Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I am having sleeve on 2/29. So technically I shouldn't be on this one yet... But have a question for the already sleeved. How do you deal with excess skin? I believe that my health is most definitely more important that my looks, but I must admit I am still concerned about it. Can some of you share your feelings/concerns? Thank you.

I'm only just over 3 months post-op but already with 80;bs of loss, can notice a lot of skin. So far the only skin really bothering me is the half skin/fat of my double chin that is still lurking. Otherwise at this point, I am actually excited for the excess skin- because it's not fat. This might sound silly- but right now, it's soft and squishy and is fun to touch. However having said that, depending on insurance coverage when I am ready and have lost most of my weight I might consider my arms (THEY ARE MASSIVE) and POSSIBLY my stomach (but that depends on how bad it is) and I would LOVE a boob job. The one part of my body I used to love (my big ample breasts) are now just saggy gross things that don't even look good in a bra. lol

I am single, in my 30's and am done having kids- so this also plays a factor in my decision to move ahead with plastics.

Edited by ♥dreamable

I watched skin tight the other day, on it the Dr said the amount of excess skin depends on how long you've been over weight. I'm already seeing new stretch marks. Pretty sure I'll have the belly hang and lose my boobs. (Btw: it's great show to showcase large amounts of excess skin from rapid weight loss..real people with real situations).

I'm actually going to meet with a plastic surgeon tomorrow! I carried my fat all over but predominately in my chest and stomach. At minimum I'll need a Tummy Tuck and breast lift. I look great with clothes on though! I wear compression shirts that hold my loose skin close to my body and no one can tell I even have it. When I'm naked however...is a completely different story.

Here is a pic to sum it up:

post-233184-1455490884107_thumb.jpg

I'm only 3 months out, but down 80 lbs...down well past my 1/2 way mark. I'm 38, and where I notice the loose skin mostly is my lower stomach----but honestly I have had a fat roll there since I was a kid and have had 3 kiddos....so I guess that is expected. I see a little under my arm, and a little on my legs....but my stomach is the only place that really bugs me now.

This is something that I think about every time I get undressed ...

I definitely want my arms done ... I swear if I get caught in a good wind .... I'm outta here!

My chest ... omg ... I look like a patient on "Botched" that had her implants removed ... and I don't even have implants! :o

Tummy ... I can live with .... not going to wear a bikini....EVER ...

My legs ... jury's still out on that one ... lymphedema may have other plans for them ...

I won't have surgery until the 24th. However, my friend that is 15 month's post surgery just had a Tummy Tuck on January 29th and said it was so worth it. Said the surgery was a whole lot more painful than sleeve was but lost 10 pounds of skin and went down another size. I'm just going to wait and see how I feel before deciding anything. First gotta lose the weight.

I've lost 65. My boobs are saggy. My belly is a little squishy. My arms are actually ok. My Buns are just skin now. Hopefully I can tone that up a little. I can deal with all of it. Maybe a boob lift in a few years. I was 200, now I'm 135. I look great in clothes. No bikini, but a tankini will be awesome. I'm 45 so I'm not expecting to look 20. My husband thinks I look great. Getting sleeved was the BEST thing I've ever done. Good luck...you're going to be so happy. [emoji4]

Edited by TJBintheOC

I'm actually going to meet with a plastic surgeon tomorrow! I carried my fat all over but predominately in my chest and stomach. At minimum I'll need a Tummy Tuck and breast lift. I look great with clothes on though! I wear compression shirts that hold my loose skin close to my body and no one can tell I even have it. When I'm naked however...is a completely different story.

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1455490873.573134.jpg

Please share how your consult goes including price. I am still about 35 lbs from goal but have the exact same problem areas.

Sent from my SM-N910P using BariatricPal

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1455490873.573134.jpg

Please share how your consult goes including price. I am still about 35 lbs from goal but have the exact same problem areas.

Sent from my SM-N910P using BariatricPal

I posted this on another one but forgot to update here:

I had my consultation with the plastic surgeon today. The first thing Dr. Weiss said after I told him I've lost 130 lbs. is, "Well you look great!" And I laughed and said, "Well yeah, with my clothes on!" He asked what my biggest concerns were and I told him stomach, boobs and side boobs (that bit that spills over the top sides of my bra).

