Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories intake Vs. Calorie outtake

I intake about 850 to 900 calories a day and I burn about 2000 to 2100 during cardio exercise not including what I burn during weightlifting. Can anyone tell me if I'm intaking enough to not send my body into starvation mode!

That is a lot of cardio per day, how many hours do you cardio?

That seems like a lot of exercise. At your current weight 287 pounds, that would be equivalent to approximately:

158 minutes of low impact aerobics, or

124 minutes of moderate bicycling, or

145 minutes of cross country hiking, or

145 minutes of vigorous weight lifting.

On the other side of the question, I am not too sure what you mean by starvation mode but I will assume you mean at what point the exercise vs. calorie intake might negatively affect your health. It is important to make sure you get enough Protein. In the losing phase it is critical to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. Meal intake is less important because your body is converting stored fats into the energy to drive your body (starvation mode). Thus you lose weight. If you fail to intake enough protein during this process, you will experience some signs, such as your hair falling out. It is possible to get so much into exercise that you might adversely affect your health, but the human body is fairly adaptable. I encountered one individual who picked up the bicycle riding enthusiasm after surgery. He competed in a bicycle race across the state of Indiana (160 miles). He crossed the finish line and then collapsed because of a lack of energy. After a little food and drink, he was back on his feet - no harm done.

I'm currently working out 2.5 hours doing cardio. 1Hour on treadmill were i burn about 1200 calories, then the elliptical for 1 hour burning 743 calories, and then 30 mins on the stationary bike burning 254 calories. I guess my question is with burning that amount of calories 6days a week, how many calories do i need to intake to keep my body lossing weight and not hit a stall. I guess you could say that magic number that healthy but still keeps the pounds coming off. Even getting in the Protein and Water, it like my body needs more, or I'll be tired. My trainer suggested increase my calories, so has anyone else dealt with this.

I'm currently working out 2.5 hours doing cardio. 1Hour on treadmill were i burn about 1200 calories, then the elliptical for 1 hour burning 743 calories, and then 30 mins on the stationary bike burning 254 calories. I guess my question is with burning that amount of calories 6days a week, how many calories do i need to intake to keep my body lossing weight and not hit a stall. I guess you could say that magic number that healthy but still keeps the pounds coming off. Even getting in the Protein and Water, it like my body needs more, or I'll be tired. My trainer suggested increase my calories, so has anyone else dealt with this.

I think you are doing an awesome job! Keep it up.

You should follow what your doctor and nutritionist says not the trainer.

I was eating 750 calories and burning 2,000 for the first 7 months. Now I'm eating 1,000 and burning 3,000 a day.

I was 280 at surgery date now I'm 180lbs it been 10 months. So you can do it! ????

I think you are doing an awesome job! Keep it up.

You should follow what your doctor and nutritionist says not the trainer.

I was eating 750 calories and burning 2,000 for the first 7 months. Now I'm eating 1,000 and burning 3,000 a day.

I was 280 at surgery date now I'm 180lbs it been 10 months. So you can do it!

That is some highly impressive work you two have been doing.

Much respect.

Funny how some folks just think this is a magic act. You two are getting there through a lot of hard work and discipline. Well done.

Thanks @@leanora27801

Wow, those are some crazy good numbers. I can spend an hour on both the treadmill and elliptical and only burn 1200 total. Please let me in on your secrets and keep up the good work!

Edited by Spiceyfrog

Wow, those are some crazy good numbers. I can spend an hour on both the treadmill and elliptical and only burn 1200 total. Please let me in on your secrets and keep up the good work!

On the treadmill I do an incline on 12-13, and my speed is 2.9-3.0 for an hour. I normally burn 1200. Then I get on the elliptical and i do the cardio workout and i burn 750-800 for an hour. If i don't hit 2000, then i do a few minutes on the stationary bike to hit my goal.

I am 8 months post op and my starting weight was 304. I am currently at 152. I have been working out 6 days a week for 7 month doing high intensity interval training and running. I just completed my first 10k and am now onto a half marathon. You have to eat more calories or your body will start eating your muscle. With all the weight I have lost I have only lost 4 pounds of lean muscle mass. I have experienced Hair loss which is frustrating but continue to take vitamins(b-12,vitamin d, Biotin, Iron, multi, and a probiotic) I try to get at least 100g of Protein a day. post-245034-14433551779046_thumb.jpg

You look amazing!