Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op. Had 2 pieces of California sushi roll - small round pieces. OMG horrible pain like a heart attack for 40 mins continual. Felt like it was stuck and wouldn't go down. Never experienced this up to now. Was two pieces too much - I really didn't think so or could it be the rice expanding in your stomach?

Sent from my SM-J200Y using the BariatricPal App

So rice is def not something you should be having at 3 weeks.. I mean most people are still on some sort of controlled diet during this stage. I would wait a few more months to try rice, as it's one of those things we should try to stay away from. I have sushi but always ask for no rice.. 3 weeks out tho may be too soon for any kind of sushi. Did you check with your surgeon?

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Good to know . Wondered if it was the rice and no didn't know it was a no no at this point. Thank you.

Yeah you should def only be on mushy foods - or maybe soft at the very most.

Do surgeons really just not tell patients what to eat? Crazy!! Hope you feel OK after that sushi.

Edited by missblonde20

Still suffering, man what a bad experience but a learning curve all the same!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Were you not given a plan to follow ?

I doubt rice is on that plan.

3 weeks out from weight loss surgery and eating California rolls isn't a good sign that you are committed to making the changes that are needed.

Not trying to be a jerk....but when we play stupid games we win stupid prizes.

3 weeks post op. Had 2 pieces of California sushi roll - small round pieces. OMG horrible pain like a heart attack for 40 mins continual. Felt like it was stuck and wouldn't go down. Never experienced this up to now. Was two pieces too much - I really didn't think so or could it be the rice expanding in your stomach?

Probably both. At three weeks I was on soft foods. Sushi was definitely NOT on the approved list.

It's a shame that education on appropriate diets isn't universal across all surgical plans. Sorry you felt bad, but glad you didn't do any permanent damage and lesson learned. I would stick to soft soft foods and no rice for a long time. I'm 7 months out and still don't eat rice. It's just not what I want to put in my body.

@@els If you still don't feel well - I'd call your surgeon. Rice can get stuck in your staples and cause significant complications. Please be careful to review your allowed foods at this stage.

Guys, I really appreciate all the advice. To 'Dub' - your comments weren't particularly helpful. I was out walking with my husband and we bought a 6 pack of sushi to share. I am on the soft foods regime at the moment and thought it would be OK. It was a snap decision and I didn't have my bariatric notes with me and had obviously missed seeing about rice so thought it was ok. Through this forum I now realise rice is a big no no. I was not playing 'stupid games' as you put it. It was an innocent mistake. Let's be honest there is a big list of foods and dos and donts.

Perhaps.

I've found the instructions given by my surgeon to be extremely simple at all stages. Short list of food types. Maybe it's just that the diet is way more simple later on vs the initial month. Even then he kept it very restrictive. Not much to remember on my part.

All programs have differences.

Sorry for coming off this way.

I guess I see so many posts that are counter to the straightforward eating plan that I just shake my head: pizza in the first month, buffets at two months, one guy ate a 20oz steak fairly early on and was mad that his sleeve allowed it, etc, etc. Sushi at 3 weeks hit me the same way.

My apologies.

My nut explained soft food as anything that is easily mushed with a fork. Raw salmon can be spread, and tuna too. It is on my list for purée also early. They explained that every surgeon has different instructions. So follow your own plan given to you after leaving your follow up visits. I live down at the NJ shore, in a fishing town. Fresh seafood always available.

All good 'Dub', onwards and upwards (or downwards as far as weight loss anyway)!