After I got undressed he was impressed with the amount of excess skin I had. It was funny sitting there and him gathering and poking to see how much is skin. The good news is he said I can get away with an extended tummy tuck, I won't need a body lift (whew!). He said he should be able to remove nearly all of the loose skin, including my stretch marks on my stomach. He showed me where he would cut and I could not believe how high up he would be able to go. He said I should end up with a nearly flat stomach and he and his assistant said I have a very nice body shape/build because I'm a natural hourglass and under my loose skin is a small waist so I will avoid looking boxy like most tummy tuck patients.

He said there is quite a bit of loose skin in the breasts and showed me where the nipple should go. Again, I was surprised. We are talking about six inches or so. He also said I really REALLY need implants because I have zero upper breast. I'm basically pectoral muscles and then breasts below that. He wants to remove all the loose skin, some of my existing breast tissue and then put implants at the top where I'm completely lacking anything. Without them I can get a lift but will end up with the man boob look I'm dreading so much. Right now I'm a 36DDD and I told him I'd like to end up a 34DD. He also said he can easily fix the side boob issue with expanding the lower incision line.

I asked him about my back rolls and he said they are all loose skin. He basically said there is nothing to Lipo. I'm just skin! Which blows my mind because I still feel so fat when I look in the mirror. But he said that could be fixed later down the road if I decide to do any other surgeries.

He said there is an increased bleeding risk when there has been extreme weight loss which is defined as losing more than 60 lbs. However, he has never had to give anyone a transfusion and he is very confident I will have no issues since I've never smoked and my skin is in great condition. He does want me to have a CBC done to make sure I haven't developed anemia from bariatric surgery.

He said I could probably return to work after a few weeks if I'm sitting but I still plan on taking at least three, if not four. I can begin light cardio like walking after four weeks but no high impact exercise or lifting for many months. Also, no resistance exercise for many months although I can use my own body weight.

It will cost $8,150 for tummy tuck only or $15,310 for tummy tuck and breasts. He offered to repair the side boobs for free. The cost includes all post-op care and if I'm not happy with my results he will do a free revision. He said, "If you're not happy with the results, I'm not going to be happy with the results."

Now on to the mental/psychological part of this. I had a bit of a meltdown on the ride home. Part of it was because I made the mistake of listening to "Reflection" on the way home and started bawling. "Who is that girl I see, staring straight back at me? When will my reflection show who I am inside?" So I did a lot of thinking. On one hand, I feel selfish for spending $15,000 on myself. I don't feel like I deserve it. I don't know why I feel that way. I also don't know why I feel so weird about implants. I've always had very large breasts. But I've always kind of thought of women who got implants as phonies trying to be something they aren't. Just accept your natural body! But now I'm trying to replace what I've always had. And now I'm becoming more understanding towards those who want/need plastic surgery. On the other hand, when I see myself in the mirror I can see my potential but I feel like I'll never feel complete until this excess skin is gone. I really want to finish my marathon and get the medal at the end, my new body.

Just talked to my surgeon, (two week post op) knowing my lower belly will not snap back (3 kids saw to that) I'm going to rock my plan because they will do surgical skin removal for 5,000. I was self pay because insurance does not cover SWL. They won't cover skin removal either. $5,000 is nothing compared to other places. See if your surgeon has a deal. [emoji4] good luck.

I'm only half way to my weight loss goal, but my arms are so saggy! My arms hang so low. It's horrible. I have only one breast, due to breast cancer mastectomy, but my one existing breast is very saggy! It's hanging almost down to my belly button! I don't have money for plastic surgery, so I'll have to live with this. It's not attractive, but I know I'll be healthier without all that weight. Don't even want to discuss my hair loss! I'm turning into a saggy, wrinkled, bald headed, 58 yr old woman, that is no longer obese! LOL That's me.

I was lucky no saggy skin. I've lost 67 lbs. I am 53 and was overweight for about 6 to 7 years. My highest weight was 211 and I am 5'2".

Edited by rln52