Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 times 10 does not equal 70!

Okay, stick with me here, there's going to be some math. :o

According to the nutrition guide from my surgeon:

1. at my height my Protein goal is 64-70 grams per day.

2. you can only eat three meals per day.

3. most Protein sources that they list as "good" contain 7 to 10 grams of protein per serving (except tofu, which is 20).

4. most of the serving sizes are 1/2 cup.

5. at six months, they expect you will be eating 1/2 cup of food at each meal.

6. protein supplements are discouraged.

7. they don't expect you to hit your protein goal until you are out of the liquid stage.

So, with all that, 7 to 10 grams of protein per serving times three meals per day is 21 to 30 grams of protein, not 70.

What am I missing? My pre-op is on Tuesday, so I will be bringing this up then. I figured I would ask here first in case there was something glaringly obvious.

Are you suppose to have Protein in every meal, like including between meals also like just liquid....if so that might be it? 3 meals 3-4 drink periods between = 60-70g if u have 10g everytime.

I drink Protein Drinks daily. I follow most all rules but they can SUCK it when it comes to that! I will drink them and they will deal with it. I'm doing just fine!

My Dr. has his patients drinking Protein shakes daily for a year after surgery. That way you're sure to get enough Protein. Your body needs it to heal and it keeps you full. I'm still in the mushy stage but with the shakes and 2 meals, I rarely get hungry. I'm supposed to be having 3 meals but can never get the third one in.

I drink Protein drinks daily. I follow most all rules but they can SUCK it when it comes to that! I will drink them and they will deal with it. I'm doing just fine!

I love your style!

Yeah your math is fine and it's why I still drink Protein Shakes over a year and a half out and well into maintenance

My Protein goal is 100 grams a day so with no more than 20-25 grams per meal, I definitely have to have more than three meals a day.

With meals and Snacks, I still need to supplement with a Protein shake on some days.

I also wondered about that as my Dr says 3 meals a day and NO SNACKING. So how do I get to the required Protein he wants me to have after surgery once I am allowed to eat again. I guess do what Elode does! So a Protein shake is not considered a meal after you start eating food again?

As much as it pains me, I'm with @Elode :D

The bulk of my Protein comes from shakes...

I do at least three, usually four, each day...

Of course, I'm no doctor of stuff...

But it seems to be working for me...

And it's a hell of a lot easier on me than trying to digest meat!!!

That's the thing Amanda, if it's enough calories for a meal, then it's a meal!

Now I'm 3 1/2 months out, I've lost 90 pounds, and my hair isn't falling out. I don't drink Protein shakes. For Breakfast I have either a greek yogurt, a homemade smoothie (frozen blueberries, lactaid milk, greek yogurt, splash of sugar-free vanilla Syrup, ice), or one scrambled egg with cheese.

For lunch, I have dinner leftovers.

For dinner, I have about 1/3 cup of meat. Tonight it was "puffy chicken" (chicken breast baked with a mixture of mayo and parmesan cheese on top). Yesterday it was pork chops, the day before that it was meatloaf. I usually also have about 3 bites of vegetables.

After dinner I have a sugar-free popsicle.

My labs right now are fabulous, I have energy and I feel great. I have a feeling that may change at some point, and then I plan to add in Protein Shakes.

Are they allowing protien bars?

Do they allow planned Snacks? You might be able to hit those goals with 2 Snacks a day but I can't see how to do this without snacks or at least 1 shake a day.

Do they consider powdered milk a supplement? (seriously another poster said their doc didn't allow supplements, but powdered milk was okay. That's splitting hairs to me, but whatev)

I've been told to add powdered milk to meal. My doctor hasn't said anything not using Protein Shakes but I'm just about to start my fourth week. Speaking of Protein shakes, I was using this one brand before surgery and now I can't stand it. Anyone have any recommendations of different brands of protein?

I am doing two shakes per day. Without them, I would never meet my Protein goals. At 3 months post op, I can't eat enough to get to goal.

Edited by shellyd67

I've been told to add powdered milk to meal. My doctor hasn't said anything not using Protein Shakes but I'm just about to start my fourth week. Speaking of Protein shakes, I was using this one brand before surgery and now I can't stand it. Anyone have any recommendations of different brands of protein?

maybe try the Syntrax Nectar mix, many flavors less of a shake and more of crystal lite drink.

I'm just six days out and my Dr has us eat 3 small meals, fat free cream Soup, sugar free pudding, yogurt, cream of wheat in the amount of 1/4 cup. Between each meal we are to have a Protein Shake. I haven't been real good with the shakes but have mixed one with ice and it seems to be going down better. I can't imagine you understand the materials correctly. Good luck!