Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you lose weight for?

I've heard the 1st yr is that magic time to lose the weight, but are there people that has lost more weight after the yr mark?

I guess my biggest concern is I am getting close to my surgerversery and I still a little more than I want to be. I am about 15 lbs from my Drs goal weight but I am about 35lbs from my dream weight. I had a lot of stressors come around these past couple months so my weight loss has stalled since I fell off the wagon. I am trying to make better choices each and every day now but I want to know there is still hope lol.

Weight loss doesn't magically switch off right at the 12 month mark. I reached my goal right near a year, but if I chose to keep losing weight, I would have. As it is, I ended up about 6-7 pounds below goal without even trying and now I have to track my food to make sure I'm eating ENOUGH calories not to lose any more weight. I'm 19 months post-op now.

As long as you work to lose weight, you will continue to lose weight. Does it slow down for some people? Sure. But it's still a mater of burning more than you are consuming. You can control both of those things.

What @@JamieLogical said ... me, too.

At 19.5 months post-op, I could still lose weight if I wanted to. For me, it's a matter of what and how much I eat. Period.

That's the way it is for a lot of people here.

I don't know where this idea comes from that there's an expiration date on our post-op bodies' abilities to lose weight.

My Dr said it was important to lose the bulk of the weight by 9 months out to be able to reach goal. I didn't think that at 12 months it just magically stopped. I guess when u have less weight to lose it just slows.

I definitely lost the most weight in the first year. Once everyting completely heals, you are able to eat more "kinds" of foods, and it becomes easier to allow old habits back in. Maybe that is why for a lot of people weight loss slows after that point. I agree with others though, there is nothing magical about 1 year. As long as you stick to the plan and make it a whole life change, and not a "diet" you will continue to lose.

Yeah, I think the real issue isn't some magical expiration date on restriction or metabolism. It's that around 9-12 months post-op, you lose focus. Real life is happening. You get more easily distracted from the task at hand. Surgery isn't THE THING in your life anymore. You've adapted to how much you can eat at one time. Early on pre-op and post-op, surgery is the only thing you are thinking about. You are obsessed with it. It dominates your life. By 9-12 months, it's become your new "normal" and you start caring about other things more and it's easy to fall back into old habits if you don't stay diligent and determined.

well for crying out loud Jamie! that's gonna hit me right at Thanksgiving/Christmas. y'all are going to have to help me around then!

well for crying out loud Jamie! that's gonna hit me right at Thanksgiving/Christmas. y'all are going to have to help me around then!

I have faith in you to stay strong through it! And the good news is, even if you get a little off track through the Holidays, you'll still have your sleeve ready and waiting for you when you get back on track.

I'm 2.5 years out and still at my goal weight which is 150 pounds from my highest weight. Yes, it gets harder after the first year but I find the restriction to be a huge tool ongoing. I continue to measure and log and it's easier than I expected...

I'm over a year post-op, hit my goal and I am still losing. At my one year my surgeon said I would for at least 18 months. However if there is anything reading this forum has taught me is there is no right number. It seems like every person has been told a different thing from their Dr. I shouldn't have to worry too much about the scale number if I just keep tracking and doing what I have been doing the last year.

Edited by OneDollarBill

All of you amazing veterans, what calorie range were you in the LOSING phase? I'm almost 10mths out and have stalled... I was eating 850-1000 and working out 4 days per week. Several people including surged think I need to be at 1200 cals to lose, but my body doesn't like that for weight loss. I do have a lot of thyroid issues but GEEZ, I'm truly putting in the work and NOT giving up... Just curious what calorie worked for you all. I can meet my protein/water goals at both of these caloric ranges.

Im still in pre-op but I also have major thyroid issues... I've always found that whole concept that I need to eat more to lose to be false. I can eat 1400 cals a day and burn 1000 more than that according to my fit bit, living on a pure paleo diet and lose nothing. I think for us with thyroid that calories in calories out is a lie and that we have to go lower on the calories to lose weight. Also, working out too hard seems to send us into a downward spiral where we also don't lose sight if we're pushing it too hard.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

All of you amazing veterans, what calorie range were you in the LOSING phase? I'm almost 10mths out and have stalled... I was eating 850-1000 and working out 4 days per week. Several people including surged think I need to be at 1200 cals to lose, but my body doesn't like that for weight loss. I do have a lot of thyroid issues but GEEZ, I'm truly putting in the work and NOT giving up... Just curious what calorie worked for you all. I can meet my protein/water goals at both of these caloric ranges.

While in the losing phase, my nut increased daily calories from 1000 to 1200 and it did kick start my rate of weight loss. Obviously, each of us is different so follow the advice of your medical team.

Another way I broke out of plateaus was to mix up my workout routine. Our bodies get used to regular routines and need a surprise periodically.

Im still in pre-op but I also have major thyroid issues... I've always found that whole concept that I need to eat more to lose to be false. I can eat 1400 cals a day and burn 1000 more than that according to my fit bit, living on a pure paleo diet and lose nothing. I think for us with thyroid that calories in calories out is a lie and that we have to go lower on the calories to lose weight. Also, working out too hard seems to send us into a downward spiral where we also don't lose sight if we're pushing it too hard.

One thing I've learned is that it's different with the surgery. Our bodies get used to the severe calorie deficit, and if we don't continue to increase calories as we get further out from surgery, it can screw up our metabolic rates. You don't want to have to maintain your weight when you get to goal on 800 calories for the rest of your life, do you?

You'll find what works for you.

Good to know! No, I don't *want* to do that but after 10 years of trying to lose weight and being unsuccessful, I'm willing to live with pretty much whatever requirement it takes for me to maintain a weight loss and get my health back