Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s Your Approach to Holiday Weight Loss?

It’s no secret. The holidays are tough when you’re trying to lose weight or maintain weight loss! There’s more food, and often less time to exercise.

Some people try to power through and keep their same routine and goals as the rest of the year. Some people figure they’ll get back on track after New Year’s. Others try to compromise with a middle route – maybe having a goal of maintaining instead of losing, or allowing themselves an extra cheat day every so often.

What is your attitude toward weight loss during the holidays? What are your strategies for sticking to the plan or getting back on track?

Thanksgiving was my first real "food-focused" holiday so I was able to start putting into practice what I planned. I did this for the 4th of July and other celebrations, too.

Protein first, recording my food, and meeting Protein and Fluid goals are non-negotiable.

After that I didn't completely restrict my eating. I ate turkey. I had small portions of things I really love. I had a tablespoon each of dressing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. I even had a small slice of pumpkin pie. I ate slowly and the enjoyed the conversation.

The day after I even had a 'Smore around the fire pit. That was great because I hadn't had one in years because I was "dieting".

Even indulging, my calories stayed pretty low because I had Premier Protein, Greek yogurt and cheese sticks on hand.

the holidays are not a big deal. My life no longer revolves around food and I don't spend much time thinking about food anymore. So I don't dread the holidays or worry about them. Anyway, for me the holidays are only two days, thanksgiving, and christmas so it's just two meals...no big deal.

My approach is to acknowledge this is tough, since I am in maintenance..I just dont want to gain. I came out of this weekend eating and drinking overdose with no gain, but I will eat lightly this week to restore balance to my calorie universe! I think the most important thing is to weigh every Monday, even if I don't want to.

I'm preop, but I have for years managed to lose weight (even if it's just a couple pounds) over the Holidays. I let myself become a very picky eater. There are soooooo many choices during the holidays. I let myself discard out of hand all but the best of those choices, and by "best" I don't mean necessarily the "right" choices. If I'm going to enjoy something only once a year, it had better be worth it, you know? I go to a party, anything that came out of a package or a box or a supermarket bakery is rejected out of hand, not worth my notice.

I've pretty much lost my taste for sweets over the past year. I made two big dinners over two days this weekend. I didn't have pie for dessert either day - I saved mine for Breakfast the next day. Having pie for Breakfast is something I look forward to all year. Will I do this next year when I'm 10-11 months out? Likely not. I'll find something delightful to look forward to - like the mushrooms, stuffed with sausage and cheese. They weren't huge, just two bites. They were fantastic. And they're so good that our co-host pretty much has to make them next year or face a revolt. Score!

I am pre-op as well and my approach to the holiday is always Protein first then my favorite which is the stuffing and rolls and then pie this will be my last holiday season pre sleeve so I didn't go overboard and I lost a pound

Thanks for sharing! I agree with your takes! Definitely life and the holidays are less about food and more about people post-op compared to pre-op like Sophie74656 said, and jane13 said it – “moderation!” Cowgirljane, my approach is similar to yours – I also try to eat lightly if I overdid it or know I’m going to overdo it for a meal or a day.

2goldengirl, that’s a really smart strategy. It gives you your pleasure but puts limits on quantity. I also love that it puts you in control because you get to decide what’s worthy of being eaten.

Cancer91vsg…great job losing weight during the holidays! Not many people do.