Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the tiredness end?

I am still pre-op. My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday...very excited! Pre-op diet has been relatively easy, but I am so tired! I have read that people are still tired after surgery and was just wondering if it is from the reduction in calories, coca use right now I am at about 600-800 calorie. If it drops to 400-500, I'll be a zombie!???? ????

And how long should I expect to be tired? Days? Weeks? Thanks in advance!

I was pretty tired for about 3-4 weeks after but every day got better. Make sure to stay hydrated and get your Protein in. This is MAJOR surgery and we often forget that as we are able to be up and about so soon. I see some post they are tired more than others so I also think it is also up to how fast you heal. Good luck!

I was told to expect to be tired of I am doing the program right for about four to five months. I don't have a lot of energy for long periods of time but since I cut my BP meds back I don't feel as tired. hydration can cause tiredness too.

I was very weak and tired from a couple days after surgery for about 5 weeks could barely shower I started to force myself to get up walk around and do something anything if even for a few mins at a time once I started to be able to get fluids in in the amounts recommended I started to feel better I work on my feet all day I was so nervous cuz I didn't think I'd be able to do it I was lucky that I had a two week period where I was uh shall we say without a boss so I could go at a slower pace for a bit and work back up to my normal level which helped a lot

Wow! Thank you, that's good to know I won't be up to full energy right away. At least I won't be worried that something is wrong!

I was tired for about four weeks post op. I just listened to my body and made sure I got plenty of rest and naps. I did light exercise for the first few months- just walking. As the weight came off I began to have tons of energy. Then I started working out more. One year post op and I feel fantastic!!

Good luck to you :)

I was tired during the pre-op diet and straight up exhausted for the first couple weeks after surgery... I got out of the shower and just felt completely spent from taking a showing. Hopped right into bed lol But I am just over three weeks out and back to work and feeling pretty decent. I am also 51lbs down so my feet have stopped hurting and I just feel better. I am not feeling "full of energy" but am feeling so much better.

Same here as with others. I get pooped quickly and I just have to stop and rest. Two weeks post op. I am learning how to pace myself. I think we all forget that this really is major surgery and not just something itty bitty. The healing process is not quick and the whole procedure takes a toll on us. Keep hydrated above all and rest as needed. Walk often even for short periods of time and think positive thoughts. You are going to do great!!

I am nine days post op. I was tired 1st couple days of liquid diet. I can defiantly tell when I am not getting my Protein. Same with after surgery. Protein 1st is no joke. I get tired if I over exert. Been trying to take it easy but not stay in bed. I get up and walk and have been to work and shopping. Keep thinking object at rest stays at rest object active stays active. I feel like it is important to stay

Moving want to avoid blood clots. Feel that staying

Mildly active is helping me heal faster.

I was sleeved June 1st and I'm still experiencing a lot of being tired. The first 3 weeks was total exhaustion. I could barely do anything at all. I'd have to rest for 15 minutes after taking a shower. It's starting to get better now that I'm eating a lot of dense Protein.

Whew it's good to see so many tired peeps! ???? My surgery was June 18 & it's all I can do to walk up the stairs without feeling like I'm going to pass out, but it seems every day gets a tiny bit easier. Getting all my Protein & really working hard on the Water. (it's not as easy now! gulp gulp)

I find that I am definitely more tired on days that I don't drink as much Water. I'm also taking my bari vits 2x day per dr instrx. I've been tempted to have coffee but surgeon says not yet. ????

Whew it's good to see so many tired peeps! ???? My surgery was June 18 & it's all I can do to walk up the stairs without feeling like I'm going to pass out, but it seems every day gets a tiny bit easier. Getting all my Protein & really working hard on the Water. (it's not as easy now! gulp gulp)

I find that I am definitely more tired on days that I don't drink as much Water. I'm also taking my bari vits 2x day per dr instrx. I've been tempted to have coffee but surgeon says not yet. ????

When did you do steps? My husband seems to think I shouldn't for a few days....it is one of those things that I keep forgetting to ask my surgeon.

Good to know about the water/tiredness correlation!

Thank you!

oh sorry; I meant when I walk up to our 2nd & 3rd floors. That's all! I was able to walk up a flight of stairs or two by the time I came home. It just makes me so tired!

The day after I had surgery, and before I was discharged home later that afternoon, a therapist from PT came and made sure I could do the everyday things I needed to do at home. That included taking me to a hospital stairwell and practicing walking up and down those stairs. I live in a 3 story house so it was very helpful!