Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you lose after the year mark?

Hi all! I am nearing the 11 month mark and am 103 lbs down. I hit a 2 1/2 month stall around month 7 which was really frustrating. I was hoping to be down a lot further at the year mark and I am getting close. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely proud of what I have accomplished so far, but I am just hoping for some stories from those who have been there to help me stay positive. My goal weight that was set at surgery would mean I need to lose another 70, but I would really like to reach the 200 lb down mark.

So, for those who have been there, how much did you continue to lose after the year mark?

I was what I would describe as a slower loser because of my inability to exercise as aggressively as I would like.

It took me a full 18 months to get to my ideal weight. The last 20lbs were brutal and took really hard work and focus on my part to make that happen again because I was not allowed to exercise like I would like to.

I lost 151lbs over all. I weight 159 now so almost 1/2 of my body weight. At the one year mark I had lost about 115.

I also had a 28 day stall at the 7 month mark and as you know this is quite common.

Personally I refrained completely from setting any time limits on my loss. I simply kept mini goals along the way and celebrated with new clothing or something nice to keep me motivated. I never ever used food as a motivator either.

I am the type of person that knows if I put a time limit to something and don't hit it, it can be demotivating.

Your are doing fantastic! Slow and steady really does win the race and definately builds much better long term habits.

Best of luck to you!

@@TXTinana

I am looking forward to the answers if they come, but I kind of already know the answer.

When I did my research before I had the sleeve, I knew with my BMI it was going to take longer than a year to lose all the weight and it was going to slow down around this point. High BMI people take 18-24 months to lose all their weight and it slows a lot after the bulk comes off quickly.

Knowing it, and living it are two different things and it can be frustrating. I haven't had a stall last longer than 2 to 3 weeks though.

I reached my goal right at my 1 year mark and have lost about 10 more pounds in the 10 months since, without wanting to. But I had less to lose than you to start. I don't think you need to worry about not reaching goal at some point. Your ability to lose weight doesn't magically shut off at the 12 month mark. It does get harder and harder the closer you get to goal, but that's true of all weight loss, it's not unique to WLS. As long as you keep working at it, stick to your plan, and up your exercise intensity, you will get there eventually.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I kinda knew the answer too but as I said, I guess I was just looking for a little reassurance that the 12 month mark is not the end all and be all. I knew 18 months was the number given to me, I guess I was just getting down on myself with that stall.

Oh, heck no -- 12 months is not a cut-off point at all!

I reached my goal (150 pounds) at 8.5 months.

And then 8 months later I had lost another 15 pounds (down to 135 pounds), which is where I'm maintaining at nearly 2 years post-op.

The calendar doesn't control your weight loss. You do. :)

@@Djmohr I'm also limited to exercise as I have a middle ear condition that causes sudden vertigo and blackouts from just a slight turn of the head/neck. I have ran on the treadmill a bit throughout this journey but have gotten quite a scare twice already. Is it possible to continue to lose weight (after the brunt of it is gone) I have lost 142 lbs but ideally need to lose another 40-50 lbs. I am currently stalled now for about 1 month at 10 months post-op. Help! I'm feeling sooo discouraged.

OP, I didn't mean to high jack your post, but it hit so close to home and I'm pretty down about the weight loss freeze I'm currently going through. Thanks for reading my mind!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by UalreadyKnow

@@UalreadyKnow

I will message you directly so we don't hijack their post. :(

@@Bufflehead is the one person I can think of that started at a high BMI and lost over 200 pounds. Maybe she can talk about what happens after 12 months.

If I remember right, I lost about another 65 lbs after my one year surgiversary, and it took me about 9 months to do it. It was hard work, particularly the last 20 lbs. I always say I had to do hand-to-hand combat with every one of those pounds. My rules were:

--weigh or measure virtually every portion and log it. No guesswork, no samples or nibbles.

--keep calories between 1000-1200 most days

--no grains, no sweets, no starchy vegetables

--exercise at least 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week. Walking and ordinary household chores do not count as exercise. It must be purposeful exercise that at least leaves me breathing hard.

--do not attempt to count calories burned or "eat back" exercise calories. Just do the exercise. (If you are using MFP, either don't record the exercise or record it and change the calories burned to 1).

--occasionally I would stall, and I would switch to a 5/2 eating program for 10 days and that would always break the stall.

--weigh myself every day

Good luck! Weight loss does not stop unless you let it.

@@UalreadyKnow Actually I would like to hear the answers to your question as well. You didn't hijack at all, it is very fitting to what I am going through right now.

@@Bufflehead Thanks for the tips!