Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of actual surgery

I've read alot of post's of people being scared of the post VSG changes. I feel like I'm the only one who's only scared of the surgery itself. I'm not scared of changes after the surgery or even the pain. I'm more scared of surgery and being under anesthesia. I've had one surgery in 2011 for gallbladder & was literally crying the night before.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm also a little concerned about The surgery itself as I have never been under anesthesia except when I had my wisdoms teeth removed. I think about what If something goes wrong or I don't wake up. It terrifies me just thinking about it. I trying to remain positive thought. I have at least 3 months until my surgery so I'm hoping my fears are lessened by then

@Ivfavy c'mere and hold my hand while I tell you this.

If you have a job and you do it every single day, day-in and day-out, would you want anyone else doing that job? The nurses and surgeons are trained to do this one thing over and over. They are incredible experts. They could likely do it in their sleep. Take comfort in knowing they really know what they are doing and relax into their proficient hands.

Also know... by the time you get to the hospital, you will have been given so many instructions, which insure a positive outcome. You will have been prepped for months before you even got to the hospital. So take comfort in that as well.

I would go so far as to say, the surgery will be the easiest part because you don't even have to participate. You get to sleep through it!

Your assigned legions of angels are already around you.

I can do all things through Christ. Phil 4:3

If you have a job and you do it every single day, day-in and day-out, would you want anyone else doing that job? The nurses and surgeons are trained to do this one thing over and over. They are incredible experts. They could likely do it in their sleep. Take comfort in knowing they really know what they are doing and relax into their proficient hands.

Also know... by the time you get to the hospital, you will have been given so many instructions, which insure a positive outcome. You will have been prepped for months before you even got to the hospital. So take comfort in that as well.

I would go so far as to say, the surgery will be the easiest part because you don't even have to participate. You get to sleep through it!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Thank you !! This is great to remember & read.

I'm an RN, and my anxiety level about the surgery is insane, but I think it has more to do with the excitement of this new journey! If you're worried about the surgery itself, you won't remember or feel a thing. Anesthesiologist are at the head of the bed and will ensure that you wake up at the end of your surgery.....and IF you don't, there are medications that will wake you up! I assure you that it won't be a problem!

Anyhow, I'm seeing my surgeon in 2 weeks! How long did it take you all to get a surgery date?

I'm an RN, and my anxiety level about the surgery is insane, but I think it has more to do with the excitement of this new journey! If you're worried about the surgery itself, you won't remember or feel a thing. Anesthesiologist are at the head of the bed and will ensure that you wake up at the end of your surgery.....and IF you don't, there are medications that will wake you up! I assure you that it won't be a problem!

Anyhow, I'm seeing my surgeon in 2 weeks! How long did it take you all to get a surgery date?

It's funny my cousin is an RN & she fully supports me and tries to help my anxiety with the surgery but if she even gets a toe pain she's on the phone calling me freaked out lol I think the job can also give anxiety.

Anyways it will take me 3 months I started on July 5 first consult & should be having surgery end of October my insurances requires 3 months of supervision

What insurance do you have? If you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping I don't have to wait 3 months and LOL sometimes being a nurse makes things 100 times worse because we know exactly what to expect and we know the things that happen in the field haha!

What insurance do you have? If you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping I don't have to wait 3 months and LOL sometimes being a nurse makes things 100 times worse because we know exactly what to expect and we know the things that happen in the field haha!

I have CIGNA open access plus 3 months is actually short I've been reading here a lot of other insurance want 6 months !!!!

Yes, that's was my cousin says the job makes it worse not better you see mistakes, so many issues and diseases it gives you anxiety.

I have CIGNA open access plus 3 months is actually short I've been reading here a lot of other insurance want 6 months !!!!

Yes, that's was my cousin says the job makes it worse not better you see mistakes, so many issues and diseases it gives you anxiety.

I'm not doing the sleeve but I am going under as well. Every time I think about it the fears creep in. My surgery is next Thursday. I feel like Im not ready, Im not prepared, even though I am. Lol. I will more than likely be panicky up until the anathesia knocks me out. It happened during my gallbladder surgery I tried to take the face mask off, heard the heart monitor going off, and then I woke up. Lol. I worried for nothing. I keep telling myself its the same and everything will be fine but there's still that fear, so you're not alone.

But everything will be fine for me and for you...hopefully. ????

It's never too late, until its too late

I'm not doing the sleeve but I am going under as well. Every time I think about it the fears creep in. My surgery is next Thursday. I feel like Im not ready, Im not prepared, even though I am. Lol. I will more than likely be panicky up until the anathesia knocks me out. It happened during my gallbladder surgery I tried to take the face mask off, heard the heart monitor going off, and then I woke up. Lol. I worried for nothing. I keep telling myself its the same and everything will be fine but there's still that fear, so you're not alone.

But everything will be fine for me and for you...hopefully.

It's never too late, until its too late

I was also scared of my gallbladder surgery & keep telling myself it will be the same. I try not to think about it but just thinking of 80% of my stomach being taken out sounds scary & just being under anesthesia is terrifying to me.

I am also afraid of surgery but I'm more afraid of what will happen to me if I don't do this. I have been under anesthesia before a few times and I handled it just fine. I will just pray and be positive.

I was also scared of my gallbladder surgery & keep telling myself it will be the same. I try not to think about it but just thinking of 80% of my stomach being taken out sounds scary & just being under anesthesia is terrifying to me.

The fact that you've had anesthesia before and (I'm assuming) without complications is reassuring in and of itself. A small percentage of people have a very bad reaction to anesthesia because of an inherited condition. So if you've had successful anesthesia in the past, your risks go way down.

Surgery is scary, even to those of us in the medical profession. It's a complete loss of control and placing trust in other people to take care of you. And the media plays up the rare complications and makes them seem much more common than they are.

Try to relax. Easier said than done, but honestly your risks are higher on the drive to the hospital. :)