Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High BMI and choosing the right procedure

Does anyone here have a high BMI? Mine is 50 currently. Just wondering how yoir procedure went? Also, my doctor preferred me to get the bypass, but I chose the sleeve. Is the weight loss really that much significantly less with the sleeve?

I have a high BMI and was sleeved April 20. I couldn't be happier with the ease of my recovery and my progress so far.

As far as I'm concerned, you need to choose the procedure that is best for you. I am convinced that RNY would not have been right for me. I also do not believe based on everything that I have learned that I will be less successful with the sleeve than if I had chosen bypass.

So far, the keys to success are getting enough Protein and Water, exercising, and following my surgeon and NUTs instructions.

I started out at a BMI of 55, and had the sleeve done about 7.5 months ago. Now I'm down to BMI 28 and it's still coming off. At this point (still fairly early in the journey) it seems to be all about compliance with the program. I exercise every day, mostly walking. I pay attention especially to Protein, Water, and Vitamins. I really didn't want to go with RNY because of the malabsorption and the more invasive procedure with the re-routing of intestines. I also had the same question that you did about which I should choose since I was starting out so big. I am really, really happy with my sleeve, and I think I'll make it to my ultimate goal of 140.

My BMI was 48 when I started the pre-surgery diet (at my peak, I was a little over 50).

Both procedures are effective. The Roux-en-Y (bypass) is a slightly more so with overall weight loss at the 2 year mark (the weight loss initially is faster, but the overall is only a little better). It is also more effective for people with diabetes and a few other comorbidities, based upon studies I read.

Also, if you have gastric issues, this may be the better choice.

I personally did not want my intestines rerouted and did not like malabsorption associated with the bypass procedure. From the studies I read, the small percentage of greater excess weight loss and improvements of comorbidities was not worth that for me, that is why I chose the sleeve. The flip side is that ~85% of my stomach had to be removed -there is no free lunch (pun intended). :)

Research both types extensively, consult with your surgeon & PCP to discuss YOUR medical history so the best choice is made for you.

My BMI was also very high, 55 at the beginning. I also was sleeved and am doing great with the weight loss. They say you lose weight more rapidly with bypass but we will all end up at the same place in the end if we stick to the plan. I haven't found yet that I am really losing slowly but it IS working so I am quite happy.

Do what is right for you!

Honestly? And I know sleevers are going to hate me for this, but....

I believe a bypass is best for those with a higher starting BMI. Weight loss is faster, and there is more information out there about long term success. From what I've seen from my own observation on these forums,(so take it with a grain of salt) people who've had the sleeve and start at a higher BMI struggle to get to their goal weight. You rarely see over 150 pounds lost with the sleeve. I'M NOT SAYING IT DOESN'T HAPPEN, but it's rare. And many gain weight just after a few years when they do. I tend to see more bypass patients getting to and maintaining goal weight more successfully, including my husband who had the bypass 9 years ago and has kept all but 20 pounds off.

I think the sleeve is more ideal for people starting at a lower BMI. Like I said, my own research, so take it with a grain of salt. But go to the bypass boards and then the sleeve boards and see for yourselves.

Honestly? And I know sleevers are going to hate me for this, but....

I believe a bypass is best for those with a higher starting BMI. Weight loss is faster, and there is more information out there about long term success. From what I've seen from my own observation on these forums,(so take it with a grain of salt) people who've had the sleeve and start at a higher BMI struggle to get to their goal weight. You rarely see over 150 pounds lost with the sleeve. I'M NOT SAYING IT DOESN'T HAPPEN, but it's rare. And many gain weight just after a few years when they do. I tend to see more bypass patients getting to and maintaining goal weight more successfully, including my husband who had the bypass 9 years ago and has kept all but 20 pounds off.

I think the sleeve is more ideal for people starting at a lower BMI. Like I said, my own research, so take it with a grain of salt. But go to the bypass boards and then the sleeve boards and see for yourselves.

I'm not a hater, have liked reading all your posts @@Babbs! I just hope that maybe, as most things, it's an individual thing. I started at a high BMI of 49.8 pre-op and was sleeved in late Sept. 2014 and I have followed the rules the best I could and exercised religiously. I've lost 97 pounds so far (current BMI is in the mid 30's now) and am continuing pretty consistently losing at between 5-7 pounds a month. I always knew my loss might be less with the sleeve than with a bypass, but all those "absorption changes" scared me off of that one.

Seems we all fear the possible regain...but I'm very happy with my progress so far. Happy with my sleeve! I suppose time will tell!

@@LovinSoul

Agree with you completely about it being an individual thing! I think if you have a sleever with the knowledge, will, and staying power to stick with it, weight loss will be successful and maintained!

I'm just gonna throw this out there, too. I think because the sleeve may take a little longer, I think some of us go through a little road weariness. Especially those who have more than 100+ pounds to lose, and it's taking a little longer. I think as time goes by, the determination found at first wanes a little, and maybe a few bad habits sneak back in, or complacency kicks in. IMO, I think that may be the reason we see some sleevers stall out at say 100-130lbs lost and never really get to goal. Or it could be genetics, also. My favorite bariatric doctor Dr. Weiner seems to think so. I dunno. I just tend to see it quite a bit. Anyone else agree?

I started out at 49 BMI and still chose the sleeve. The research made it seem very comparable to gastric bypass with fewer issues for someone like me, with no medical issues. I've had no difficulties with the sleeve. I can eat/drink anything (although I don't) and since I'm not making it public knowledge I had surgery, I liked the slower weight loss possibility. I've lost 75 lbs in less than four months still - halfway to goal! But I do think it's the individual who makes the surgery successful, not the sleeve or the bypass. My surgeon had done more than 3,000 sleeve surgeries and people have been sucessful, even with a high bmi. I have a friend getting the sleeve and he is 450 lbs (granted, he's also 6'7).

My starting bmi was 53, I chose bypass. I'll say I've seen many with equivalent bmi's be successful with the sleeve. I wanted bypass cause I didn't like the idea of having 1/2 my stomach removed... Seemed like if there were a complication, at least having it there (albeit unused) may give more options.

I see many saying rerouting intestines wasn't for them. I've known many who, without wls, needed bowel resection etc for a myriad of reasons. I figured why avoid something that I could get anyway for any number of reasons. But outside of cancer, you never hear about one's stomach being removed. Just the rationale I used in my head.

I happy with my complication free (so far) bypass.

Depends on the person. My BMI was really high. I think it was 69. So far I am pleased with my weight loss even though I knew choosing the sleeve meant a longer weight loss journey and that I would have to fight for continued weight loss after year 2. I just didn't feel that bypass was a good fit for me. As for the surgery itself, that couldn't have been any easier. I walked in recovery, and experienced none of the common issues like gas, Constipation or nausea.

@@Lexiluv2005

Just read through this site. It has a search tool to help you navigate through topics. Pretty much anything and everything you want to know.

I have a surgery date of August 26th, 2015. I am so excited, but nervous too. Can y'all give me some ideas of what to expect ? Thanks

I agree with @@Babbs, be sure and explore this site and if you still have questions start a new thread with your specific questions.