Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!

So, I had my GVS surgery back in January 2015 and have lost a total of 100 pounds (Woot!). I feel amazing and great and things seem to be going good with my body! (I did have to have my gallbladder removed this past October but after that, smooth sailing!). This is a question for those ladies who had PCOS before surgery.

I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 21 and it is one of the main reasons I decided to have surgery because I was close to having type 2 diabetes as well as the issues of PCOS (infertility).

Now that I've lost all this weight, my surgeon said I'm cleared to try and get pregnant. So, my husband and I have started the process with no success... I've been tracking my periods and ovulation cycles for the past 3-4 months and n0thing... :(

I recently had had my regular appointment with my endocrinologist and it showed my testosterone levels are very high and that my sugar levels also are high. This is the first time since surgery! My numbers were great before! Has this happen to anyone else? I have been on a stall for the past 4 months but have continued my diet and exercise routine.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem after losing a lot of weight? My doctor was a bit surprised because usually with so much weight loss my numbers should go down. He even talked about me going back on metformin! :blush:

Anyone else in the PCOS world experience this?

Thank you!

Hello everyone!

So, I had my GVS surgery back in January 2015 and have lost a total of 100 pounds (Woot!). I feel amazing and great and things seem to be going good with my body! (I did have to have my gallbladder removed this past October but after that, smooth sailing!). This is a question for those ladies who had PCOS before surgery.

I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 21 and it is one of the main reasons I decided to have surgery because I was close to having type 2 diabetes as well as the issues of PCOS (infertility).

Now that I've lost all this weight, my surgeon said I'm cleared to try and get pregnant. So, my husband and I have started the process with no success... I've been tracking my periods and ovulation cycles for the past 3-4 months and n0thing... :(

I recently had had my regular appointment with my endocrinologist and it showed my testosterone levels are very high and that my sugar levels also are high. This is the first time since surgery! My numbers were great before! Has this happen to anyone else? I have been on a stall for the past 4 months but have continued my diet and exercise routine.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem after losing a lot of weight? My doctor was a bit surprised because usually with so much weight loss my numbers should go down. He even talked about me going back on metformin! :blush:

Thank you!

I don't have any advice since I'm not trying to get pregnant. I just love your post because you are trying. I'm proud of you for that and for losing 100 pounds!

But, since your sugar is high, it makes me wonder if maybe you're eating too many carbs or fattening things? I know you said you're still dieting, but are you cheating with meals?

Also, have you ever thought about Spironolactone? It's a potassium sparing diuretic that blocks testosterone. I took it and it really helped! It took away amlost all the excess hair I had from too much testosterone.

Congrats on your weight loss! I would not worry, especially being that you have having a menstrual/ovulating every month. 3-4 months is not a long time in regards to conceiving. I am at a weight loss of 75lbs, I have PCOS as well and my diabetes started to come back as well. And I just found out I'm 6wks pregnant (7mos post op). Wish you the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

• Hiraeth
  • Thanks for your comment! I follow the rule of anything I eat is no more than 10 g of sugar, at least 3 Fiber, and no more than 2.5 saturated fats. I once in awhile "cheat" but it's very rare. I follow a gluten-free diabetic diet. I will double check my carbs though! I bet some of those gluten free breads are a bit too high... Thank you for your kind words and advise!
  • Prettylady512
  • Congratulations!!! I'm glad to hear someone else who seems to have the same thing going on. Did you have to go back on any medication? How long have you been trying? If I'm asking too much, just let me know! :)

• Hiraeth
  • Thanks for your comment! I follow the rule of anything I eat is no more than 10 g of sugar, at least 3 Fiber, and no more than 2.5 saturated fats. I once in awhile "cheat" but it's very rare. I follow a gluten-free diabetic diet. I will double check my carbs though! I bet some of those gluten free breads are a bit too high... Thank you for your kind words and advise!

• Prettylady512
  • Congratulations!!! I'm glad to hear someone else who seems to have the same thing going on. Did you have to go back on any medication? How long have you been trying? If I'm asking too much, just let me know! :)
Luckily I'm not back on medication yet. It took about 6mos. This is tmi...but there were months when my partner and I were having crazy amounts of bedroom fun (even before and on ovulation day) and my period came as scheduled.

I gave up...I started to think my lady parts weren't working!!!...lol. Then out of nowhere I was pregnant about the 6th month.

I just say give it some more time. I know that can be frustrating to hear. But at least a solid 6-12 months. As that's how long it usually takes some couples. Have fun in the process!!!...lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

• Hiraeth
  • Thanks for your comment! I follow the rule of anything I eat is no more than 10 g of sugar, at least 3 fiber, and no more than 2.5 saturated fats. I once in awhile "cheat" but it's very rare. I follow a gluten-free diabetic diet. I will double check my carbs though! I bet some of those gluten free breads are a bit too high... Thank you for your kind words and advise!
  • Prettylady512

Hey! No problem. I think it's so sweet that you're trying to get pregnant. I really admire that. Please keep us updated. I'll be praying and keeping you in my thoughts! <3

So I haven't had surgery yet but I do have pcos. It does sound like you may be getting to many carbs. Get you and app like fatsecret to track exactly what ur eating. If you want to lose more I suggest keeping ur carbs as close to 20g a day as possible. I agree 3-4 months isn't a long time to be trying, have you bought opks? Have you're cycles become and stayed regular? What kind of lube do you use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

• Kyn13
  • I have been using the app Ovia to track my cycles. They are like clockwork and come exactly when they should. I will definietely look into fatsecret, I never heard of that! Also, no lube - Ovia recommended NOT to use lube.

I just need to be more patient it seems! UGH! ;) Thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted!

• Kyn13
  • I have been using the app Ovia to track my cycles. They are like clockwork and come exactly when they should. I will definietely look into fatsecret, I never heard of that! Also, no lube - Ovia recommended NOT to use lube.

I just need to be more patient it seems! UGH! ;) Thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted!

Ok so I would recommend going online to Amazon and ordering pee strips that help u pin point ur ovulation day, they can be amazing if you ovulate, I bought them and come to find out I'm too heavy and not ovulating. Any way then there is lube called pre seed. It's the best lube to use while trying as it doesn't hurt the sperm and helps them get there better. Also try using the app called glow I love it, it helps track everything and doubles as a community like this one. And they are so helpful. I will definitely go back to using it once we can try again n a few yrs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

Hello everyone!

Thank you!

I don't have any advice about the testosterone but I was screened as pre-diabetic last year (pre vsg) but I began to take magnese & chromium and it bought my sugar levels back to normal range. Maybe it would help you as well. It's a natural alternative to the medicine. Please do you research prior to though. Best wishes & congrats to you & your hubby on your journey

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have read research that says that you can lengthen your "fertile" part of your cycle by taking 100g of Vitamin B6 and also supplementing with B1.

From my understanding it balances out your progesterone and hormones.

Might be worth looking into further.

Hello everyone!

Thank you!

I am not diabetic but I have PCOS, I had to take metformin to ovulate. Could be a win win situation for you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App