Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi - I am 17 days post op, sleeved on May 9th. I know the topic is TMI but I need to ask. And I will contact surgeon tomorrow. So here goes,...

Tonight, I noticed my urine was dark orange (more dark orange/brown towards bottom of bowl). In fact, I saw some of the darker parts falling to the bottom as I stood to check. I am concerned.

For the day I drank at least 50oz of Water, just shy of my 64oz goal. For Protein I've been doing pretty well, but I know I could do better. What's also on my mind, is that I didn't have much of an urge to pee either after all I drank (and some of that was Decaf tea).

I did not have any colored foods (like beets or jell-o). I did have about 2 Tbsp of marinara. It had been 24hrs since my last Vitamin (and I opted to not take my Vitamins tonight so I could continue to monitor the color). I have NO fever or other symptoms (except for one of my incisions that hurts only when I bend - like the scab is coming off and tearing a bit). Doesn't seem related. Everything else seems ok.

Thoughts?

I will share what doctor/surgeon says after I speak to them tomorrow.

Thanks!

Fluids fluids fluids.

Drink fluids.

Drink as much as possible without vomiting.

Did I mention drinking fluids?

The kidneys get rid of your body's waste through urine. Urine ideally should be a light yellow color to almost colorless. Dark tea colored or brown urine means your kidneys are concentrating urea output because you are dehydrated. Sounds like your urine also has sediments, which is not good. Do your kidneys and your whole body a favor, stay hydrated and keep on drinking. food shouldn't change the color of your urine, and unless you are taking very specific tuberculosis or prostate drugs, you won't see your urine change to red, orange, blue, or green color. You can also developed a UTI by not drinking and emptying your bladder frequently. I recommend downloading a Water reminder app for your phone and carry a bottle of Water with you all day long. bmi.png

Edited by jea(n__n)ette

Thanks @Jea(n_n)ette. I appreciate the info. I am drinking as much as I can. Bring Water with me everywhere. I've seen it when I've been dehydrated - dark to bright yellow. But I've never seen sediments or this color before. Thanks again for the reply! :) Will continue to drink....sip, sip, sip. [emoji97]

Are you taking Iron? That usually changes the color

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

Hi - I am 17 days post op, sleeved on May 9th. I know the topic is TMI but I need to ask. And I will contact surgeon tomorrow. So here goes,...

Tonight, I noticed my urine was dark orange (more dark orange/brown towards bottom of bowl). In fact, I saw some of the darker parts falling to the bottom as I stood to check. I am concerned.

For the day I drank at least 50oz of Water, just shy of my 64oz goal. For Protein I've been doing pretty well, but I know I could do better. What's also on my mind, is that I didn't have much of an urge to pee either after all I drank (and some of that was Decaf tea).

I did not have any colored foods (like beets or jell-o). I did have about 2 Tbsp of marinara. It had been 24hrs since my last Vitamin (and I opted to not take my Vitamins tonight so I could continue to monitor the color). I have NO fever or other symptoms (except for one of my incisions that hurts only when I bend - like the scab is coming off and tearing a bit). Doesn't seem related. Everything else seems ok.

Thoughts?

Thanks!Hi!

There are alot of reasons that could happen. Aleays best to check with the dr. :)

Are/were you on a post op antibiotic?

Did they use a cathader (sp) at any time when you were in the hospital? They are sometimes used during the operation but it isn't very common.

I would ask the dr if you can take chewable Vitamin C. If it is the start of a UTI taking high doses of Vitamin C can help. (It raises the acidity level of the urine which makes it a bad environment for the bacteria to grow.)

Keep us updated!

Edited by Pazza

Vitamin B complex can also cause urine to be excessively yellow. If you are only getting 50 oz of Water, that's still not enough. You'll get there eventually though. We all go through this. Don't freak out!

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

@@newstacey - any updates? Hope all is well and its just you needing to drink more :)

To address above - not on antibiotics, I was not catheterized, have no UTI symptoms, and removed Vitamins so I could monitor color in true form. (Going back on the Vitamins ASAP).

UPDATE - I see both my PCP and Surgeon today. I will get a lab slip from my docs for urinalysis but it seems this might have been breakthrough bleeding from my period (which I was not expecting since I had it two wks ago). Given the trauma to my body and the hormonal changes I could be outta whack. It is not uncommon for my period to have a "sediment" look to it. But I don't know for sure. So I've been continuing to drink Water. This morning - when it should be concentrated - it was fairly diluted and no brown or orange or sediments.

Bottom line, the jury is still out and I will continue to watch but I no longer feel a sense of alarm.

Thanks all for your help & suggestions.

Hi! So glad to hear you found out what is was! Knowing can really help.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

waiting to know you are fine.

Sent from my SM-N920C using the BariatricPal App