Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Meal Depression

Well not real depression. I am scheduled for my MGB surgery on July 1st. I am just realizing I am having several things for the last time and I am not sure how I feel about that. Don't get me wrong I know I will be in such a better place after I lose the weight but I have been emotionally tied to different foods for a long time.

Am I just a wacko or have others dealt with this and is it truly worth it?

You are not a wacko! Everyone goes through mourning their favorite foods before having weight loss surgery assuming they will never again get to eat that food. In fact, most of us had food funerals.

For me spaghetti was my favorite all time food since I was a child. I ate as much Pasta as I could. The night before I started my liquid diet, I had the best spaghetti dinner ever thinking I would never again get to eat it.

Well, the reality is that is simply not true. You can eat anything you want or your new stomach tolerates, just in much smaller quantity and not as frequently.

The weird thing is, your tastes will change and those things you once craved won't be nearly as appealing. For example I have gas spaghetti twice since I had my surgery. I really don't care for it any longer. I have pizza every few weeks. I love pizza! I can eat it with no problem. When I have it I always eat thin crust pizza and can only eat a small piece and I am full. Even when I have a craving for ice cream, I have a few spoonfuls and I am full and satisfied.

My nutritionist has taught me that if you learn good habits, indulging once in a while won't hurt you.

You will learn and love to eat good Protein and good carbs. Your body will feel best when you do that. 2 bites of Protein for every one bite of good carbs is what I have been taught. I actually crave good meats like chicken, steak, pork and vegetables. I can no longer stand fried, greasy fast food. It tastes horrible!

If you stick to the food plan there is nothing you can't indulge in once in a while but you will find that most of it, you don't even care for any longer. Even that pizza, it's ok but I would much rather have some good protein, veggies and fruit.< /p>

You just wait and see! Follow the plan and you sill be successful and not worry so much about the foods you used to love. For now, have that food funeral!

By the way, I had bypass and have lost 111lbs in 8.5 months. I have 34 left to go. I eat for fuel only. Food no longer rules my life.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery! I wish you a safe and speedy recovery!

Maverick, you are a bit wacko. But, you have lots of company. We have all given food immense power over our lives, our health, even our relationships. This surgery is about taking that power back.

I notice we are about the same size, my starting BMI over 50 as well. With just 10 weeks since my bypass, my diabetes is almost gone, off all blood pressure meds, crippling edema gone, much more flexible, blood work great, and almost 70# gone, my BMI down to 43, I can't imagine any favorite food on my addictions list that could even come close to equaling these fantastic results! I have gone through many sizes of jeans -- 54 waist, to 52, to 50, to 48 -- just got into a pair of 46's yesterday, and ordered 44's and 42's so I have them when I get further down the BMI chart.

I agree with all of the other replies!

My NUT had me write a "Goodbye" letter to my favorite/emotional foods. 6 weeks out and have had a difficult time with some of my emotions but I did not fall back to the food.< /p>

Just my little input

Take care!

The only "funeral" I had was for my fat ! That , and a funeral for all the too big clothes I couldn't wear anymore. But no "funeral" for food !! I can still eat most of what ate before, just different textures or substituting something similar. chicken breast, no , chicken thighs , yes. Raw broccoli no , raw celery , yes. You get the picture. I can still eat pizza, cheeseburgers, fries, I just eat them rarely and and in small amounts. Its kind of like cooking Soup or stew and rwali

(Sorry, operator error, ) and realizing you're out of one ingredient like salt. Would you give up the whole thing or would you substitute something similar ? Same thing. Hope this helps ! Good luck !!

Surgery scheduled 12/2014. My plan was a great steak dinner out. That dinner turned into several one being Chinese. I never was a food junkie but since I would never eat just anything again I bought chips, ice cream and mini chocolate bars. Gained 15lbs. Surgery was canceled 36 hours prior due to the hospital & insurance parting ways and no follow up set up. So, I was hooked on ice cream. I've gained another 8lbs and I'm sure more in between. I say don't over do it cause you never know if something will cause surgery to be put off. My new Dr is awesome. Hoped for June, then July and now I know it will be September. He's going on vacation and never does surgeries 2 weeks prior in case patients have any issues. Very commendable. I was 148 now 164. I'm 5'4 and all stomach. I'm sick over what I did w/food. I'll now be a few months from being 57 when it's finally done. I became severely ill in 2000 & no dr of any kind knew what was wrong. They put me on everything. They never told me all those drugs caused weight gain. I would have refused. And I didn't expect a pre surgery diet others talked about. I've talked to patients in the waiting room who are twice my size, one had surgery a year ago. I called later & the nurse just poured out info. She said everyone's insides are different. The machine they use doesn't turn corners. They need as much room around the liver as possible. Said larger people can have less liver fat. Go figure? like working in a shoebox. At least it's not 2 weeks of liquids, I'd be flat on my back. 2 Protein shakes & one meal per day. Already super weak but? I'll do whatever I have to. I want to cross my legs again, get out the car not roll out. I had to buy a hand held shower head which I'd keep anyway it's awesome. My knee's have been so bad I couldn't walk at times. My fault, always sat Indian style at work. Dr's secretary had surgery and said her knee's were the worst but after she lost the weight no more pain at all. I'm banking on that. And now low back pain gets really bad due to bone loss. Have to use the scooter at Walmart & it's demeaning. I'm broken down and shouldn't be at my age. I have no help, so if I'm going to be able to do for myself I must have this surgery. I don't really cook, could care less about food unless I eat out and still don't stuff myself. Got the book, for dummies. I've glanced at it and it used some great, simple recipes. Hoping eating like we have to will make food go way further.

Newsandy56, Im sorry you're having such a rough time, but I hope your surgery goes well in September and you have a quick recovery. I know you're having gastric bypass and that I was banded, but we're about the same height and age. Nobody , but nobody should have to feel bad about the scooter and feeling "broken down ". I hope things go well for you , and you are a "Success Story ! " Good luck !!!!!

Thank you for the kind words. I always think, others have it worse. I really feel the knee & back issues will be far better after weight loss. The big hospital I started with no longer does bands. No clue why, I did read they have to have to adjusted a lot. Now it will be around another March before I hopefully, reach my final weight. Couldn't find how to reply, then saw I wasn't logged in. lol This site right now, is hard to figure out. It's the operator

Newsandy56, Im sorry you're having such a rough time, but I hope your surgery goes well in September and you have a quick recovery. I know you're having gastric bypass and that I was banded, but we're about the same height and age. Nobody , but nobody should have to feel bad about the scooter and feeling "broken down ". I hope things go well for you , and you are a "Success Story ! " Good luck !!!!!