Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Banders: Adjustments and Whether You Plan to Keep Your Band Filled

A selling point for the adjustable gastric band is…it’s adjustable. Changing the fill level changes the amount of restriction you feel. This is supposed to let each individual find the right amount of restriction for him or her to lose weight safely and comfortably. It’s also supposed to let people adjust for life events, such as loosening the band for pregnancy, when you get the stomach flu or something else that is making you vomit a lot, or for traveling.

I’m wondering how often you actually take advantage of the adjustability of the lap-band. Since your initial fill and maybe a few adjustments in the first few months after getting the band, have you gotten it adjusted much? For which reasons? Is there anything holding you back from getting it adjusted more often? Which stage of your weight loss surgery journey are you in?

Also, I have another question. Do you plan to keep your band filled when you get to goal weight (or do you have it filled still, if you’re at maintenance)? If you’re going to get it unfilled, when? When you hit goal? Before? After?

Hmmm... what an interesting question, Alex! As a relatively new bandster (8 months post-surgical this month) i have had the band adjusted in tiny increments tighter, certainly not looser.

I've heard about people de-filling their bands prior to flying. I'm curious about that as I tend to swell up on long flights. A few years ago I flew Toronto --> Hong Kong --> Thailand (22 hours non stop) and experienced swelling of legs, arms, sinuses... last year flew Toronto --> Vancouver and blew up like a balloon - I had tender, painful "cankles' for 3 days. I'm scared to imagine what a flight will do to my band, thereby impacting my ability to eat normally, or at least swallow fluids!

That said, if we did have a trip coming up, I'd be hesitant to get a de-fill as it's taken me 8 months to finally hit the green zone... to deliberately un-do that is (almost) unthinkable.

I'm curious to hear from others out there who have had the experience of adjusting your band down... then up again.

I'm still getting fills. I can't imagine unfilling at goal.

I'm 4 months post op and I just started getting fill little by lil. My band is the smallest one so I'm getting 0.5 cc every 2 weeks now. I have a total of 1.5 fill. I'm doing this very slow

I was obese because I could not control my eating....I ate like a machine, as though I was trying to win a contest.

Lap band surgery, a few adjustments (fills) to find that sweet spot (green Zone)

I now eat like a normal person, I do not follow any particular diets, do not count calories or carbs although some foods are obviously crazy high stupid and should be avoided by all people, WLS or not...and in doing so my weight came off, surpassed any goals I set for myself, and settled out at a place that is a direct correlation to my new lifestyle, which is eating normal again and being active for health reasons.

This is permanent, I do not want anything to change, will not get Fluid taken out for that would put me back into that abnormal lifestyle.

I don't believe in maintenance...been there with crash diets where after loosing weight you slowly re-enter a normal lifestyle.

I enjoy eating the things I like, drink the things I want, go to parties, family get together s,nice resturants .....live day by day as any other routine day......have absolutely no side effects......occasionally I will take too large a swallow or something that is too harsh for the band, and I will be reminded right away I am stepping out of bounds...the band is always there, like a watchdog.

The majority of the time I don't even think about having WLS...

For me, it is similar as someone who has had total knee or total hip surgery...you have a problem, and have surgery to correct it....followed by a year of rehab and learning how to get on with your life, and eventually start running 5K's again.

Why would I want anything to change? Why would I want to undo what was accomplished??

Would I want my dentist to remove my caps in a few years? Ophthalmologist tell me I can stop wearing contacts because it's been years now?

Maybe my cardiologist can undo the surgery he did on my heart a few years ago because I am doing so well and healthy right now....

I had a problem, had surgery to correct it, and now will live the rest of my life having that problem fixed.

Everybody has a different belief and approach to WLS, and I respect that....I don't expect people to do things simply because I do......It's all about loosing weight and getting your life back.....and THAT is the point to it all.

And of course, my Dr. will someday suggest something I am not considering....but until that day, if it ever comes......

I am some one who needed several fills to achieve the green zone. Twice I've had small unfills and the pattern was very similar. I'd had a fill, lived with it for a bit and realized I needed an adjustment in reverse. The surgeon did not remove the whole amount of the recent fill but just a bit and that worked well for a time. But then weeks later I began to notice an increase in the amount I was eating as well as feeling hungry again too soon, so I went back to have another small fill. I think I will always need to make small adjustments here and there but maybe not. I do have an inflammatory profile -- arthritis, etc., and I think hormones play a role as well. And the weather. I dont' think I keep a super-tight band -- I'm able to glug my Water most of the time (not always). I still have to be very mindful eating. The other day I gobbled fresh mozzerella and almost got stuck. Almost two years out but fifty previous years of speed-eating. I am quite sure I would not have my band emptied under any circumstances. So long as I can drink Water I don't mind if I have to have a day or two off from eating during a period of travel. That would actually be really good for me.

My husband and I are a couple that take advantage of the fact that the band is "adjustable". I love the fact that I am able to adjust the band to fit my life style.

For an example, last year when my husband required hip replacement surgery he was able to un-fill his band enough to allow him to eat the amount of food and nutrition that he needed to help his body heal. When your band is at a certain restriction you may know that there are certain food intolerance that you might experience with fruits and vegetable and when you are recovering from major surgery it's good to be able to get those in without worrying about that and being banded he was able to relax his band during that time and concentrate on healing.

The same has been true for myself. When I was sick with severe flu, I was able to relax my band to allow my body to eliminate the extra Fluid and mucus that my body was battling with. I have had to have several invasive tests and have had periods of high intensity stress that relaxing my band helped me to process and recover more quickly from.

On the flip side going back to the Dr. once things are in balance I and my husband are able to add Fluid back into the band to achieve that level of restriction where our food intake is lower due to lack of hunger and craving, and our weight loss continues.

During the times when we have had our bands relaxed I can say that the most weight gained was about 2 pounds maybe 5 for hubby after hip replacement surgery but mostly due to IV fluids he lost that with in a week after discharge from the hospital.

Slow and steady for us....the goal is at the end and today it's all about the journey.

Thanks for the answers! Yes, it’s definitely an issue that the others (bypass patients, sleevers) don’t have to think about…but also don’t get to think about.

TheProfessor, good questions to raise about travel! Those airplanes can really hit people hard, and then there’s always the chance, although it’s a tiny chance, that you could get sick while abroad and need an unfill. Whether or not you get your band loosened for a trip, don’t forget it’s almost always possible to find healthy options, even if it means going to a supermarket instead of a restaurant. And it’s ALWAYS possible to eat smaller portions. :)

For those who wouldn’t even think about unfilling…I get what you’re saying! We got the band for a reason, and I can completely understand wanting to stick with it.

Lisacaron, lots of good points, and you are of course a great example.

I had my band unfilled for a few years, but have recently filled it a bit to stop that creeping regain while it’s still under control. I love having the flexibility of how tight to make the band.