Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liver shriking diet question...

So my surgery is not scheduled yet. I have two more appts this month and hopefully will have my final appt with the surgeon this month on the 29th where if everything is finally completed, I will be just waiting for insurance approval (nerve racking). Last month the surgeon was happy that I hadn't gained any weight (but I have only lost a pound in two months). She said I wasn't required to start the liver shriking diet until two weeks before surgery, but I could really start whenever I wanted because the more weight loss I have before surgery the easier the surgery and recovery and it will jump start my weight loss after surgery.

So I talked to my nutritionist about easing my way into the liquid diet by doing Protein Shakes and bars during the day (two of each), drinking all my Water and still having a sensible dinner. She said that would be fine. Except doing this for a week, I GAINED 4 lbs!! Did I mention that I have a requirement by insurance to have no net gain preop?? Needless to say, I freaked out! Plus, I was turning into some crazy lunatic waiting on the ONE meal I got to eat a day!

So today I have started the all liquid diet and I will just do this until surgery. It seems to be easier on me to just stay away from any food all together at this point. I was given a list of approved liquids including broth, Protein drinks, unlimited water with lemon juice and Decaf black tea, sugar free Jello and popsicles and veg juice. However, tonight I started looking at the calories and realized that just having liquids all day I have already consumed over 600 calories!!

Is there a calorie limit to this liver shrinking diet?? I guess I just assumed I could have unlimited amounts of liquid since I could not eat! :(

My liver shrinking diet is for two weeks prior to surgery. I drink 3-4 (no more than 5) Premier Protein shakes a day with one string cheese and one hard boiled egg (OR two string cheeses).

All in all, I was told not to go over 900 calories. I think 600 is decently low!

My pre-op diet was sf applesauce, sf Jello, broth, 8 ounces Gatorade, one Protein shake, light yogurt and all the Water I wanted. I took in about 60 calories a day or less. You should lose on that as I am sure like the rest of us the amount of calories prior was probably pretty high. Good luck and good for you for starting now. You are right, the weight you lose now will put you that much closer to your goal!

Thanks ladies. I didn't necessarily think 600 was bad per say (and I also didn't realize this is the end of the day and I probably won't add any more calories tonight, just Water and tea...), I guess I was freaking out how little I consumed added up to so much. Plus, I am a little more worried than normal probably after I gained 4lbs last week. Has anyone else had trouble with gaining weight on the Protein diet? I was doing two shakes and two bars and now I will only be doing three shakes so I thought maybe I was just doing too much? I will have 72 grams of Protein a day now and I am only required to have 60.

Wow I can't believe how little they expect you guys to eat! I start mine on 8/3 and I was told 2-3 Protein Shakes (breakfast and dinner preferred), 2 Snacks of fruit, and lunch is a salad with 6 ounces of lean Protein on it.

I drank only 4 Protein Shakes and drank tons of Water during mine. My shakes were 160 calories a peice. So I would have been around 600 calories.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did y'all lose doing this liquid diet? I am hoping to lose at least 35 before surgery but wasn't sure if that was realistic or not.

Hi LisaS73- I actually gained weight during my supervised WL appointments. I was told to start off with 1 shake then work my way up to 2 so I could prepare my body for the pre-op diet which is 3 shakes for 14 days (once it is approved by my insurance). It was very frustrating because on my last appointment, the doctor did not submit until I lost some weight. I was really upset because I thought I was doing everything right. It turns out that I wasn't eating enough calories. I was working out hard by doing cardio and strength training 6 days a week and the calories that I was taking in wasn't enough to burn fat. I was taking in 800 calories then I jumped to 1100 and that seemed to work for me. One thing that I have realized is everyone's body is so different. What works for one, may not necessarily work for others. I talked to the doctor and the Nutritionist and they gave me some helpful hints. The doctor gave me 2 weeks to show some sort of progress and when I went to weigh in I lost 10 pounds. So... He submitted my info.

I know it can be frustrating, but keep trying and don't give up. Make sure you get your NUT and doc involved if you need new ideas. Counting calories and staying hydrated is important as well. Keep your eye on the prize. Good luck????

Thanks ladies. I didn't necessarily think 600 was bad per say (and I also didn't realize this is the end of the day and I probably won't add any more calories tonight, just Water and tea...), I guess I was freaking out how little I consumed added up to so much. Plus, I am a little more worried than normal probably after I gained 4lbs last week. Has anyone else had trouble with gaining weight on the Protein diet? I was doing two shakes and two bars and now I will only be doing three shakes so I thought maybe I was just doing too much? I will have 72 grams of Protein a day now and I am only required to have 60.

I don't start my pre-op diet till next week, but I'll let you know! I have not gained from doing a protein diet before, but I would suggest looking at the nutritional info on the bars. Typically, they have a LOT of sugar alcohols which don't "count" as carbs in the net count, but really, can have an impact on your blood sugar and kick you out of ketosis (fat burning stage) if you eat too many.

My NUT said to only eat bars etc once a day because of the sugar alcohols. I've noticed that if I eat only 3-4 bars a week instead of every day, I lose more weight that week. I've been doing low carb for 3.5 months and have lost 41lbs. (HW 371, CW 330). I had to lose 10% of my body weight before scheduling surgery.

Keep up the good work! I think doing 3 shakes and 1 bar will be better and you'll see more results! Hope this helps!

Today I did two bars, cuz I just really need to chew something and they are sooooo sweet. :-/ But on a good note, after only doing my liquid diet for 3 days, I lost 5 lbs! That all I gained plus 1!! So I am back on the "motivated" swing! But thanks for the advice, I am going right now to check the bar label.

My pre-op diet was 4 full weeks of no food and just drinking diabetic boost. So the total calories were suppose to be around 1000 calories.

I was also allowed tea, Water.

After not one morsel of food - I only lost 10 pounds in the month prior to surgery!

My pre-op diet was 4 full weeks of no food and just drinking diabetic boost. So the total calories were suppose to be around 1000 calories.

I was also allowed tea, Water.

After not one morsel of food - I only lost 10 pounds in the month prior to surgery!

Lord that must have been torturous!

My liver shrinking diet is for two weeks prior to surgery. I drink 3-4 (no more than 5) Premier Protein shakes a day with one string cheese and one hard boiled egg (OR two string cheeses).

All in all, I was told not to go over 900 calories. I think 600 is decently low!