can give me would be great. I am on here a lot and am watching YouTube videos of people's experiences. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Your friends and family are not the ones going through this. You are.

You have to do what's best for you, and once you start losing weight, they will either be very happy for you, or very jealous of you. But this is about YOU... not them.

I waited until I was 51... I watched my ex sister in law go through surgery when my son was born... I got on a serious diet and lost 50lbs and thought "Hmph, I can do what she couldn't do!"... then fast forward 9 years, and I not only gained it all back, but my thyroid went wonky, and I quit smoking... and gained an additional 40lbs on top of it!

This surgery was for me, and I'm very pleased with where I'm heading.

All of that said,,, YOU have to be ready to make changes. You cannot expect this surgery to work just because you're having surgery. YOU have to be ready to make changes as well. Make sure you're ready for that part. The surgery only works on our stomach, not our brain.

@aquarius1234. Just as I have found the answer, I believe you too know what is right for yourself.