Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does it take you to drink a protein shake?

I am 6 days post op and met with my doctor and nutritionist today. I have been moved from the clear liquid diet to the next phase. Tonight I opened a Protein drink for dinner and I love this drink- it's Premier Protein Strawberries and Cream but I was not able to drink even half. So, although I am not surprised I guess it takes a concentrated effort? I was told I should drink 2 a day and like I said I really like them so that is fine with me. I'm just curious what others do and how they handle it?

At a week out, maybe an hour... I make my drink and carry it around and sip on it. A few little sips, a couple of minutes later a few more little sips... until it is gone. I am 6-7 weeks post op, and it is the same now, about an hour.

Edited by liannatx

Eight months out it takes about 30 minutes roughly to finish up my shake. I drink the EAS Carb Control shakes, I think they are about 11 Fluid ounces, not entirely sure.

Thanks Guys! I have adjusted my planning to assume an hour to drink the Protein drinks to be on the safe side. I appreciate the feedback.

I'm only able to get in about 4 Oz in about 45 minutes. My dietician said to take it slow. Maybe I'm too slow. Everyone seems to be able to handle more than me. Should I try to up it?

During the first week, it took me most of the day to drink 1 shake. I was lucky if I could get in 2. By day 10, I could do 2 on a regular basis. I never got to more than that. Week 3 I started with purees and would get 2 shakes and maybe half a yogurt over the course of the day.

I'm day 8 and still struggling to get 1 shake down in a few hours! You are not alone.

Good Morning,

Well, I am definitely the exception. I could drink the Premier shake in about 5 minutes since day 3. I am now just about 3 months out. However, I would purposely choose to slow it down. My Dr. advances us to solid foods after the first week. But, I truly believe my sleeve is large and allows me to eat without restrict. However, I truly can't complain because I am still losing steadily. I am not losing fast but, I don't care about that. I just want the weight to stay away. LOL.

Brigette

How long it takes shouldn't be your focus at only a week out. I'm 6months out tomorrow and can offer you only what I experianced....6 days out was tough it was a slow constant battle to get in the required amount my nut/dr wanted. I failed for days,weeks, months. However, each and every day I tried and tried. I remember starting a Protein drink in the morning while getting ready for work..I am at work by 615-630 am and sometimes it would take me until 8-9am to finish. Keep in mind the sleeve is healing. So take your time and sip sip sip until you can get the amount in daily. Walking helps keep things moving. And with time it will become easier and easier to get I. liquids. My dr/nut provided multi layer phases post op. Clear Liquids to full liquids to purée.. I was 12wks before I could have any type of raw veggies. With each new day/phase came new challenges. The main focus is do what you can do, stay in track, stay positive and things really do get better. Just keep it slow ......

Hugs of support.

I'm 3 days post and started to feel goofy. I did a mix shake and was able to drink 4oz in 20-30 mins. Put the rest in fridge. I feel short on Protein so I'm going to focus on that for a few days. Good luck

I'm only able to get in about 4 Oz in about 45 minutes. My dietician said to take it slow. Maybe I'm too slow. Everyone seems to be able to handle more than me. Should I try to up it?

I'm with you, everyone else sounds like their guzzling thiers compared to me. An 18oz drink takes me a few hours, but perhaps I am not wholly concetrating on getting it down.

Brigette you are talking about me.

It took me 30 minutes to drink a premier Protein shake first couple weeks after surgery. I am now 3 months out and just finished my Premier Protein Shake is less than 5 minutes. I can't guzzle shakes or Water like I used to, but I have a 20 oz cup at home that I drink a couple times per day and I can finish it in 5 minutes as well.