Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panniculectomy Thursday 9/24 - TERRIFIED

Hey all, I'm going to try to make this short (for full story, stalk my posts or something). I am scheduled for a panniculectomy Thursday and I am absolutely terrified. I was around 240 and my lowest was 160, now I'm back up to 185 (age 28, 5'1) and my panni gets rashes under it etc so insurance is paying to remove it.

I'm scared. I've read countless blogs, posts etc on how much pain people have with this surgery. I have a very difficult time taking pain medication because it seems to make me sick. I also only get 1.5 weeks off from work (paralegal, desk job).

Please please, if anyone has this done, please let me know how it went for you.

​Hope it goes well! FYI, try taking half a dose of pain med if the whole dose makes you sick. Sometimes that works for me.

I don't know why there is so much variation in pain. I had ALOT of plastics lower body lift, including muscle repair, arm lift, breast lift/implant. First 3 days in the clinic I was heavily medicated, after that I really didn't need anything stronger than tylonol.

I hear some people talk about horrible pain, but many mirror my experience - pain wasn't the main issue. For me it was tiredness and length of time of low activity required for recovery from my very extensive surgery.

I know it is easy to focus on the fear, but if you focus on the benefits, maybe it makes it easier. Pretty soon it will be a distant memory. Hang in there!

My Tummy Tuck was a pretty painful experience but I also have issues with pain medicine. So most of the issues I had were because I was violently vomiting (and using those newly tightened ab muscles) all the time. If it weren't my reaction to the pain meds, I probably wouldn't have thought it too bad.

Go through with it though, pain is temporary and it's not unbearable. You'll feel so much better.

I'm with @@CowgirlJane I had Tummy Tuck w muscle repair, brachioplasty and breast lift with augmentation at the same time and the pain was NOT unmanageable at all. I was sore, sure, but more tired than anything. After a couple days was down to Tylenol.

I have had many surgeries and The Tummy Tuck (No muscle repair) was not painful at all - Just the feeling of being pulled forwards for maybe a week - So I really hope you have an easy time after your op

A poster here said to me 5yrs ago ''Eyes on the prize'' and I carried those words with me all the way thorough - Those few words helped me to keep my focus - I told my son to say them to me if I ever had a wavering moment of fear pre-op etc It really helped and I will always be grateful for those words....

I do hope all goes well for you and that you keep your eyes firmly on the prize that will be the new you!

I get mine done on the 28th. My surgeon told me I would not be in that much pain. I hope your surgery goes well

I had a VSG 11 weeks ago. I went into this thinking I would get plastics at the end. But I do not like the tiredness, weakness, and activity limitations of surgery. I also get sick off pain meds and I did not take even one single dose of opiates from the moment I woke up from surgery. They strictly gave me IV tylenol and some other iv nsaid because I refused all opiates (even during the hospital stay). I have only lost about 50 lbs thus far, but am wondering from @@CowgirlJane, can you compare what the recovery was like from all those surgeries (I assume that you had more than one at a time). I am 45 years old and have pretty good skin for someone my age, but honestly I was already having a little sag in my tummy (FUPA) and boobs even before the weight loss. But the skin on my face is nearly flawless. This is the first year I have ever noticed crows feet and most of my friends started getting them in their 30s. Also wondering if anyone tried Fraxel Repair or Thermage on their tummy prior to panny or Tummy Tuck?

In answer to your question - recovery from plastics vs VSG were completely different experiences. After sleeve surgery, it was the difficulty getting Water in, the fatigue from mild dehydration, the difficulty transitioning to solid foods, the digestive issues the first few weeks... all temporary but not easy either!

Flip side, in terms of raw healing, the sleeve was an easier procedure. i took 3 weeks off from work for sleeve and probably could have gone back sooner.

Post plastics, it was 3 weeks before I was allowed to drive. I took 6 weeks off from work! Part of the reason is to minimize tension on incisions to improve scar appearance, but even so - plastics be no joke of a surgery! some people lose weight because their body burns so many calories healing from plastics! In my case, my appetite went through the roof and I had to work very hard to eat super healthy and just maintain even though I was eating alot more than normal for several weeks postplastics.

In answer to the question you didn't ask - don't worry about any of this right now. In my opinion, there is a time to focus on losing weight/changing lifestyle/planning for maintenance and there is a time to be investigating and putting mental focus on plastics etc. None of us have any idea how things will work out, how we will feel about our excess skin etc until we get there. I believe focusing on fitness, weight loss, good overall health prepares you for whatever next step you decide to take - or not take! I see no evidence (that includes following plastic surgery and this forum) that any of the wraps, lotions, or dancing under the moonlight prevents excess skin but if you find a product that has some evidence it may help, why not try it? I go back to high levels of fitness and good health being the best thing to do.

I had a VSG 11 weeks ago. I went into this thinking I would get plastics at the end. But I do not like the tiredness, weakness, and activity limitations of surgery. I also get sick off pain meds and I did not take even one single dose of opiates from the moment I woke up from surgery. They strictly gave me IV tylenol and some other iv nsaid because I refused all opiates (even during the hospital stay). I have only lost about 50 lbs thus far, but am wondering from @@CowgirlJane, can you compare what the recovery was like from all those surgeries (I assume that you had more than one at a time). I am 45 years old and have pretty good skin for someone my age, but honestly I was already having a little sag in my tummy (FUPA) and boobs even before the weight loss. But the skin on my face is nearly flawless. This is the first year I have ever noticed crows feet and most of my friends started getting them in their 30s. Also wondering if anyone tried Fraxel Repair or Thermage on their tummy prior to panny or Tummy Tuck?

I DID IT. I really don't want to have to type it all again, but I posted it to my blog. I AM SO SO HAPPY YOU GUYS!

https://phatchances.wordpress.com/