Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months post op, 72 lbs down, food/life adjustments

The view from this much post op is interesting. Life has gone on, and I've adjusted and accepted the life changes that resulted from VSG without much thought anymore. I go to restaurants and eat smartish, but am not overly crazy about monitoring anymore. I know that I cannot eat large portions of anything without it coming back up, so I know that my calorie input pretty much manages itself. My wife and family also no longer see my food intake as unusual, its just a facet of my life, like being left handed or something.

After the dizzying drop in weight of the first two months, I am losing slowly, maybe 2-3 lbs a week, and it comes off again without much thought or notice. Frankly, I just feel like a normal person who gets some exercise and watches not to over eat. It works for me.

So the upshot is I pretty much feel "normal" as opposed to feeling like an overweight person striving for normal.

It seemed like a momentous decision at the time, doesn't seem like such a gargantuan ordeal now. Still, best thing I ever did.

Good luck everyone!

Congrats on the weight loss and the attitude! At ten weeks, I have also seen the weight loss slow from drastic to steady. My family is OK with the smaller amounts of food and using small plates, but I still can't get used to seeing so little on my plate. I hope I get where you are!!!!

Ah to be 'normal'... sounds a good place to be!!

Congratulations, you have done amazingly well :)

Wow, great job. I hope I am as successful. Thanks.

Wow... we are about the same amount of time out from surgery, close to the same number of pounds down... but you sound much more relaxed than I am!

I'm very Type-A, and I log every single thing that goes into my mouth and have done so since a couple months before surgery. I would be completely terrified to not keep track. I try to be super-careful to keep my calories under 800--on the 3 or 4 occasions where things got away from me and I forgot to log a packet of Splenda or a couple tablespoons of milk in my coffee and I went over by a few calories, I spent the next few days worried that I was on my way to screwing it all up.

Wish I could have your attitude! I don't know that I'll ever feel like a "normal" person, I may always feel like a fat girl trying to "pass."

The fact that it is such a non deal is wonderful to hear. I've always wanted to be normal in relation to food portions and never ending hunger. Even at just two months out it's refreshing to finally be off that insatiable appetite merry-go-round. Everyday I feel more normal too and I love it! Thanks for your story!

Love that: "I feel like a fat girl trying to pass."

I recognize that feeling.

(Nobody knows who I really am!)

We're on the same boat, i'm happy too. 4 months sleeved and 74 lb down. I have stalls but I know its normal and I dont stress over it becuase I know the process is different for everyone and weight will continue to come off. I have my confidence back and I'm just trying to keep up with fitting into all my old cloths. It seems like each month I bring out the box and I get to pull out old cloths (pre kids). Life is good and I cant complain. keep up the good work sleevers! My first goal is 199, then i can set my second goal. The only issues i've had issome hair loss (thank god i had a lot of hair pre sleeve), i think low blood pressure (normal for sleevers due to weight loss), and Constipation. Still not complaining just sharing. Have a good day ya'll

@@bvenegas What does your tipical day look like as far as food and exercised? Do you count calories?

Thank you so much for posting! I am only 6 weeks out, but I'm already starting to feel that way. I can eat out with my sweetie at our regular places, but I just eat much smaller portions that are mostly meat. (Like, for my birthday, we had Indian food: I had two small pieces of chicken tikka masala and some paneer (cheese) from mattar paneer.) I can feel myself just gradually becoming a person who just is more active and eats smaller meals.

@trialatty My experience is very similar to yours. At almost 6 months post-op, I hardly think about the sleeve anymore. I get on the scale once in awhile, just to see what is happening. Sometimes it hasn't moved, other times I am down about 5-6 lbs. At this point, I don't really care as my eating is under control, and that was what was keeping me fat to begin with. I don't count calories at all. I DO follow the Protein first, veggies, carbs rule. If I really want some bread at a restaurant, I grab a piece and just pull off a corner and enjoy that one little piece and let the rest sit there. If I get in the mood to "pig" out at night, I usually mix a little PB2 chocolate and milk, and that consistency usually does the trick. I travel a lot for work, and get a lot of "is that all you want" from the wait staff, but I just say "yes, that's it, unless you are buying me more!", gets me a chuckle and they move off. I will eat 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, and sliced tomatoes as my go to travel meal. I drink a beer or 2 once in awhile if I am in a social setting. My life has just changed for the better as I am not dragging around an extra 116 lbs. My sleeve reset my body and my mind. It is the new normal.

3 weeks post op and 40 lbs down. Feeling great. No more sweet tooth cravings and in fact not too impressed with anything sweet. Looking at joining a health and fitness center today to get more structured work outs instead of just walking everyday Keep up the good work all!

Happy Halloween yall! Happy to be able to buy a size large costume. I was looking for xl but they didn't have any, but it fit :)

post-245734-14464403607052_thumb.jpg

@@bvenegas What does your tipical day look like as far as food and exercised? Do you count calories?

I start my mornings with a cup of coffee and premier Protein shake from costco (30/20/30 rule of corse). Maybe snack in between of hand full of peanuts and a turkey patty for lunch. Maybe another snack of peanuts before dinner and for dinner whatever I make for the family minus the carbs. So if I make spaghetti with meatballs just meatballs with sauce and cheese. A snack at night of a slice of ham as 1/2 slice of cheese.