Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Family Emergency Making Things Difficult

Unfortunately our family was thrown into the midst of an emergency last night. The nerves & anxiety is wreaking havoc on my system. I cannot eat without everything coming back up or getting stuck, and drinking is very slow going today too. I have only managed to get about 25g of Protein (if it stayed down) and close to 40oz of Fluid. I am kind of afraid of dehydration.

I am 3 1/2 months post-op & haven't had any side effects until now. I know it is a result of what is going on, but not sure it will be resolved in the next few days.

Anyone with similar situations? Do you recommend I keep pushing the fluids over foods?

If eating is making you sick, then yes, you should stick with fluids, including Protein. Try hard to get in at least 60 ounces of Protein and 64 ounces of Water.

I hope that your personal situation improves really soon.

If you don't mind sharing, what's wrong? Let us support you!

I would focus on liquids for now, with the added Protein, of course. Sending positive thoughts and prayers from Kansas City.

Definitely liquids including Protein if at all possible but most importantly do not dehydrate. I have a stricture they just found and wasn't able to keep food or protein down. They were more worried about Fluid and sent me to ER to get fluids so that I didn't dehydrate. I am almost 3 months out and without my protein I survived but am definitely hungry and weak. They dilated the stricture and told me to stickbwoth liquids for a week including 2 to 3 Protein Drinks so in short they worry about both. Do you have a therapist you can call that might help to talk through your situation? I hope it resolves quickly. Do your best Ronstadt healthy so you can get to the other side of your situation.

Unfortunately our family was thrown into the midst of an emergency last night. The nerves & anxiety is wreaking havoc on my system. I cannot eat without everything coming back up or getting stuck, and drinking is very slow going today too. I have only managed to get about 25g of Protein (if it stayed down) and close to 40oz of Fluid. I am kind of afraid of dehydration.

I am 3 1/2 months post-op & haven't had any side effects until now. I know it is a result of what is going on, but not sure it will be resolved in the next few days.

Anyone with similar situations? Do you recommend I keep pushing the fluids over foods?

So over the last few years my family had many many health emergencies. I gained a ton of weight. I urge you to take care of yourself during this hard time. I know it is hard in the middle of it but I am paying the price fully now. Good luck and I hope everything works out.

Thanks all. This morning is only slightly better. Every sip is a fight to go down, but I am trying to push the Protein drinks to get both fluids & protein into me. I didn't sleep well either so I know that is not helping. I know in my head what I should be doing, but I really needed to hear it from someone else.

I can relate. Hubby was diagnosed with cancer two months after my VSG.

In my case controlling my food / drink was the only thing I felt I could control, and doing so gave me the only peace I felt for the next 3 months until I finally accepted that "we" had cancer.

Yes, in your shoes I'd drink Protein drinks -- offers both Protein and hydration. Those are especially useful if you're having to be away from home, e.g., at hospital or elsewhere, because of your family disruptions and emergencies.

Finally -- here's my biggest advice. Now, perhaps for the first time in your life, take care of yourself first. That doesn't mean you don't have to fulfill your obligations to others in your life. But take care of yourself first. That's a big reason many of us got so unhealthy in the first place -- we didn't think we were as worthy as others for whom we care.

I hope your situation eases. Just take it one day at a time. That's all you can do anyway. And control what you can control. And let go the stuff you can't control. Sounds simple. It's not. But it works.