Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How bad is day 2? If day one is surgery how bad is day2?

Day one surgery.

Day 2 how bad? What did you feel like doing or did you sleep full time?

On Day Two, I was still in the hospital and walked a lot. I took a shower. They gave me some good drugs, so I wasn't in any pain. That afternoon I went home. No biggie.

My advice -- don't focus so much on the perceived awfulness of this surgery. The truth is that for most patients it's not that awful.

Focus on what it will help you achieve.

A positive attitude on this journey will be one of the best tools you can bring along.

I am on day 2 and at the hospital with good meds was wonderful, I only spent 1 night at hospital, now that I'm not in the good pain killers I'm suffering! When I breath my shoulders hurt, any thing I sip on I can feel it from the beginning to the end, going through my esophagus and sleeve. Dr prescribed liquid acetaminophen and it helps for 2 hours then have to re take!

My question is when does this discomfort go away? I woke up every 2-3 hours in pain last night! Just called Dr who said to keep observing myself and that it should get better.

I had no pain on day 1 or day 2. I had to look down and see that I actually had surgery. After meds wore off, I had mild soreness. VA Hospital Ctr with Dr, Mayes was AMAZING!

I was completly moserable the first 5 days but i had things go wrong yall wont have... i had internal bleeding and it was because of a car wreck i was in 1 1/2 yr b4 surgery the meds they had me on messed up my insides luckly i had a good doctor that fixed the bleeding and was able to sleeve me....

I was completly miserable the first 5 days but i had things go wrong yall wont have... i had internal bleeding and it was because of a car wreck i was in 1 1/2 yr b4 surgery the meds they had me on messed up my insides luckly i had a good doctor that fixed the bleeding and was able to sleeve me... i do not regret it and would do it again even if the pain was worse the pain is only temporary as alot of things are and in time it gets better and u will be amazed at how happy you are later down the road... good luck on your adventure its so worth it

I was in totally manageable pain, active and in great spirits. But I was really tired that whole first week. I did not have the piercing pain some people have with gas causing radiating pain to the shoulder though I did when I had the band and was expecting it.

I really didn't experience much pain. I had the SADI procedure so I was in the hospital for 3 days. They used a local anestesia in the incision areas that lasts about 96 hours so I never had site pain. I had an NG tube for the first 24 hours or so and that alleviated a considerable amount of the gas pain. I got up and walked every 2 hours to help move the gas. I was tired but forget about sleep in a hospital, they will poke you and prod you every couple of hours anyway. :) I couldn't wait to get home to get a full night's rest! The only pain I really had was the JP drain tube, the night before I was released it started hurting once it was removed the next day, huge difference. I was prescribed Tylenol with Codine for home and I took it before bed the first couple nights just to help me sleep.< /p>

Don't let your mind start perceiving something that may never happen (I know easier said than done). But there is truth in having a positive outlook and attitude.

Edited by ShellMilliner

Day two? I was more exhausted than in pain. I did not have the shoulder gas that some folks get. Once the anesthetic wore off I just took hydrocodone for two more days. The most discomfort I had was from the largest incision near my belly button, and frankly, I have had bee stings that felt worse. Mostly I just needed rest - lots of rest.

The day after surgery they didn't let me eat or drink, so I was actually hungry and my lips were dry. (They gave me a sponge to wet my mouth but told me not to drink any of the water). My stomach was sore naturally. I kept hitting the pain med button but I don't think I actually needed it. I walked a few times and was glad to get out of bed. I had one or two instances of extremely brief nausea. I was amazed how good I felt, relatively. On the second day after surgery I got my liquid food (Jello, broth and tea (I think)). I wasn't doing the pneumonia-prevention plastic exhalation thing and my temperature spiked, after getting angry looks from the nurse, I started doing it, the temperature dropped and I was ready to go home.

I did not have pain at all. I was pretty tired but able to get around as I needed to and nothing hurt.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought-none of it.. My hernia repairs & gallbladder removal were rougher.. I was up walking around.. I rested a bit.. I was in good spirits and on good pain meds. But really nothing at all like I expected, in a good way. I had no complications & I've never once thrown up.

It's amazing to me how different the recoveries have been! I was supposed to get this done in January 2015, but broke my leg instead- got a plate and 8 screws. So coming into this I thought "no biggie." And really the pain from the actual surgery is no big deal at all- but the gas pain for me was absolutely problematic, and has prevented me from getting enough liquid in. I'm on day 3 now, which is much better than yesterday, and starting my day off with some Protein Shake. I WILL get my 60 oz and 60 grams in today!!