Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am scheduled for June 12 for my Surgery. I am on day 3 of my liquid diet.

My pre-op nurse told me no caffeine 2 days before the surgery and basically a month after.

Like many American's I drink coffee daily. Maybe 2 servings a day only in the morning. If I don't have my coffee I become irritable, get terrible headaches, and all the other classic symptoms of withdrawal.

I know I wont be able to take ibuprofen (because of its blood thinning effects) to help with the headaches.

I dont need the coffee, but the caffeine withdrawal plus surgery may be overwhelming.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Advice?

You still have time to wean yourself off the caffeine before surgery. Yes, going through post-op and caffeine withdrawal at the same time would suck.

I was a serious Diet Coke addict so I started by reducing my daily consumption gradually, increasing my Water consumption and also drinking tea (lower caffeine).

I am sure someone who was a coffee drinker can help you with a good way to decrease and then eliminate you caffeine over the next week or so.

I can't guarantee it will be easy but it would certainly be better than going cold turkey two days before surgery.

Good luck.

I'm scheduled for June 15th. I weaned myself off coffee and other caffeine sources over the last few weeks. I didn't think combining the liquid pre-op diet and caffeine withdrawal would be good for anyone who had to be around me during that time. ;)

But what I did was slowly decrease how much coffee I had--from two big travel mugs a day, to one, to a large regular mug, to a medium mug, to a small mug, then none. Other people seem to have had good luck cutting their regular coffee with Decaf, adjusting the ratio until they were on all decaf.

I had similar caffeine habit before. I cut down to one cup during pre-op diet. I didn't have any day before surgery on clear liquid diet. After the surgery you don't miss it. I am over a month out and tried to drink some yesterday. I only managed 1/2 cup and didn't really enjoy it. Didn't bother trying again today.

coffee is good again. ;)

But I'm talking about coffee -- not the monster sugary versions of it available in most drive-thrus and at Starbucks.

From the NYTimes May 11, 2015 issue:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/upshot/more-consensus-on-coffees-benefits-than-you-might-think.html?WT.mc_id=2015-MAY-KWP-AUD_DEV-0501-0531&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=MAYAUDDEVFB&kwp_0=16510&_r=0

I also love my caffeine. I quit it somewhat the week before surgery and didn't drink any for a month afterwards. The nice thing though is that during the worst of the withdrawal you are totally jacked up on narcotics in the hospital, so you don't really have to deal with the massive headache. When you are released from the hospital the withdrawal is over, so it's just a matter of avoiding the craving for a month.

So I am scheduled for June 12 for my Surgery. I am on day 3 of my liquid diet.

My pre-op nurse told me no caffeine 2 days before the surgery and basically a month after.

Like many American's I drink coffee daily. Maybe 2 servings a day only in the morning. If I don't have my coffee I become irritable, get terrible headaches, and all the other classic symptoms of withdrawal.

I know I wont be able to take ibuprofen (because of its blood thinning effects) to help with the headaches.

I dont need the coffee, but the caffeine withdrawal plus surgery may be overwhelming.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Advice?

You have to get used to not drinking coffe as much,you can have one cup of caffinated coffe a day after 7 weeks post-op and as much Decaf as you want.This a life changing experience and we all have to change our eating habits.NO PAIN NO GAIN.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv. I have not yet had surgery. Having said both these things, I'll also add that the jury is out on this one. Some doctors forbid carbonization &/or caffeine post op - others say it makes no difference, in moderation. I would say this one should be a point of discussion between you & your surgeon, rather than his nurse. (No flames please, I'm an RN...)

The reason I say this is because my son is a candidate for VSG - as am I. When he saw the NUT and explained that he "needed" caffeine as he works on the railroad and works all 3 shifts in any given week, she said he should change jobs & avoid caffeine altogether due to acid reflux. Seriously?!?

Upon speaking with his surgeon, he was told he could try caffeine in small amounts to determine it's effect.

I've also learned that "nutritionist" is a term without legal definition, unlike Registered Dietician. NO offense intended to the many well qualified nutritionists out there.

I love coffee too and have started drinking half regular and half Decaf and will then work down to all decaf. I drink diet coke too and I guess I will just half to drink less and less of it as I go until pre op diet.