Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to bypass 6 month pre op appointments all over again

Hi I'm band to bypass revision. I have to go through another six month of appointments before I can have it done. Did anyone else have to go through this? I should be done with all the preop appts by the end of August . I was hoping I didn't have to go through the appointments but the surgeon said it mandatory for insurance purposes even with blue cross. I had my band put in on jan 2006, then was revised in March of 2013 for a slipped band. I initially lost about 70 pounds. Then slowly I regained all of the weight back. Can't wait to get this surgery lots of joint pains and pre diabetic. I have only one question. How long after surgery can I go back to an office job?

If this is coming from the insurance company you need to contact Lindstrom Obesity Advocacy. You can google them for their contact information. They have helped many people work thru these types of ridiculous issues with insurance companies. In fact, they are handling my appeal. I have all of the confidence in the world in them!!!! Having to go thru another 6 month documentation doesn't seem quite right especially since you've had procedures previously. My surgeon's office got all of my information screwed up when they sent in for predetermination so I was denied TWICE!!! One reason: need 6 month documented weight-loss plan. NOT!!!!

Employee turnover in surgeon's offices is crazy so 1/2 the time they don't get things right. You really need to contact Lindstrom before you do anything else. Initial call is free.

Edited by Mrs. Schu

As far as how long you should be off, I was off for 1 1/2 weeks from my office job and went back 1/2 days for a couple of days before returning to full time.

Thanks notinks I work seven days a week and am the sole provider for my family so afraid I will take to long to get back to work

Edited by Maraki

Thanks mrs schu I will definitely look into contacting them

Edited by Maraki

Maraki, I have to do it. This Tuesday is my month 5 appt with the nutritionist. Sigh. .

It really sucks when you already did it! Then because the surgery we chose didn't work we have to do the six months over ohhhh well I think of it this way..... Better later than never????

They need to see you're committed and can follow a diet @maraki. First time i did it i only had to show proof of previous diet attempts. This time with same insurance 8 need the 6 month consecutive dieting.

I'm going back after a week and half. Full time, wish me luck! Doc said with a desk job I could probably go back after a week. Surgery June 1st

@maraki--that's why I'm fighting with an advocate. You have no guarantee you'll be approved even AFTER the 6 months. Then where will you be?! You will have lost 6 months and your health will have deteriorated even more!

Edited by Mrs. Schu

My insurance required me to do 3 months this time around.

My insurance counted all the years with the band as my "diet" attempts. I was approved easily the first time. However, my employer is a health system that does the procedures and they are self-insured, so it was likely easier for me. I had my revision done ten days ago, and I am fairly young (38) and active, and I feel that I am definitely not ready for work. I am fortunate in that I pay for short-term disability and have a large bank of PTO, so I can afford to take more time off, but I would recommend taking off as much time as you can possibly afford. This has wiped me out far more than the band did. I went back to work after one week for the band, but I definitely wouldn't feel safe doing that now. Just today is the first time I've woken up without needing even Tylenol. I am only getting 300 calories a day, and I'm sure that is affecting my stamina. My program requires two weeks of heavily restricted full liquids, whereas I know other programs will allow eating earlier on. I have my post-op nutrition appointment on Tuesday where I will be advanced to most solid Protein. I feel I'll be able to do more then. Yesterday, post-op day 9, I took a shower to go to Target and had to postpone because the shower took too much out of me! If your job is super-sedentary, it may work, but I'd be nervous at only one week....

My insurance counted all the years with the band as my "diet" attempts. I was approved easily the first time. However, my employer is a health system that does the procedures and they are self-insured, so it was likely easier for me. I had my revision done ten days ago, and I am fairly young (38) and active, and I feel that I am definitely not ready for work. I am fortunate in that I pay for short-term disability and have a large bank of PTO, so I can afford to take more time off, but I would recommend taking off as much time as you can possibly afford. This has wiped me out far more than the band did. I went back to work after one week for the band, but I definitely wouldn't feel safe doing that now. Just today is the first time I've woken up without needing even Tylenol. I am only getting 300 calories a day, and I'm sure that is affecting my stamina. My program requires two weeks of heavily restricted full liquids, whereas I know other programs will allow eating earlier on. I have my post-op nutrition appointment on Tuesday where I will be advanced to most solid Protein. I feel I'll be able to do more then. Yesterday, post-op day 9, I took a shower to go to Target and had to postpone because the shower took too much out of me! If your job is super-sedentary, it may work, but I'd be nervous at only one week....

Thanks for the very detailed information I really needed that. I'm going to see how everything goes a day at a time I guess

Hi thanks for your help. I think you're really lucky I will take it as it comes I hope it's not very painful

I went back after about 1 1/2 weeks. Once I was back at work I felt that it helped keep me in a schedule with fluids and Protein. I was able to chop up my day and that is when I really started getting all of my fluids and protein in. I do admit that at 6 weeks post op I am still pretty beat at the end of the day.

Unfortunately I've had 2 setbacks and spent some time back in the hospital due to a sever stricture but I am very lucky to have a boss and work place that has been very understanding.