Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'd love to hear from some of you who stopped needing CPAP after your weight loss. Did you just stop on your own or did you do another sleep study first?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Following. I just posted similar post on CPAP.

After about a month post op, I noticed that my mouth was always dry (first time in using CPAP for 5 years that happened). I checked my reports and saw that my average pressure was dropping and by the third month post op it was way down. I consulted my sleep doc, and he suggested I try not sleeping with the cpap. I did that about seven and a half months ago and haven't used it since. I am resting well and according to my wife no longer snoring The weight loss really did the trick!

I slowly weaned off the pressures at about 1 year post op. It got to a point where I was on the lowest possible settings and my mouth was constantly popping open because the minimum pressure was too much.

I suspected the sleep apnea was resolved in my first month after a 30 pound (10%) weight loss. Since I live alone there wasn't anyone to confirm. So I found a free app called SnoreLab and downloaded to my cell phone. It records snoring and apnea episodes throughout the night. It confirmed there was zero apnea episodes and snoring was now minimal to none.

My dog snores more than I do now.

CPAP went in the trash.

That alone made the surgery worth it !!!!!

Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking I might already be able to give it up. I'm surprised to think this already, at only 7 weeks post op and 36 pounds down. Sounds like others saw a change early on too though, so I think it's time to talk to my doc about it. Yay!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

3 weeks ago I had a take home sleep study performed.

I no longer need to wear the CPAP machine since I no longer have sleep apnea due to the weight I lost (Happy dance time).

It is not guaranteed that you will no longer have sleep apnea/require the use of a CPAP machine, but there is a good chance you may not as you lose your excess weight.

I wouldn't recommend stopping on your own. Have a study performed after you lost most of your excess body weight.

Also, just because you may still snore after you lose that excess weight, it doesn't necessarily mean you still have sleep apnea.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

At least do yourself a favor and request an overnight oximetry. It won't count your AHI but it will see the desaturation. With sleep apnea you will see the correlation between your heart rate and your desaturations. The pattern will look like a saw if you still have sleep apnea. It is a cheap test and you do it overnight while you sleep.

FYI. The standard for somebody to need supplemental oxygen is 88% or lower for more than 5 minutes of the night. Your brain uses approximately 30% of the oxygen that you intake. It's one of those things you want to make sure you do it right.

I am 20 mth out from surgery and 182# down from my highest weight ever. I have been on CPAP for 15 years. They had to put me on Auto Pap to reduce the amount of air but still require therapy. I also have RLS, tuff with to sleep disorders, but please make the decision based on data and your doc advice. This is one call you want to get right.

I'm almost 3 months out, down 40 lbs, and still use my CPAP, however, I read in these posts that someone kept waking up with an extremely dry mouth. That has been happening to me as well. I guess I should talk to my doctor about another sleep study? I might not need the machine anymore. That would be great for when my husband and I travel I won't need to worry about bringing the CPAP!

Mine was an automated bipap machine with built in monitoring. When I went over 3 weeks without incidents I gave it to my mom because her's died.

I found one of these units used for $300, so I bought it, and the data was great.

http://www.thecpapshop.com/respironics-bipap-autosv-advanced-system-one-1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwMi7BRDGptbvwOCDj8oBEiQAIALyDCjyFJYdQinfL9pMb3BdFOJRmPVzzVGFFwZ8TVadjtoaAh4O8P8HAQ

Mine was an automated bipap machine with built in monitoring. When I went over 3 weeks without incidents I gave it to my mom because her's died.

I wish mine was auto. I hate the doc at my sleep clinic, so I won't go back. My primary doc writes the script for my supplies. So when I need to start getting it adjusted as I lose weight I'll probably need to find a new clinic. :(