Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone had any regrets of having the sleeve surgery due to MEDICAL COMPLICATIONS ONLY they have to live with everyday and have not resolved over time such as chronic nausea, pain, etc. Or even if you know someone who regrets having surgery due to medical complications? Thanks

Hi, I've had issues with throwing up often. Seems like just about anything can make me throw up. Fried food, spicy food, anything too rich, eating too fast, not chewing enough and on and on. Doctor says it could resolve itself after I'm a year out from surgery. But I've talked to someone else who it didn't resolve so I'm not sure if it will ever go away. I pretty much hate throwing up more than anything else I can imagine. The only thing I regret is not getting the surgery sooner. I've never felt so in control of my eating and weight.

I have a friend from my surgeon's office who had a leak early on and was in the hospital for her first few months post op and couldn't eat anything for most of that time. She doesn't have any regrets. Even I think I would have regrets if I had to go through what she did. But we're both close to our goal weight now so that sure helps.

My GERD got worse due to the sleeve. I am on heavy duty doses of a PPI, and have had several endoscopy's done since surgery. I was on liquids for 6 weeks straight after surgery due to constant regurgitation of anything I drank or ate. I still regurgitate food and drink up if I eat too much (and sometimes when I don't) Sometimes if I eat too late in the day and go to bed, I wake up due to a burning Fluid coming back up into my throat. I carry tums with me everywhere I go in case I get one of my bouts of heartburn due to something I ate that didn't quite agree with me.

I don't regret my surgery for a second.

Low blood sugar post-op. I've had to alter my diet some but no regrets!!!

Low blood sugar post-op. I've had to alter my diet some but no regrets!!!

Were you diabetic before the surgery? How does one deal with low blood surgars after the surgery since you cant have sugar? I am diabetic so I was just curious. What do you eat to raise the level?

Hi, I've had issues with throwing up often. Seems like just about anything can make me throw up. Fried food, spicy food, anything too rich, eating too fast, not chewing enough and on and on. Doctor says it could resolve itself after I'm a year out from surgery. But I've talked to someone else who it didn't resolve so I'm not sure if it will ever go away. I pretty much hate throwing up more than anything else I can imagine. The only thing I regret is not getting the surgery sooner. I've never felt so in control of my eating and weight.

I have a friend from my surgeon's office who had a leak early on and was in the hospital for her first few months post op and couldn't eat anything for most of that time. She doesn't have any regrets. Even I think I would have regrets if I had to go through what she did. But we're both close to our goal weight now so that sure helps.

So how common is it to have a leak? Being hospitalized for that long of a time is NOT an option for me. How is your friend now medically?

The complications post surgery I surely could have done without. The memory loss is by far the biggest pain in the ass I had to deal with. Second would be the way I have to treat left over food. Microwaves are extremely tricky to me now. Either I'll puke it up, or it will stay down without an issue.

The complications post surgery I surely could have done without. The memory loss is by far the biggest pain in the ass I had to deal with. Second would be the way I have to treat left over food. Microwaves are extremely tricky to me now. Either I'll puke it up, or it will stay down without an issue.

I just started doing research so I didn't know memory loss was an issue? What is the reasoning behind this? Too little food and nutrients? How long did that last?

Nutrients, in particular B Vitamin. I was okay about the first 3 weeks post surgery. But then a bad sinus infection which was causing mucus drainage into the stomach got me really sick. I was puking when only taking down Water let alone soft foods and liquids. I got severely dehydrated and my multivitams weren't enough. My primary doctor did some blood work and notice I have a deficeny in the B Vitamin area and got me on a prescription mult-vitamin as soon as he could. It took about a month for my memory to return to a functioning level. Its still not 100% but about 4 months ago it wasn't even 60%. And it was all short term memories too. Anything that happened within the past 2 to 3 months long term, or anything that happened that day. If I didn't write it down or recorded it, there was a very likely chance I would forget it.

I just started doing research so I didn't know memory loss was an issue? What is the reasoning behind this? Too little food and nutrients? How long did that last?