Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CPAP Machine. I have no love for it.

Since I vowed to try and give my CPAP machine a fair chance this time, I am back on it. (The first time I had it, I never used it. I just couldn't get it together. It stressed me out so i didn't use it) Now... my pressure has been lowered from 16 to 12. This pressure is a lot better than it was but I still can't seem to adjust. I am a light sleeper. Have always been so i don't sleep hard or sleep long. The CPAP machine just makes it worse. I can fall asleep with it on but if I wake up in the middle of the night, it keeps me awake. Plus it fills me up with gas. WTH!! Everyone I know that has the machine, loves it and swears by it. What am I doing wrong? Is anyone else having a hard time adjusting to their machine? Any tips or suggestions?

Edited by Essence46

i need help too.

You need the new respironics auto adjusting machine. No set pressure. The pressure auto adjusts all night based on your needs which will be great as you lose weight!!

Yes, I feel so much better since I finally surrendered to wearing the machine. I do have the adjustable respironics machine and I use the nasal pillow mask (which is the first one I have been able to tolerate). A couple of suggestions that worked for me are that I use nose spray (flonase) each night before I put on the mask and I take 2 benadryl. When I first got the machine I actually would take a xanex at night because it made me so anxious. But I don't need that anymore I only use the nose spray and flonase. I sleep like a baby. I hope this helps.

@@NewMeLinZ, thanks for the suggestion. Even though I didn't ask the question, your answer has helped me too. I have an appointment next month & will ask about that.

To the op, I personally adjusted within two weeks. I did have to switch from the mask to the nose pillows & it made a big difference. I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Yeah I feel your pain.I hate mine. The only days I have used it was when I was forced to in the hospital right after surgery. I. Tried right after surgery and it caused me pain in my chest so I quit and haven't used it since. I realize this isn't good but it's just my reality

The adjustable machine is great. I don't know what kind of mask you use, but I have the nasal pillows -they allowed me to tolerate CPAP. Since surgery, I have a wedge shaped incline pillow (keeps your head up and at an angle) - I believe it has helped me with sleep apnea in addition to just general surgery recovery. Good luck to you.

Definitely look into an APAP (the automatic machines everyone is suggesting). No need to adjust the pressure.

Since my surgery, I've been able to get off my machine. My husband said my snoring is very rare now and I'm breathing all night. I may talk to my doctor to get another sleep test just to make sure. But for now, I'm enjoying not wearing it!

An autopap machine is easier. I use the nasal pillows too and find them more tolerable than anything else. They are less restrictive. I have never used it but I know my machine has a setting called "ramp" that gradually leads up to the pressure you need. Make sure you communicate with your equipment provider. They may be able to help adjust at settings or try different masks u till you are more comfortable. Don't give up! Just think maybe some day you can los enough to ditch the thing!

I was miserable at first as well and couldn't figure out why everyone loved their machines so much. I vowed to use it 30 days before I gave up and used melatonin to help fall asleep.

I would wake up in the beginning around 2am without fail cut the machine off then go back to sleep. Finally I slept longer and longer and now I don't want to be without it.

I use the the nose mask because the pillows sent too much air up my nose at a time but others love them.

So vBulletin dont give up. Keep tryin. I hope it works out for you.

I admit it, I am a hosehead. :-)

I love my CPAP now, but boy, so not at first.

We fought and struggled, I didn't like the constant hard pressure blowing, so now I have one that blows air, but when you breath out, it backs off a bit, making it easier for me. I don't feel like I am fighting it as much. I tried a nasal mask only, that didn't stay put well enough for me to get any use, it kept slipping off my face. Tried the nasal pillows, but I didn't like the feeling of something up my nose, not to mention that they stated that since I tend to sleep with my mouth open, might not be a good option. Now, I wear a nose to mouth full mask with a t-bar on my forehead. I usually have my humidity on because otherwise my nose tends to get a bit dry. I also tend to get hot when I sleep, so I tend to keep the temp to a cooler setting.

It goes with me when we travel (which my hubby isn't all that appreciative of sometimes), but we have found that we just seem to make it work. It has become part of my routine. In fact, now, I can't sleep without it. I like the feeling of the cool air blowing on my face and the fact that I sleep. I mean, I sleep really well, and seem to have more energy then I have had in years.

Couple this with the upcoming VSG and I am sure that I will be zooming along even faster.

I've had a CPAP since 2008. It has totally improved my sleeping and my life. I can live without it! I had sleeve surgery last week and the doctors are saying I, eventually, will no longer need it. I can't imagine not needing it!!

Any suggestions of what to do for nasal pillows that irritate and rub your nose? I always end up pulling it off during the night!