Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about dumping syndrome with gastric bypass....advice...thoughts?

I am scheduled to have gastric bypass surgery on July 9th. I am worried about dumping syndrome. At one of my classes one of the speakers sent talked about this being why he chose the sleeve over gastric bypass...

Anyone who has had surgery have any experience with this?

I've had some mild dumping. My heart races, I get sweaty and then about 5 minutes later, I'm in the restroom.

BUT...I avoid whatever I ate mistakenly so it doesn't happen again. Like ice cream, or frozen yogurt I just cannot do. I've tried sugar free also, but my new stomach just doesn't like it.

For me, it's high sugar foods or high fat that can be a problem typically. And like I said, as long as I avoid those foods I'm good!

I'm 7 months out and have only had that happen a handful of times. In the beginning I was nauseous a lot, but not dumping.

Thank you that is helpful. Some days I am 100% sure this is what I need to do to get healthy and am sure that I am making the right decision. Other days I hear someone talk about dumping syndrome and it freaks me out.

I dump occasionally. I'm grateful for it in a way. Makes me more vigilant about what i eat.

I was scheduled for bypass surgery, but freaked out and canceled two weeks prior. I was also afraid; not only about dumping, but the whole malabsorption thing. I've known a couple of women who were Iron deficient and needed IV infusion every day for a long time. That doesn't happen to everyone, but it was enough to sway me in less invasive direction.

I dumped yesterday.

It was definitely awful but it taught me what I can't eat! Otherwise I've been feeling great at 11 days post-op!

Not everyone who has bypass gets dumping syndrome. Sometimes I actually wish I did.

The only time I get sick is if I overeat. And you don't know it until you take one bite too many. I believe this is true of all WLS.

Also the malabsorption only occurs if you don't take your supplements and go to your check ups to have labs done. If you do what you are supposed to this should not happen.

Again, all WLS surgeries required supplements and lab work.

I had my RNY 6 months ago and still haven't had a single episode of dumping. So, not everyone will have issues with it. If you eat healthy anyway, it shouldn't be something you have to worry about. If you don't, it might be a good reminder!

I totally understand why you mean by one day knowing this is what you know you need to do and being so sure of yourself and then hearing something that freaks you out! I'm in that boat, Surgery is June 1st. I probably would have changed my mind a million times if my surgeon didn't charge a $1000 if you change or cancel your date. Most days I am sure. I know this is the only thing I can do, I've tried everything else. Whatever happens can't be any worse than what I'm doing to my body now! So I'm going in head first and I'm going to do everything I'm told as to avoid as many complications as possible. This is my only chance to get healthy!

No dumping here also. I also just get sick if I overeat. Fifteen months and 120 pounds down.

I am one month post op with bypass, only one episode of dumping, I always have to tease the tiger and find out for myself if dumping is real or just a scare tactic! So, I was having refried Beans and all they had was regular high fat cheese, which I had been warned about. The Beans are fine, no problem, but I had been told only low fat cheese. I thought, well, that could not apply to ME! I am special. Whoa baby, it went right through me and out the back in 15 minutes, felt lousy. So, won't do that again!

I actually am grateful for dumping -- it is one's bodies signal that we simply cannot eat like we used to, ever again. Same with pouch blockage due to eating too fast, man, that is painful. But it happened once to me, very painful, walked it off and almost threw up. From then on, I take tiny bites and chew it to paste.

I am glad to have had the bypass... but know many whom did great on the sleeve.

Also the malabsorption only occurs if you don't take your supplements and go to your check ups to have labs done. If you do what you are supposed to this should not happen.

Again, all WLS surgeries required supplements and lab work.

I believe that is true most of the time, but there ARE people who just don't absorb Iron well after bypass and do require the infusions. yes, rare, and yes some may be due to not taking it but I'm pretty sure most of them would gladly take their supplements to avoid having it IV. Not a fun trip.

Thank you everyone. It helps to hear everyone's different experiences. I know not everyone is the same but it helps.

Would you like to share why you chose bypass over vsg? My doctor tried to sway me towards bypass, but I'm going with the vsg after careful consideration.

Anyway - sending you good wishes!